Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, the Horn does not sound if the LOCK button is pressed only once, but the question is: can it be disabled completely?

I understand there is a reason for the horn sound, and I understand that some people like this, but can you confirm that there is no way to do this please, if it cannot be disabled?

I have a follow-up question about a touchy subject but wanted to see if I can get this answered first.

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen anyone disable it. I'm assuming you have some other reason to want to press lock more than once?

Pressing it twice does nothing but confirm with the honk.

·
@milmast
957 Posts
If you install an aftermarket security system you can. With my viper 5704 security system, i can unlock, lock, and open the trunk silently.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I understand there is *nothing* short of installing a security system at cost of hundreds of $ that will disable the honk when pressing the lock button twice.

Thank you 03LXV6 for clarifying that it is impossible to disable the honk and still have the lights flash as confirmation.

Not allowing customers to have a lights/flash only confirmation as an option (just an option) is a disappointment of switching from my old Camry that is one generation older than 8th Gen Accord. Nine years ago, I found out how to disable the second press honk on a Camry quickly - it wasn't simple, there was a combination of things to press and hold but people on Toyota forums immediately told me how to do it. Cut to today, it seems that on every single Honda forum whoever asks how to do this is given a variation of "why would you want to press lock more than once?" as the answer. For whatever reason, Honda forums users can't imagine that not everyone has the same usage circumstances and preferences.

This makes me apprehensive about asking my next question, but here we go, I hope this next question doesn't turn into an attack on the poster asking it... I spent an hour looking for the answer to this next question and on every single Honda forum I searched, the person asking this was violently attacked and the answer was never given.

First of all I am in Kansas. My question is not about driving on a paved road. In a specific and limited case of driving on a farm, at extremely slow speeds, and having to stop frequently, leave the car, then drive slow again, then spend time doing paperwork *in the passenger seat*...

Only, once again, *only* under those limited circumstances, is there a way to disable the seat bell chime?

I do not wish to not wear the seat belt, I want to keep wearing the seat belt elsewhere... so I do not wish to disable the chime by placing in a spare buckle to trick the system or anything like that *I still want to wear the seat belt,* just no chime under these specific and unusual circumstances.
Is there a way to do disable the seat belt chime?

Thank you for posting the answer to this question if you know it. Every other thread on the entire internet about this quickly descends into people attacking each other, please try not to post other than to say 'it cannot be done' or 'it can, and here's how...'

·
Registered
449 Posts
search for door chime in this forum. It's the same speaker.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the easiest thing is to put a spare buckle under the "rare circumstance" than remove it for normal use.
See where it says:

....so I do not wish to disable the chime by placing in a spare buckle to trick the system or anything like that *I still want to wear the seat belt*

In every single thread on this topic on the internet, people assume that original posters are asking about ways to not wear a seat belt... This is absolutely not the case. I understand that people have a hard time separating 'disabling the chime' from wearing the seat belt. These are not always connected. This question is about wearing the seat belt *and* disabling the chime both. [Because you have to temporarily but frequently reach to get something from the back, and you are sitting in the passenger seat... because you need a little more time to first put on the seat belt... the reasons are valid and plentiful, even if whoever is reading this doesn't need this himself.]

To the poster who suggested a door chime search, I searched for 'door chime' on the forum and the counter argument to disabling the wires was given as this:

Just thought of something: performing such a modification can mess with other operations and give you problems. Gone are the days where the door switch just turns the interior lights on and off and sounds the key in ignition beep.

Think about this: your IP illuminates when you open the door, right? It won't if the computer continues to sense the door is closed. When you hit unlock with the remote, but don't open the door in 15 seconds, it automatically re-locks, right? If the door switch says the door is closed all the time, even when it's open, the computer is going to re-lock the door and reset the alarm, even if your door is open. :paranoid:

No, on second thought, you better not do this modification. Too many computer activated side effect could cause more frustration for you than just dealing with the key in ignition beep.
Was that the solution you meant when you said search for door chime?

The closest I could see to a solution are these two posts, what does he mean by 'use liquid sillicone' since obviously people want to avoid cutting the wires...
I pulled off the trim underneath the steering wheel recently. I remember seeing a small speaker, the alarm speaker. It's very obvious once the trim is removed, just cut the wires to the speaker.

or just use liquid silicon on the speaker so it can be restored without much of a hassle.

i suggested this fix to a couple of my friends avoiding the complete removal of the speaker.

(i found the fix in a mitsubishi forum)

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
I think they mean muffle the sound with the silicon.

Remember you are trying to accomplish something that the car is not designed to do so a little effort on your part is required. Use the extra buckle when your circumstance arises and remove it when not needed.

OR buy a seatbelt extender where you can still buckle the seatbelt into it.

OR Buckle the seatbelt and sit on it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Excuse me, but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the OPs desire. If he wants to wear the seatbelt than the issue if disabling the chime for the seatbelt is null and invalid. If he/she is wearing it, then IT WON'T chime.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
buy a seatbelt extender where you can still buckle the seatbelt into it.

I never knew such a thing existed. Perfect solution in theory, I will look into it. I feel like posting in every forum where this was asked and helping so many people who never got helpful advice about simply using a seat belt extender and instead had to deal with this and worse:

If he/she is wearing it, then IT WON'T chime.

I already posted several scenarios. You have to temporarily but frequently disengage the seat belt to repeatedly get items from the back seat while you are in the passenger seat. You need more time to put on a seat belt. You are driving at slow speeds on a farm with no trees or roads or hills or anything to hit... and you need to frequently do things without the seat belt on in that location...

Or how about this for a reason someone posted:

oarnold said:
For me, the situation with the chime, was like walking to the bathroom sink and picking up your toothbrush to put toothpaste on it, fully intending to brush you teeth, then hearing a recorded message "Don't forget to brush your teeth, don't forget to brush your teeth, don't forget to brush your teeth" before you could finish putting the toothpaste on your brush and get the brush in your mouth.

Hearing a constant reminder to do something you fully intend to do can get very annoying after just a few times. Those of you who say "just wear your seatbelt" need to realize we already brush our teeth, wear underarm deodorant, change our motor oil according to the maintenance minder, wear our seat belts and do all sorts of good things.

A challenge for all those who posted "wear your seatbelt" - why don't you come up with a way to reprogram it so that it waits a number of seconds before it chimes...

Perfect solution is a Seat Belt extender, thank you 03LXV6 for posting that.

Any suggestions on where to get them for the Accords, are they all the same?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Excuse me, but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the OPs desire. If he wants to wear the seatbelt than the issue if disabling the chime for the seatbelt is null and invalid. If he/she is wearing it, then IT WON'T chime.
Agreed. None of this makes any sense to me. If you don't want the horn to honk, press lock once, the lights flash. Why must you press it twice? The horn honk is only useful if you can't see the car and are attempting to lock it. If you can't see the car, what good is a lights only confirmation?

Don't want a chime, buckle up. What's the problem? The chime is a safety feature to remind you to buckle up. Pretty sure this is standard in almost every vehicle. If you're getting out of the car that frequently and moving at slow speeds on a farm maybe you should ride a tractor. I dunno, problem solved?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I never knew such a thing existed. Perfect solution in theory, I will look into it. I feel like posting in every forum where this was asked and helping so many people who never got helpful advice about simply using a seat belt extender and instead had to deal with this and worse:

I already posted several scenarios. You have to temporarily but frequently disengage the seat belt to repeatedly get items from the back seat while you are in the passenger seat. You need more time to put on a seat belt. You are driving at slow speeds on a farm with no trees or roads or hills or anything to hit... and you need to frequently do things without the seat belt on in that location...

Or how about this for a reason someone posted:
You have to be going a certain speed (which isn't very slow) for it to chime, correct?

Anyway, the seat belt extender sounds like your only feasible option. Good luck

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed. None of this makes any sense to me. If you don't want the horn to honk, press lock once, the lights flash. Why must you press it twice?
I can think of dozens of explanations. Just because someone has no need for something or just because they live a certain way... they cannot imagine that people are different, have different lives and make different choices?

Like I said I can think of dozens of explanations and can go on and on...

Explanation 1: Someone parks their car in front of their home under a window where their infant baby has finally just fallen asleep and they accidentally press the lock button twice

* * H O N K * *

* * H O N K * *

:cry:

Just because I don't have a baby, just because that doesn't apply to me that doesn't mean that another person can't have their evening ruined just because there is no option, option to prevent the EXTREMELY LOUD HONK announce to all their neighbors that they have just arrived because they accidentally pressed the button twice?

What if the driver locks the car and hands the key to the passenger. And the passenger asks 'Did you lock the car?' And the driver goes, 'Yes I did, don't press the LOCK button again, wai....'

* * H O N K * *

* * H O N K * *

%$#@!!!!! :headbash:

I can come up with fifty different scenarios all of which are irrelevant to the fact that, in their wisdom, Honda engineers chose not to give us the option, just the option, to turn the EXTREMELY LOUD honk off, just like we can in other cars if we so chose to. We should be pushing to have that choice, even if we don't need it ourselves. This is not unreasonable... by far.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Agreed. None of this makes any sense to me. If you don't want the horn to honk, press lock once, the lights flash. Why must you press it twice? The horn honk is only useful if you can't see the car and are attempting to lock it. If you can't see the car, what good is a lights only confirmation?

Don't want a chime, buckle up. What's the problem? The chime is a safety feature to remind you to buckle up. Pretty sure this is standard in almost every vehicle. If you're getting out of the car that frequently and moving at slow speeds on a farm maybe you should ride a tractor. I dunno, problem solved?
Couldn't agree more. I'm sure John Deere has good deals now since it's winter haha.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:) Nice. a $20,000 solution.

I can understand about the seat belt thing somewhat, even though there are valid reasons for people to want to do this, and this option is available on other cars... but why the effort to disagree with the option, just the option, to turn off the loud door lock HONK? It's not like it would be unique, competitors have this option also, it would be useful to others if not yourselves.

These things in other cars are not easy to set up, pressing multiple buttons at the same time and whatnot, but they are there as options.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
You have to be going a certain speed (which isn't very slow) for it to chime, correct?

Anyway, the seat belt extender sounds like your only feasible option. Good luck
Not so. Mine will chime when my passenger takes off there seatbelt as I am pulling in the driveway (2-3ish MPH).

Another option is the trick the switch into thinking the seat belt is always there. Admittedly, I have not pulled an Accord seatbelt apart or reviewed this in the Accord service manual, but my assumption is there is a switch at the bottom of the receiving portion of the seatbelt that is closed when the seatbelt is latched (put on). The switch could be wired around so it thinks it is always closed and thus the car thinks the seatbelt is on. If I am right, you could even install a second switch so that the chime could easily be turned back on.

Scott C.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I heard you could take it apart and use tape to make it always be on. I heard that this may make it slightly more difficult to use the seat belt because the tape would be in the way.

I am looking forward to testing the solution below. As you can see, I have no intention of not using a seat belt. I just do not want the chime blasting away every time I reach to get something from the back seat, or for fifty other legitimate reasons, none of which are to not permanently wear a seat belt.

This will hopefully allow you to temporarily unbuckle, *which you would do anyway*, only this way your brain cells will not be destroyed from frustration of having that loud chime blasting your head off.

I thought of using just the adapter without the black belt but I thought maybe it would stick out, so I opted for adapter + extension:

Attachments

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Yeh, that looks like a good solution too. Glad you found something that suits your needs.

Scott C.

·
Vroom! Vroom!
37 Posts
i just want to say... sometimes when i come home late I accidentally click the lock button twice and it honks really loud so i understand what you mean. would I really want to change it to not honk no not really but its understandable if you'd want to. I like to push my lock button like 20x when getting out during the day time just for the heck of it. Honda doesn't really make an option for this because it is not very common thing people want to do.

Seat belt thing is understandable too. I don't wear my seat belt most of time, I know its a bad thing but its a bad habit now I just turn my music up louder but i know you can cut a wire that will stop the beeping but the extender thing looks like it might work just might be annoying since it will just hang to a side when not in use.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They make adapters without the extender so nothing would hang. But it seems to me that would be worse esthetically because the adapter without extender might stick out whereas you can shorten/hide the belt extender between seats. I am actually looking forward to testing that aspect of it, if the extender can blend in.

I would also *like* to push the lock button multiple times to make sure that the car is locked whenever I feel like I should check because someone may have gone in to get something from the car, or someone else might have initially locked it, etc.; lots of people want to push it multiple times, and they could - if the lock horn could be disabled and only flashing lights left enabled.

Accord's main competitor Camry has had these options already since at least 2002 generation, maybe earlier. This is proof that it's far from being unreasonable to request these options.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.