Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
@milmast
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i had a quick question.

Do you guys ever experience wheel hop if you ever launch the car? I've been told that it can be reduced with coilovers and setting the damping/rebound, but is there a better way to eliminate, or reduce it even more?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Not in an accord but an engine damper would help
I have an Accord, definitely have wheel hop and I have an engine damper so... Going to have to disagree with you there...

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Well I suppose the "Not in an Accord" part would require specifying...

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
anything to help with traction is a good thing. Trying out several ideas and see what works best for you. Keeping weight on the front end is important for traction. A cheap trick we did years ago was to put a thick piece of hard rubber in between the coils of the rear shocks to keep the back from squatting when you make the hit and keeps the weight from transferring to the rear. I installed very stiff rear springs on my turbo b18 civic to help this but at one point the car will start to lift instead of transferring the weight but it helps big time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would assume wider and stickier tires would help as well, or at least couldn't hurt.

I do have the same issue it's very noticeable on the V6.

·
@milmast
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its probably not as noticeable on the 4 cylinder however it is annoying nonetheless. Stickier tires will not change the fact that the car will still get wheel hop once the tires let loose though, it will just not get to that point of losing grip as easily. I'm wondering if people with Coilovers can eliminate it by tuning the damper settings

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
I don't think anyone makes any aftermarket performance motor mounts for 8G 4 cyl Accords just yet, but then again I hail from the 7th gen section :wave:. Those and stiff rear damping like Fast4door said are your best bets. An engine damper couldn't hurt, but I saw no really noticeable benefit from having one, apart from telling people what it is when they point it out under the hood :D.

Try some full drag slicks? LOL.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Full engine mount upgrade will get rid of wheel hop. It did on my mazdaspeed 3, of course it will make you sell the car also.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Unless you are taking your car to the strip, the cost v. benefit of traction bars, etc, is not good. Realistically, how many times a month are you experiencing wheel hop? And why? Experts will tell you the best suspension upgrade you can perform is getting good tires.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I read this too. I’m not sure what makes this person an expert. According to him wheel hop is caused by a horizontal distortion in the suspension. As the front wheels bite, they flex forward and throw off the toe-in. That changes geometry angles and grip. As that degree of that horizontal suspension flex varies, the tire’s grip varies and the wheels hop. This oscillation can occur several times per second.

If this theory is correct, the remedy is stiffer bushings. Soft bushings are what allow the suspension to flex under heavy load. That sort of makes sense. I always thought that weight transfer to rear of the car and the subsequent unloading of the front suspension (vertical distortion) was part of the problem too. I wish I understood it more. It’s hard to arrive at a solution of you don’t understand the problem.

Regardless, I’ve experienced wheel hop in every FWD car I’ve owned. A little wheel spin is good. Too much wheel spin can result in wheel hop. With each car I had to find its sweet spot. I chalked it up to learning each car and its limitations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts