Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
When to change oil and/or filter? 3500 miles, follow maintenance minder? When? Help! ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Does anyone know if the maintenance minder computer makes a compensation for the first break-in oil change mileage? I couldn't find anything in the manual on the mileage, specifically.
Driverside.com, where I track my car maintenance, stated my first oil change would be at 3500 miles on my new Accord there. Don't know where they got that info.
What are you all planning to do or recommend for mileage on first oil change in this turbo engine?

·
Registered
653 Posts
The car will tell you when it's time for an oil change. The maintenance schedule in the owners manual will reinforce that.

This isn't the 1960's. Cars don't need oil changes every 3,000 miles any longer. Nor do they need that so-called oil change at an arbitrary break-in period. Whoever says so is just scamming you for more money.

·
Rollin in FL
1,106 Posts
Just do the oil change when the MM is between 0%-15% of oil life left which should be around 7500 miles. 3500 miles is for older cars and also for people who are very used to 3000-mile oil changes. Also, look at the service manual, like everyone said.

Also, Congrats on the new 10GA!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The existence of this thread only means one thing....

A new thread on “Should I use 91 octane gas for the 1.5T?” could appear at any moment. ;)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Don’t sweat it. Follow the MM and when it hits 15%, arrange for a convenient time to change it. But check the oil level, and ignore the color of the oil, as the factory fill is often darker due to assembly lubricant.

·
HK Moderator
13,405 Posts
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Read the owner's manual.

Agreed- check the oil level frequently! Pop the hood, remove the dipstick, and check your oil level.

Any name-brand 0W-20 oil will work just fine.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Read the owner's manual.

Agreed- check the oil level frequently! Pop the hood, remove the dipstick <insert response here> and check your oil level.

Any name-brand 0W-20 oil will work just fine.
Don’t forget to wipe.

:grin

·
Don't drink and drive
5,154 Posts
Too early to know, at least for us, those who don't have the manual. It would be possible that the ECM would bear in mind the first OCI. The factory oil usually comes with an overdose of Molybdenum, usually around 600-800PPM, whereas regular oil has around 50-150 PPM. It's good for break-in, but you don't wanna keep it in too long as there is a lot of metals in the oil. Usually 3-5k miles is a good number for the first OCI.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,573 Posts
Too early to know, at least for us, those who don't have the manual. It would be possible that the ECM would bear in mind the first OCI. The factory oil usually comes with an overdose of Molybdenum, usually around 600-800PPM, whereas regular oil has around 50-150 PPM. It's good for break-in, but you don't wanna keep it in too long as there is a lot of metals in the oil. Usually 3-5k miles is a good number for the first OCI.
Dude, just hush already.

FOLLOW THE MM. PERIOD. DON'T CHANGE THE FIRST OIL BECAUSE OF SOME WILLY NILLY COMMENT LIKE THE ABOVE!!!!

And ALWAYS check your oil frequently......

·
Registered
269 Posts
My recommendation is to change the filter at 2000 miles and keep a close eye on oil levels during break in.

-Doug

·
HK Moderator
13,405 Posts
My recommendation is to change the filter at 2000 miles and keep a close eye on oil levels during break in.

-Doug
Why? Do you have oil analysis reports from reputable labs showing that a filter change is needed? Or are there reports of the new Hondas having total engine failure due to sub-standard filters being deployed?

·
Registered
40 Posts

-Doug
I don't think that is helpful advice (other than keeping an eye on oil levels). We don't know what oil Honda puts in new vehicles or how long they want it in. Some manufactures use a long lasting break in oil to help seat parts in during the first X,000 miles. Following your advice could mean an inadequate engine break in.

I think the best advice is to follow the owners manual.

I've always followed the manufacturer's direction as it relates to break in and service. As long as you do, I doubt you'll ever have a warranty issue with Honda. I never have.

1 - 20 of 431 Posts