Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping I can pick some brains on the forums here. At what point do you / would you consider selling or upgrading your daily driver?

I've had my 2013 V6 Coupe for about 4.5 years and it's now at just above 120K miles. I would consider it my daily driver, although I haven't needed to drive to work in over a year now and we bought a new SUV about 6 months ago. I absolutely love my car and it's fully paid off, but I also don't want to worry about something breaking down in 2-3 years. Given the rarity, I would really only want to sell it to someone who I know would appreciate & care for it (not sure if that's overly sentimental, but I'm sure guys here feel the same way).

Other considerations:
1. No kids yet, but the SUV covers all areas of practicality.
2. Could live with only 1 car in the family, but having 2 is a plus. Depends on when our WFH status comes to an end.
3. This was the first car I ever bought on my own... so I may be overly attached.

Should I just enjoy the car until its last rev?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
You know the car's history better than anyone else, you are be in the best position to tell how reliable it is. To me what ended my previous car was rust. A stuck brake caliper was the sign sign. A leaking transmission fluid line due to rust drove the message home. I had already put enough miles on the car to get my money's worth so I decided it was time to move on.

Unless you have reason to suspect a major issue is coming, I'd say keep it for a while longer. Feel free to test drive a few other cars, you will find your accord is actually a very nice car for its price point.

Timing is another consideration, lots of people with an extra few bucks in their pocket from the stimulus package thinking they have cash to burn oblivious to the inflation buying cars like no tomorrow, car prices are high rn.

But if you want a new car regardless, and you want it now, go for it. You don't need to justify your spending if you can afford it. Spend money people, it's good for the economy.

Reactions: jdahn

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I think you're worrying about something that's a "non-issue" now.
I'd keep it... as long as it doesn't nickel and dime you to death.
Many on the forum have kept theirs far beyond 120K miles.

Used car prices are at an all time high...Think of what that car would cost to replace it, now...and you can see the value in a car with only 120K on it.
I'm keeping mine as long as I can.

·
VCM DELETE
826 Posts
Did you do the timing belt yet? That's a major factor in "should I keep or get rid of"
If you haven't done it, your due.

Reactions: TX Accord

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
636 Posts
If having 2 cars in the family is a plus, and it's paid off, I see no reason to get rid of it, especially at only 120k.

I'm on my first car, and I paid her in cash on the spot, no payments ever, so maybe my view is a bit different. But my rule of thumb is going to be that I'll only replace the car when repair cost exceeds the cost of getting a road-ready replacement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you do the timing belt yet? That's a major factor in "should I keep or get rid of"
If you haven't done it, your due.
Yep, timing belt & the related parts were replaced around 95-100K miles.

In my perspective (biased or not), the car is completely functional (and still fun) with no foreseeable issues in the near future. I guess the random little things have become a bit more noticeable after driving a brand new car more often... Ex: the passenger side window visor is broken so it stays bent at a ~45 degree angle when not in use. A couple days ago, my 2 memory seats randomly decided to reset and my chair was pushed all the way up to the steering wheel (haven't driven it since so I actually have no idea what happened there lol).

But anyway, glad to know that I am not crazy for just wanting to keep the car until something does go wrong. I posted a while back in another section, but I think if I was able to get a hold of a detailed diecast model of my car, I would be more prone to upgrading so the memory could live forever on my desk :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm the kind that drives to the grave. On one hand, it has resale value today, but on the other hand, you're done making payments. Add up your annual insurance, registration and tax costs. If you think you'll be a single car household for an extended time, I suppose you could save that money toward a replacement when you DO need a car. For example, my annual cost of ownership OUTSIDE of payments on my 2019 are +/- $1900/yr in CT. I assume that my insurance rate on my wife's car would increase if I drop to one car, so I'd be more likely to save about $1600/yr. If in 3 years I decide to go back to 2 cars, I'll have saved just under $5000 and presumably have whatever money I made from the sale on hand for a new purchase. You might fetch $12-15k for your 2013 if it is pristine, so a 3-year break would result in 17-20k for a new car. With that you could get into a new compact with no extra expense.

Alternatively, If you need a new car in only 1 year, you've saved $14-17k and will need to buy used or make payments again/ invest more money.

Or (drumroll) you keep the car but drop insurance and registration, pulling your car out into the driveway once a month to run the motor for 20-30 minutes, then illegally drive it around the block a few times and change the oil once a year. You'll be able to get your baby back onto the road on short notice and you know the vehicle history.

Lots to consider. If you can hack being a one-vehicle household, go for it, but for me I'd rather get back into a car I know than buy a used one of equal "value". I'd take my old 2014 with 155k over someone else's 2016-17 with half the miles.

·
MT or death
375 Posts
I absolutely love my car and it's fully paid off
There's your answer--keep it. I assume it's an automatic, which makes it much less of a rarity.

·
VCM DELETE
826 Posts
If you did the timing belt, id at least keep it 2-3 more years. Just the worst time ever right now to buy a car. Prices are insane. Even Rebuilt title cars are up 20-30% over last year at this time.
I couldn't justify buying new (to me) now either. Unless you really need the cash right now, id keep it. (assuming you would sell and pocket the cash)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's your answer--keep it. I assume it's an automatic, which makes it much less of a rarity.
It's a manual. Sorry, I thought I added that to my original post :LOL:

If you did the timing belt, id at least keep it 2-3 more years. Just the worst time ever right now to buy a car. Prices are insane. Even Rebuilt title cars are up 20-30% over last year at this time.
I couldn't justify buying new (to me) now either. Unless you really need the cash right now, id keep it. (assuming you would sell and pocket the cash)
Hmm, I see. Yeah the option would be to either cash it out or put it towards a newer car, but I'm not in a "need the cash" situation. I was more curious about getting the maximum value out of it while the demand was still there (an 8 year old car in 2021 with 120K miles vs. a 10 year old car in 2023 with ~150K+ miles). We are also moving to a new house in about a month, so the wide eyes of new home furniture / renovations probably has me thinking about this type of move too...

·
8th Gen Believer
3,965 Posts
My 8th gen has 152k miles and it's just been rock solid. I bought in 2017 with 48k miles, dropped 2k in suspension mods which for me is a must-have. I paid it off in 2019. No way I'd replace it. As mentioned new cars AND used cars are at premium prices since the chip shortage. All the car rental companies are buying used cars in bulk. Plus I'm not a fan of the electronic stuff which is not optional. The manufacturers have to make up for that somewhere, I suspect by cheaping out in other, more essential places.

Reactions: DerekWildstar

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
but I think if I was able to get a hold of a detailed diecast model of my car, I would be more prone to upgrading so the memory could live forever on my desk :ROFLMAO:
Behold!..
You'll pay for it, but these are nice...my co-worker just got an Audi model for his desk. Stunning detail.
You can also have your plate number put on it!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I mean, it's your money, but...

You've got the 6-6 coupe, which is like the unicorn of Accords. If it's in good shape and is running well, and you still enjoy driving it, then why not hold onto it? I crossed 172,000 today on my 2012 V6 coupe (5AT). It's had a few repairs over the past couple of years, but mostly has just needed routine maintenance. At no point has the maintenance and repair cost exceeded what I'd be spending on new/used car payments. I don't see why my Accord couldn't reach 200k. If you want evidence of how long these things can keep going for, I'm sure @TX Accord or @stiller fan could chime in.

That said, as @emeron points out, the wild card is rust. If you live in the snow/salt belt and you're considering keeping the car, I'd go over the vehicle with a fine-tooth comb. I had a rust infection set in around one of my wheel arches (passenger rear), so eventually I had a good body shop near me cut out the infected section, weld in new metal, and repaint. I keep an eye out for any further spots on the body work, but if rust ever spread into the subframe, I'd trade it in. It's a battle you can't win.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Behold!..
You'll pay for it, but these are nice...my co-worker just got an Audi model for his desk. Stunning detail.
You can also have your plate number put on it!
You really got my hopes up, but I'm looking for the Coupe. I'm hoping you just posted the wrong link...

·
Pilot without a plane
678 Posts
It's a manual. Sorry, I thought I added that to my original post :LOL:

We are also moving to a new house in about a month, so the wide eyes of new home furniture / renovations probably has me thinking about this type of move too...
Manual- 'sup

If you sell it, you can sit on your leather couch and remember your leather interior Accord. You've got a good one in a great color. The J series seems to be a pretty good engine. It will be hard to find another later if you regret letting it go. That being said, house crap is expensive.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I consider another car when repairs costs get large, or too frequent, and when certain features are not available in or for my car. Sounds like you a keeper for at least a few more years.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
146 Posts
For me, I consider upgrading based on some factors: safety, age, and cost. I used to have a '96 Nissan Maxima that was the predecessor to my '10 Accord. I upgraded from the Maxima because it hit on all 3 factors. It was the year 2012, and I knew there were cars out there with more safety features and better overall safety (this ended up being a smart decision). It was also getting somewhat dated, missing a lot of newer features. Lastly, I got rid of it right around the time the alternator called it quits. The alternator wasn't exactly the cheapest to replace, it was quite involved on those cars. The car had ~170k miles and things were starting to pile up, so financially it wasn't really worth keeping.

I settled on a 2010 Accord LX because it had everything I was looking for. It had solid safety (thankfully, kept my son and I safe in an accident), newer features (granted, it was a base model, but even then, it was enough for me, especially after I installed an aftermarket radio and got a few more things), and it was a pretty good deal at the time. Adding on to my last factor of cost, I was in my 6th year of owning my Odyssey, so I knew how reliable Hondas could be if well-maintained. Along with the car being in good shape when I checked it out, this satisfied my final factor.

TL;DR: You bought your daily driver because it fit most (if not all) of your needs. Ask yourself if it still does and will for the foreseeable future. If yes, keep on driving. If not, then I'd certainly look into another car that does.

·
Badfisch
12 Posts
Hoping I can pick some brains on the forums here. At what point do you / would you consider selling or upgrading your daily driver?

I've had my 2013 V6 Coupe for about 4.5 years and it's now at just above 120K miles. I would consider it my daily driver, although I haven't needed to drive to work in over a year now and we bought a new SUV about 6 months ago. I absolutely love my car and it's fully paid off, but I also don't want to worry about something breaking down in 2-3 years. Given the rarity, I would really only want to sell it to someone who I know would appreciate & care for it (not sure if that's overly sentimental, but I'm sure guys here feel the same way).

Other considerations:
1. No kids yet, but the SUV covers all areas of practicality.
2. Could live with only 1 car in the family, but having 2 is a plus. Depends on when our WFH status comes to an end.
3. This was the first car I ever bought on my own... so I may be overly attached.

Should I just enjoy the car until its last rev?
2 days from the day it was new!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts