Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I fit a 20x9 +35 wheels all around with all fenders rolled? Tire choice I'm thinking 225/35 all around. I own a 03 accord sedan I'm upgrading my tein springs and tokicos for megan or function coilovers also adding camber kit to the rear if i needed? All advice will be appreciated!!! New to this forum :thumbsup:

Any help out there?

·
Banned
694 Posts
That's an awfully big wheel for this car. At that offset, the rears would definitely need to be rolled and the fronts you'd need to check for clearance.

But the main thing you'd have to do, get the drop springs first, wait a couple of weeks for them to settle in, then (if you can) have one of these wheels with a tire mounted test fitted on both front and back. Not just in the air, but put the car on the ground.

For the front, cut the wheel left and right to see for fender liner and the fender's edge for clearance. For the rear, see how close the wheel and tire is to the fender opening. Don't just drop the car back on the ground after installing the wheel, drive the car forwards and backwards a few times, to settle the springs and get the normal ride height before checking clearance.

My main concern would be these: clearance of the bottom of the front struts to the tire (225/35R20 is a lot taller than OEM size) and overall offset clearance of front and rear fenders (you could have a machine shop shave down the back pads of the wheels to reduce the offset and bring the wheel closer in, but be careful as to not bring it in too much to the struts, TAKE MEASUREMENTS BEFORE GOING THAT ROUTE!) and the overall excessive weight 20" wheels will add. They'll increase the stress on the tie rods, brakes, ball joints, sway bar links, transmission and axles...got to take that into account as well.

Hope this helps.

*edit*
I noticed the width of the rim...a 225/35 is not very ideal for that wheel, especially for this car. A 245/30 or 255/30 would be a lot better. I know those tires (225/35) tend to have low load ratings (sometimes 89 or 87) unless it says it's an extra load casing (it will say XL on it) so you'd need a wider and stronger tire for your car as well.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Honestly, the 9" width with a +35mm offset is pushing it for our 7G's, bud... I ran 19x8.5" +35mm in the rear and this is with me being rolled completely flat and my camber adjusted...

I also had to grind down some parts that couldn't be rolled, and hammer my mounting tabs all the way up as they kept rubbing. You'll be adding an extra 0.5" in width to my setup and are probably going to rub a lot on moderate to big bumps.

Also keep in mind that tire size will play a huge factor. I was running 235/35R19 which is the exact diameter as my stock 215/50R17 (so my speedometer was dead on) but they were very low profile and I only ran them in the summer months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chaosweaver-Im actually lowered already on tein stech springs with tokico blues for the pass 2 yrs Im planning to up grade too coilovers for a Lower look and fitment.
Dreaminaccord- I was looking into your 19x8.5 +35 setup too. Looks good. Can anyone correct me? I was told I can fit a 19×9.5 +40 on the rear of my sedan with rolled fenders and relocating rear bumper tap. If this true can 19×9.5 +40 fit the front? On tire I was told to run a 245/35 tire. Maybe a more stretched tire can give more clearance or this tire might be stretched enough? Thanks for the reply guys!!!!

·
Banned
694 Posts
If you want to go even lower, then you're going to make it more difficult. Take into account when you're adding coilovers, your alignment will constantly be out of wack every time you make adjustments. The toe, caster and even the camber will be effected and not simple to correct.

Second, stretched tires are just not safe. Especially with all the cheap, Chinese bargain tires everybody loves to buy. They have weaker casings and they may "stretch" good because of that, but are more prone to blowouts/complete tire failure. Looking "cool" isn't worth throwing common sense and safety to the wind. You can still have a good wheel and tire setup and be smart about it.

With that said, a 19x8 +35 wheel might be the max without going stupid about it. Anything 9" wide for a 7th gen is just too much and you'll run into clearance issues running the right width tire on it.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
It's on the aggressive side as mentioned above, but does depend on how much tire stretch and camber you are willing to run. I would take your current specs, enter what you are considering into an offset calculator and go measure so you can get a better idea on where the wheels will be sitting .

Also, have a lot of Megan coilovers in stock, let us know if we can assist you in any way!

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
To add onto Chris' statement regarding coilovers and alignments - one of the best things you can do is to buy an unlimited XX years alignment plan at a trustworthy shop. I have the 3 year unlimited plan at NTB, which normally I stay away from chains, but I know one of the technicians who drives a slammed Civic Si (he not only loves Honda/Acura, but he gets what it's like driving a lowered car). He is the only one I will let align my car and he does it perfectly every time :thmsup: The other guys kept so pissed, too, when I call in and ask "Is Christian working? No? Okay thanks" *hang up* LOL

Regarding your question about front wheels: I personally wouldn't even run my 19x8.5 +35mm in the front - they were just too wide and with me lowered where I am, I would rub like crazy. The 19x8 +35mm seemed to be just right and still looked pretty flush.

I also see you asked about a rear camber kit... if you are going coilovers you are definitely going to want to invest in this as it'll make yours and your mechanic's life SO much easier when you go to adjust your height and need a new alignment. I run the Ingall's toe/camber kit for the lower arms and have the Megan's upper rear camber kit :yes: After alignment, my toe and camber are always dead on and Christian thanks me every time for doing it right and investing into them! lol

If you want to go with a 19-20" wheel, why not look into the many OEM Honda/Acura wheels that run higher offsets (+42mm-55mm) - it'll allow you to run a wider wheel/tire combo but with the higher inset it'll give you a lot more fender clearance. Just a thought...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts