Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, on my car the AC compressor is leaking oil. It still is working, but makes a lot of noise. I was going to replace it and was wondering how many of you guys are flushing the system, installing a new expansion valve and condenser? I'm going to replace the dryer, but wasn't sure if I need to replace the expansion valve and condenser.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
can you describe or give a video of the noise?

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
The reason for flushing a system is if the compressor has had a catastrophic failure or introduced shrapnel into the system. According Scotty Kilmer you should replace the condenser any time you are changing the compressor.

https://youtu.be/U0O1mcnwjZs

·
Reflections Auto Detail
1,247 Posts
You can't take Scott Kilmer seriously, he is a spaz on youtube, and all the nuts and bolts magically come off at the very next video frame.

That's called "self-produced, video subject matter" aka "job security" for someone who makes their living producing YouTube videos. :devil

Seriously though, to the OP, most compressor warranties require that you replace the drier and expansion valve.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Wow Scotty Kilmer haters, to each his own, it is all information and he has videos. Other sites have the same information. I used to work on automotive A/C and normally the warranty for a compressor is valid if you replace the compressor and the reciever/drier which is only a can with a small inlet filter and a bag of desiccant. The orifice tube or expansion valve does not need to be replaced it only needs to be removed and inspected. Some expansion valves have screens others do not. If there is no metal particles in the system flushing is not necessary, if the system is still cooling and just noisy And leaking oil I would guess it has a bad front seal and bearing. If there are metal shavings in the system all bets are off, flush everything replace the condenser, reciever/dryer, and possibly the evaporator core.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same situation - just a noise, pressure and cooling effect was OK. Decided not wait for compressor to fall apart. Replaced compressor, condenser and drier. I wouldn't want to replace a condenser but it got broken when I was trying to disconnect it. I chose not to replace expansion valve and not to flush the system. It has been a while ago - still works fine (nocking on wood)..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts