Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that I need to get new tires soon, but I made up my mind that I would like to go a +1 bigger to 17in wheels before i get tires. Now I don't know the weight of my current 16in, 10 spoke wheels for the '07 Accord, so if anyone could shed some light on that, it would be helpful. I'm not in favor of those thin spoked wheels that a lot of people have, so I wanted to get one with the wider spokes. I am noticing that they weigh a decent amount, so my question is, for a 17in wheel, would 23-25 lbs per wheel, affect anything? I have my eyes set on a couple wheels, Enkei BR7, Enkei GP5 and Momo Strike 2, but they are 23, 24, and 25 respectively. So comparing that to how much mine currently weigh, which i don't, would there be any losses that I would notice? Thanks

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Most Honda OEM 16” wheels weigh about 18-19 pounds. Going to a 24 lbs 17” wheel will very slightly decrease acceleration and braking. The effect will be a function of the wheel weight spinning a 1/2 inch farther from the axis and the addition of 5-6 pounds. The increase in rotational inertia will equal a loss of about 6 horsepower, depending on how fast your car is. (The faster the car the greater the delta. I'm assuming you have the I4 and not the V6.)

However tire weight is equally important. Tire weight spins even farther from the axis than the wheel and therefore has a greater impact on rotational inertia. Know your tire weights. A 215/50-17 Continental DWS weighs 21 pounds. A Michelin Pilot Sport (same dimensions) weighs 25 pounds. That four pound difference will affect rotational inertia equal to about 6 horsepower. Light weight tires are just as important as lighter weight wheels.

Will you feel a loss in acceleration going to 17s? Probably not. At most a 1/10th of a second to reach 60 mph. I imagine however you will absolutely feel an improvement in handling.

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most Honda OEM 16” wheels weigh about 18-19 pounds. Going to a 24 lbs 17” wheel will very slightly decrease acceleration and braking. The effect will be a function of the wheel weight spinning a 1/2 inch farther from the axis and the addition of 5-6 pounds. The increase in rotational inertia will equal a loss of about 6 horsepower, depending on how fast your car is. (The faster the car the greater the delta. I'm assuming you have the I4 and not the V6.)

However tire weight is equally important. Tire weight spins even farther from the axis than the wheel and therefore has a greater impact on rotational inertia. Know your tire weights. A 215/50-17 Continental DWS weighs 21 pounds. A Michelin Pilot Sport (same dimensions) weighs 25 pounds. That four pound difference will affect rotational inertia equal to about 6 horsepower. Light weight tires are just as important as lighter weight wheels.

Will you feel a loss in acceleration going to 17s? Probably not. At most a 1/10th of a second to reach 60 mph. I imagine however you will absolutely feel an improvement in handling.
Thank you for the helpful response Eagle. Now why would I notice an increase in handling, is it because the wheels are wider or heavier? I'm mainly concerned with mpg if that's going to dip much or not. I drive mostly city to and from work, so mpg is important to me.

I do have the i4, and though i do feel like the SRI gave me 1-2 mpg more, my roof rack brings it back to no gains, at least from what I have noticed. I'm trying to figure out if the style choice is worth the loss i would be getting in acceleration, even though i'm not racing with it. But I see many members go to 19s and 20s on their 08s+, so I wonder if they're feeling the decrease as well, because I can't imagine how heavy those wheels are.

·
Grinding Gears
269 Posts
Thank you for the helpful response Eagle. Now why would I notice an increase in handling, is it because the wheels are wider or heavier? I'm mainly concerned with mpg if that's going to dip much or not. I drive mostly city to and from work, so mpg is important to me.

I do have the i4, and though i do feel like the SRI gave me 1-2 mpg more, my roof rack brings it back to no gains, at least from what I have noticed. I'm trying to figure out if the style choice is worth the loss i would be getting in acceleration, even though i'm not racing with it. But I see many members go to 19s and 20s on their 08s+, so I wonder if they're feeling the decrease as well, because I can't imagine how heavy those wheels are.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

Car&Driver said:
Increasing wheel diameter and width, in turn, requires wider tires with shorter and stiffer sidewalls, which we found will increase skidpad grip, but as our test shows, there is a limit to this assertion.
According to Car and Driver's test, if MPG is your main concern then you are probably best off with OEM wheels (or downsizing if you REALLY want to). However, the difference in MPG may be negligible, depending on your tolerance for how much you can 'afford' to lose for the sake of bigger and better looking wheels.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
The article LSA references is classic! The 2.5-liter Golf used in that article and your 2.4-liter Accord are fairly close, making the Golf information very applicable to you. When going from 16” to 17” wheels, the Golf’s mpg decreased from 22.9 mpg to 22.8 mpg and the 0-60 time increased from 7.7 second to 7.8 seconds. Only you can determine if that 1/10nth on both parts is meaningful.

You asked why the handling would improve. The short answer is because the 17s have less sidewall flex than the 16s. The tire diameters for the 215/55-16 and the 215/50-17 are the nearly identical. The difference is that tires on the 17s have less height, ½ inch to be exact. That height (ratio) is referred to as the tire’s profile. A lower profile tire will not bend as much in corners. That can very easily be felt in handling. Turn-in will be sharper and more controlled.

There is a trade off however. Tires act sort-of-like a pillow in that they absorb bumps and other road irregularities. Lower profile tires have less off that pillow affect and transmit more impact harshness into the car. The car will not ride as well. Most experts will state that you need to get to 18s or 19s before that becomes an issue. Most will agree that a 17” wheel has the best blend of comfort and handling of all wheel sizes.

Take note however that 17” tires cost more than their 16” counterparts. It’s not by much, but before you make a decision you may want to research that too. Read that article if you already haven’t. It’s good!

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I did see that article actually, and it was very interesting. I think my next step will be to go and talk with someone at a tire shop and see what my options would be as far as tire sizes and such. Thanks so much for your help

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts
you'll be better off doing a lot of research on the interwebz on your own. those tire shops are in business of getting as much money out of your wallet as possible, kinda like an 70's used car salesman. talk to them, but don't trust them any farther than you can throw them.

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In your opinion, does 46lbs sound like a lot or the right amount for wheel and tire per corner?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
wheel weight

If you don't have low profile or ultra low profile tires that would be the best to keep the same diameter even when upgrading to 17 inch wheels. And I'm sure you can find 17 inch wheels with less than 18 pounds. Also as stated earlier, lighter tires is way more important (tire weight + air weight). The wheel weight close to the center of the wheel won't make much difference but the weight as far from the center. The smaller the wheels/diameter the better the MPG and performance of the vehicle. If you get low weight 17 inch wheels with low or ultralow profile tires/low weight then you are set, besides looking at an improvement in handling.:thmsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts