Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The book said it comes up when a 4 shows up on the maintenance schedule.
What is maximum time allowed ?
My last Honda said 7 years or 105k

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd have no reason to believe that it would need to be replaced any earlier than previous models. The general rule seems to be about 100k for a replacement.

You may be able to view the timing belt easily, without a picture of the top of the engine, I couldn't say for sure. Some cars the belt is easily viewable by removing the timing belt cover. It will be visible from the top of the engine, the side opposite of the transmission. If you're able to view it, if it isn't cracking or glazed, I wouldn't change it, but I would continue to inspect frequently for signs of wear if its getting near 100k or over.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The timing belt on my 2000 Accord V6 replacement time is eight years or 105,000 miles. I replaced it once at 93,000 miles and seven years when Honda replaced my defective transmission. The car is coming up to eight years and only has 160,000 miles. Replacing the timing belt is only about $600 which is much cheaper than replacing the engine should it break unexpectedly. Honda no longer uses timing belts on all of their new engines replacing them with timing chains. They never have to be replaced and should last for the entire life of the engine.

I am thinking that going a little longer on the time vs. the going over the miles is probably a safe plan.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
The book said it comes up when a 4 shows up on the maintenance schedule.
What is maximum time allowed ?
My last Honda said 7 years or 105k

Thanks
Are you an owner of a 9th Gen? If so, you won't have to worry about this for awhile.....so come back and see us in a few years :)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Are you saying that the 2013-2014 Earth Dreams V6 is an old engine? The V6 still has a timing belt.

See #5 in this parts diagram.

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.c...peed-automatic/engine/camshaft-timing-belt-v6
The Earth Dreams V6 in the 2013/2014 Accord is a J35A series engine. This 60 degree V6 single overhead cam engine has been used for several years in various Honda and Acura cars. I am not sure what makes this version of the J series engine Earth Dreams. In answer to your question it is an older designed engine. I suspect that this will be the last generation Accord to come with this engine. I think that in the future the V6 and a five speed transmission may not be offered in the Accord. We see turbo charged versions of the I4 or possibly turbo diesel engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine#J35

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
The Earth Dreams V6 in the 2013/2014 Accord is a J35A series engine.
The new Earth Dreams V6 is similar in design to the J35A but is titled as a J35Y due to new advances in technology.

I am not sure what makes this version of the J series engine Earth Dreams.
Next generation VCM technology (3 and 6 cylinder modes), "special" SOHC i-VTEC technology, ULEV-2 standards on regular unleaded gas.

I think that in the future the V6 and a five speed transmission may not be offered in the Accord.
Considering that the V6 is currently offered with either a 6AT or 6MT, I don't see why Honda would take a step back and re-initiate the old 5AT.

EDIT: Source - http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=7020-en

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts

·
Banned
784 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance.... but do timing chains have to be replaced? Like the belts @ around 100K?
Normally no. The chains will last 300K-400K miles or longer without any problems as long as you do not run the engine with low engine oil for a long period of time. If the chains are stretched then you will have to replace the chains. Check your oil periodically and make sure you are not running low on oil. I am at 99K miles on my Odyssey and am planning to change the belt, tensioner and water pump this summer when the weather is better and the days are longer. My guess is that most of Gen 9th V6 owners will sell their cars in 3-4 years and will not be dealing with the timing belt replacement question.

·
Banned
784 Posts
The new Earth Dreams V6 is similar in design to the J35A but is titled as a J35Y due to new advances in technology.
Next generation VCM technology (3 and 6 cylinder modes), "special" SOHC i-VTEC technology, ULEV-2 standards on regular unleaded gas.
Considering that the V6 is currently offered with either a 6AT or 6MT, I don't see why Honda would take a step back and re-initiate the old 5AT.
Give Mr. Flyboy a break, he works in the marketing department. They don't need to have 100% correct facts. He was 60% correct so it is more than 50%.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Sorry my mistake, six speed auto instead o five speed automatic.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Give Mr. Flyboy a break, he works in the marketing department. They don't need to have 100% correct facts. He was 60% correct so it is more than 50%.
:D I don't work in any marketing department but I just keep up with what's going on in the car business and what's going on with Honda.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
about 100k.

keep in mind we are seeing timing belt tensioners fail prematurely though on 2008+ v6 models.
Is Honda helping out on those?

8/Unlimited powertrain on our V6, so that helps me feel better.

Jay

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Wasn't trying to give him a hard time, just trying to help.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Wasn't trying to give him a hard time, just trying to help.
I know but I was trying to give him sh&%. Mr. Flyboy likes to read but does not like to work on his car so I was giving him a hard time. I am an experimental physicist and not a theoretical physicist.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I know but I was trying to give him sh&%. Mr. Flyboy likes to read but does not like to work on his car so I was giving him a hard time. I am an experimental physicist and not a theoretical physicist.
I'm a theoretical mechanic and not an experimental one. Whenever I have tried to work on my cars in the past it has always been a failed experiment. :banana:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts