Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Accord_Li
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have 2004 honda accord.

Taking a long trip now from Miami to Chicago, and at the beginning, my wife is driving and noticed that the wheel is shaking really bad.

So I started driving and noticed that the steering wheel is rocking left and right of center at all speeds from 5mph up to 80mph, thought the balance fall off but checked all 4 wheels and the balance are all intact. Alignment should be ok as well because the steering is straight. Checked all bolts and they are right.

One thing I also noticed is that when reversing, the wheel turns to extreme left without hands on wheel..

Also, the entire car, the accelerator pedal is also shaking while the steering wheel is shaking

Don't know what's the cause, any advice?

I will upload some video when I have some chance.

Many thanks for your help and happy holidays.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Steering wheel Shaking at all speeds is most likely not tires out of balance. It could be one of the following.

1. Bent wheel
2. Bad tie rod end
3. Failed wheel bearing

I would have someone put the car on a lift and do a quick check of those components.

·
Accord_Li
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is a video after I got home and lifted the front end off the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ZGNHKI2kw

It looks like the CV axle on front passenger side is no good.

Steering wheel Shaking at all speeds is most likely not tires out of balance. It could be one of the following.

1. Bent wheel
2. Bad tie rod end
3. Failed wheel bearing

I would have someone put the car on a lift and do a quick check of those components.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
That is very interesting, I have seen a vibration on acceleration when the inner CV Joint is bad. Replacing the Axle with a remanufactured is relatively cheap and is not hard to do. Good troubleshooting on that problem.

·
Accord_Li
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is very interesting, I have seen a vibration on acceleration when the inner CV Joint is bad. Replacing the Axle with a remanufactured is relatively cheap and is not hard to do. Good troubleshooting on that problem.
Problem solved... upon further inspection this week that the cause was actually bad rim... possibly wife hit some curb hard and didn't let me know。。。 switched rear tires to the front and problem was completely gone... getting new tires and rim for the car.. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts