Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Accord Ex 4dr with 168k miles.

In the last 6 months I have:

Replaced all 4 rotors
Replaced all 4 tires
Replaced all 4 pads

I just took it to the dealer and they said I need to:

Replace the alternator
Replace the O2 sensor
Replace front CV axles
Replace windshield wiper linkages
Flush transmissions and power steering fluid
Replace rear windshield due to leak
Replace trunk liner due to mold

At what point do I say this car has had enough and get rid of it?

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Well that's really up to you isn't it ? Do you love this car so much that you'll do/spend anything to keep it going ?

My general rule of thumb for used cars has always been, that when I've finally spent the same amount on repairs over the life of the car (no matter how long) as the car's initial cost, the next time something goes the car becomes dead to me (or I drive it right into the ground).

The last two Accords I've owned, I drove into the ground ... literally, as both were in fairly serious "solo" car accidents.

·
Banned
36 Posts

Replaced all 4 rotors
Replaced all 4 tires
Replaced all 4 pads

Replace the alternator
Replace the O2 sensor
Replace front CV axles

I feel your pain... Next time my 2006 Accord goes in, it needs...

-New Rotors and pads for the front
-New Upper control Arms
-Oil Change.. of course
-Change Tranny Fluid
-Change Coolant...

Mine only has 87k though.

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts

Replace the alternator
Replace the O2 sensor
Replace front CV axles

at what point do you say that you trust your dealer implicitly and you actually need all those things?

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts

Replaced all 4 rotors (Normal maintenance)
Replaced all 4 tires (Normal maintenance)
Replaced all 4 pads (Normal maintenance)

Replace the alternator
Replace the O2 sensor
Replace front CV axles
Flush transmissions and power steering fluid (Normal maintenance)

The rest of the items listed do not surprise me as abnormal for a car with 168k miles. My car has 55k miles and already I had to replace my entire front lower control arms and axles. Depending on road conditions in which you live, certain areas are harder on moving parts than in other areas with better roads.

A lot of those things you can look up how-to tutorials on, and can change yourself with common around-the-garage hand tools; saving yourself tons of money and also connecting you closer with your beloved car that has lasted you way longer than the typical GM, Ford, German-made luxury, etc. :thmsup:

Owning my Audi A6 from 90k-138k miles cost me over $9k in under 2 years and that was with me doing 95% of the labor. You name it, it broke, and parts were 10x as expensive as OEM Honda parts are.

But at the end of the day, ask yourself what would make you the most happy - giving her a little TLC here and there and seeing just how long she'll run for you...or the luxury of a hassle-free, no maintenance, new car. But if you're planning on selling that one and just buying another used one (in which you have no idea who owned it, how well they cared for/maintained it, etc.) you can find yourself quickly back in the same position.

Just my $0.02 :) G'luck!

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
It's up to you, generally most of those items are easy to replace and most of them are affordable compared to repairs a lot of cars go through.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Affordability is directly proportionate to your DIY ability.

Much of what you have listed are normal wear items on any car. High mileage vehicles (mine is around 162K), become really expensive if you are the 'fix it at the dealer' type. I maintain and check things often myself, rather than let things go for a long time until I am forced to visit the dealer.

If you don't have have one, get yourself a nice tool set. The alternator sits right on top and is pretty easy. Try starting with that.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Just lay down, man. Just give up.

If the dealer asked you to show him naked pics of your wife, would you do it?

Or do what DreaminAccord said to do. A set of tools is not much money. A set of knowledge is even more valuable and will cost you free time, that's it.

Dealers need to make money. YOU are their food source. Fight back. Arm yourself with knowledge. Swing that knowledge in their face. Be a predator and pull out their spine and brain stem while howling at the moon.

Don't ask if you should give up. Ask how you can win.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
sad how dealers treat people or he bought a car with a salvage title?

·
Registered
204 Posts
^what rick said...

but yeah im in your boat as well seems like in the past month things just been falling apart axle, radiator, door checker probably a few other things. I do maintenance/repair myself but with the weather being so cold kinda have no choice but to wait it out and hope it doesnt get progressively worse:thumbsdow

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Since ownership (2008), my Accord has been to the dealership for a few recall items. On one of those trips, I said screw it and let them adjust the valves, figuring they'd be the ones fixing it if they screwed up. That was the only work I didn't do myself and just that one thing left a bad taste.

When the bill was presented, there was a miscellaneous charge which I questioned. After a long delay, the answer was "disposal fee". "Dispose of what, the valve cover gasket? Remove the charge and give me the old gasket. I'll toss it in your garbage myself!"

Needless to say, they removed the charge and I received an apology from the service writer who said he really didn't know what the charge was for, but they routinely charge it.

Anyway, the ONLY reason I visit the dealer nowadays, is to buy fluids now and then.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
If the dealer asked you to show him naked pics of your wife, would you do it?
Depends... If they could throw in some deep channel mats or a free cargo net... :D

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,679 Posts
Did you give them a list of concerns (battery draining, check engine light, clicking sounds while turning, wild windshield wiper action, etc.), associated with all these recommendations? Maybe that shop just needs work, so get a second opinion and a priority list. Things will add up, on any car, if you don't take care of problems/maintenance as they arise/come due.

·
1,655 Posts
I use one of three rules:

1) Is it my only vehicle? Do I worry it could strand me without an option if I were to take a long trip or had to get to work without it for a week?

2) Add up all of those repairs and any other routine maintenance you expect to see in the next year or two. Estimate the monthly car payment if you were to replace the car. Let's say the repairs total $2000 and a new monthly payment would be $400. Those repairs would equal five months of payments. If you feel confident enough the car will go at least that long without needing additional work, fix the car and keep it.

3) An old Reader's Digest rule: If the cost of repairs is more than one-third the vehicle's value, punt. If not, fix the car.

·
07 I4 MT coupe
198 Posts
In a general sense I only give up on a car when the cost of repair exceeds the cost of the blue book value. like others have posted a lot on that list can be done yourself for pennies on the dollar.

I have not had to do any moderate to high level maintenance on my accord yet, but Ive done about 50% of your list on my 93 del sol. if the effort level is about the same between the two cars I would say that O2 can be done by about any Joe on the street. Same for the trans axle if you invest in the joint puller which is pretty cheap.

and a bit of lightheartedness removing the trunk liner is weight reduction to go faster :)

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
If they thought you'd go for it, they would have told you to replace the entire car.

Alternator - $120
O2 Sensor - $45 downstream/$100 upstream
CV Axles - $100
Wiper linkage - $79

I just looked up all those on rockauto. All of that is easily replaced yourself with minimal tools, and some time spent researching torque values for the axles.

Rear glass will probably be $250-300 to replace. It probably doesn't need to be replaced. Unless it's cracked or mis-formed, all that needs to be done is to remove the glass and replace the $3 butyl sealant around the perimeter. I would pay a glass guy to do this repair.

No idea about the trunk liner, but soaking it down with some bleach or mold killer is a lot easier and cheaper and will be just fine.

Tear into your car and figure out how it works and how to fix it. I did my first engine rebuild this summer. Parts cost me $700 to do a complete bottom and top end rebuild on my motorcycle. Paying the local dealer to do it would have easily been $1800-$2500. It was in pieces on my garage floor for a month, and I got my hands all dirty, but it was a fun experience and I'm glad I did it.

The lack of curiosity in America is costing people a bunch of money. The professional interest is to make what is easy seem hard.

All of the above will cost no more than $750. That is two car payments. You will lose more than that selling this car, finding another, and catching up on regular maintenance of the new car. Don't forget taxes.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
I have a suggestion in addendum to Toshbar's great write-up:

Regarding the rear windshield needing replaced, call Safelite (877-664-8931) and request a quote on having it replaced and what the cost of the glass would be. Of course, it may be a little more expensive than a front windshield (rear defroster system) but I'm hoping that like with the front, Safelite will submit the claim to your insurance company, who in most instances, will cover the cost :)

Plan B: Go to a junk yard and just get the glass from another Accord and have someone install/reseal it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've always wanted to get into fixing my car myself, and just find myself with a lack of time, or a place to do it--I live in a neighborhood where doing auto maintenance in the parking lot is something they fine you for (I hate HOAs).

Well, screw em. I'll find another place to do it, and I just learned I have a co-worker who has done the CV axle stuff before, so here goes. Thanks for all your input. I cannot stomach another car payment, as we just got my wife a 2014 Pilot (finally needed a second car, now that we have a baby).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts