Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I got my car back from the body shop after damage to the driver's side front area. I always look everything over to make sure everything is good, and sure enough, I discovered that two of the 5 lug nuts on the wheel were completely loose. I could take both off by hand.

Anyway, while jacking up the car to take off the wheel and re-do the lug nuts in a proper star pattern and proper torque, I discovered that the front driver's side wheel can "free wheel" move about 6 inches to the right and left while the wheel is raised.

The thing is, the car is both in Park, and the parking brake pulled to the tightest. Is this normal? I don't recall the front wheels having free motion like this when I last rotated my tires, especially with the vehicle in Park and parking brake pulled.

Thanks!

·
Banned
578 Posts
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I got my car back from the body shop after damage to the driver's side front area. I always look everything over to make sure everything is good, and sure enough, I discovered that two of the 5 lug nuts on the wheel were completely loose. I could take both off by hand.

Anyway, while jacking up the car to take off the wheel and re-do the lug nuts in a proper star pattern and proper torque, I discovered that the front driver's side wheel can "free wheel" move about 6 inches to the right and left while the wheel is raised.

The thing is, the car is both in Park, and the parking brake pulled to the tightest. Is this normal? I don't recall the front wheels having free motion like this when I last rotated my tires, especially with the vehicle in Park and parking brake pulled.

Thanks!
100% normal for the front wheels to have that much play on a front wheel drive car.

The parking brake only applies to the rear wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Do you mean the wheel rolls, or it moves "side to side?" The parking brake locks the rear wheels, not the front. If it moves side to side, then a tie rod is not on right.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant the wheel rolls, not side to side. Thanks everyone, it sounds like this is normal!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts