Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

381 - 400 of 470 Posts

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
^Different codes. One will recommend that you change the oil filter, the other will state that the oil filter need not be changed. As stated numerous times in this thread, the oil filter's filtration qualities actually improve the longer you keep it in- to a point.

Some members change the filter every oil change, some do not and follow the MM codes, some run long-life filters such as Fram Extended Guard, etc...and some dealers have all sorts of wacky recommendations on what you should do.

Reactions: da_ticklah

·
Read Only
24 Posts
Best recommendation is to follow the maintenance minder system, as it also has an algorithm based on how you accelerate, start and stop traffic, hours run, speed & temperature of engine and will let you know when to change the oil. The original Honda oil is just that .... plain, pure, super clean oil with no recycled oil added. The oil at the dealership is the same formula as the original which is actually a blend of synthetic and standard oil, which allows the longer, higher mile intervals. The 0w-20 oil was originally designed for fuel economy as it will flow thru the tighter clearances in the motor without much issue.

However, there are several "models" that have an issue with the turbo motors and have gasoline found in the crankcase and Honda has already offered to extend the warranty on these motors because of this issue. Many in the last year found that when checking the oil level, it was "overfilled" and after a simple "sniff" test, they realized that something was wrong.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So my 2019 Accord Sport 2.0 is my first Honda ever. Only have 2k miles and understand the A1 service will be my first, which does not require the oil filter to be changed (not illuminated yet, just researching). Does the algorithm recommend the filter be changed every other time? I’m thinking of replacing the filter anyway...
Since this question has come up before, when I took our Accord in for its first O&F change (MM came up with 15% at 7800 miles, I took it in a couple of weeks later) I braced the service manager about it. He categorically stated that they use nothing but Honda-branded oil and filters, and filters are always changed with the oil. Of course, YMMV depending on the dealer.
As a fact of possible interest, I paid $32 for this service on our 2.0T. There was no tire rotation involved, since I have all tire work done at a tire store we have used for over 30 years.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I recently made my first service appt. at a local dealer (for next Saturday), as our MM had reached the 15% first warning level a couple/few weeks ago. Now it is at 10%.

The car is a 2018 Touring hybrid, with about 9k miles on it. (so, 0% would probably occur at around 10k miles.) But, the car will also be a year old in a couple of weeks.

I hadn't even checked the oil for quite a while, and when I checked it a day or so ago, the level was right up to the full line. So, very little oil consumption. But even more surprising to me was that the color of the oil was still quite light/yellow, considering 9,000 miles and almost of year of use.

Of course, this is a hybrid, so the engine isn't turned on 100% of the driving time.

This dealer seems to be in the "change the filter every time, not just every other oil change" camp, which I am fine with.

Also, FWIW, my dipstick has the old-style metal tip, with two holes in it for full, and add. (It has a 9/18 build month. I think some earlier 2018's had a dip stick with a plastic tip, that some people found hard to read....)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the "old" algorithm research paper which describes their approach and algorithm. It, of course, does not account for a turbo charger.

I do not have anything from Honda that indicates they've changed the algo to account for the turbo.

Thus, in the absence of evidence I don't know. If you know of any sources please send a link.

I'd be interested in seeing that paper, if you're free to share or point to it...

Diomaiuti

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have new 18 Accord LX 1.5, Its interesting to know that my first oil change was done in May, with casual driving the city and few long trips. I have been following honda's MM which indicated that I have 5%, So I have calculated my mileage from the first oil change, it quite low;shy of 3k, for an accord leased beginning this year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When to change oil? 3500 miles, follow maintenance minder? When? Help! ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Does anyone know if the maintenance minder computer makes a compensation for the first break-in oil change mileage? I couldn't find anything in the manual on the mileage, specifically.
Driverside.com, where I track my car maintenance, stated my first oil change would be at 3500 miles on my new Accord there. Don't know where they got that info.
What are you all planning to do or recommend for mileage on first oil change in this turbo engine?
If you buying an new vehicle no miles on it basically should be change around 5000 miles after that go by what your car says to do it will depending on how much driving you do to have to change it its usually about 7500 -10000 miles on avg.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing that paper, if you're free to share or point to it...
Sorry, didn't see your post back then.
Here a the link to the paper (2003).

·
Row 'em
38 Posts
Just to add another data point (because as everyone knows, you can never have too much data o_O)

2.0T Sport 6MT. The MM A1 15% warning came on at just 5,950 miles -- too much commuting in horrific LA traffic, is my guess.

Got bored with having to clear off the warning every time I started the car, so changed oil (but not filter) myself at 6,150 miles. Seems odd that they make the underbody tray almost but not quite clear the drain hole. Oh well, easy enough to take it off, and the oil change process itself was a cinch. Old oil level was exactly where it was from new: right at the high dipstick line.

Guess I should be grateful I don't seem to have any of the oil-related issues or anxieties that so many other owners seem to experience.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My maintenance minder calls for the A1 service right now... Which, strictly according to the manual (US model), means change the engine oil but NOT the filter plus rotate the tires. I have the work done at a dealership.

Of course, my dealership (and just about any I've ever seen) always packages the oil and filter change together. Has anyone actually gone to a dealer for an "A" service and had them change the oil and NOT the filter? Does it really matter?

·
Registered
845 Posts
You're not going to hurt the car by changing the filter. The rationale is the filter continues to perform better as it filters more oil. I'm not sure if there is really any data out there to confirm this. I just discussed it with the shop where I get my oil changed and they said it was nonsense not to change it. I tend to agree.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The oil goes so long now (well over 12,000 km when I changed it at 40% on the MM) that it's pretty silly to not flip the filter at the same time. Clear that flag too when you reset it on the dash...

(I changed it early because I did it myself and winter is coming. Don't want to do that in late January in Montreal outside...).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I am a new driver and this is the very first new car I have ever owned. I am researching when to do the first oil change as my car is hitting 4700 miles. Interestingly, my maintenance oil level is still at 50%. My dealer's service adviser told me that she personally like to change oil at 5k miles or 16% oil level. I am wondering if I should take her advise and change oil at 5k miles or wait till the maintenance level drops to 30% or so as I am worried changing oil too early might affect my car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Back in the day, the golden rule was 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. With modern technology and engines being what they are today, I would say just follow your car's maintenance minder. It's the easiest and safest route. Trust the people who made your car, not a service advisor who works on commission.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hello,

I am a new driver and this is the very first new car I have ever owned. I am researching when to do the first oil change as my car is hitting 4700 miles. Interestingly, my maintenance oil level is still at 50%. My dealer's service adviser told me that she personally like to change oil at 5k miles or 16% oil level. I am wondering if I should take her advise and change oil at 5k miles or wait till the maintenance level drops to 30% or so as I am worried changing oil too early might affect my car.
Follow the MM. I had similar indications to you. The only reason I changed early (40% indicated or somewhere between 30 and 40%) was because I did it myself and didn't want to do it in January in the cold. If it continues as it did (though I expect winter to drive the % down quicker) I'll probably go a full year on one oil change (which is another "max" point). I could happily phase lock to changes at the end of Sept. every year.

I changed at 12760 km so it extrapolates out to about 18,000 km, well over 10,000 miles. After researching oil a bit I settled on Mobil One Extended Performance. But ended up putting in Penzoil Platinum Plus as the former was not available in this part of Canuckistan for a while (who knows). The former was recently on sale so I bought two 4 litre bottles to cover the next change.

If you change your filter at the same time, be sure to reset the filter MM as well, even if it isn't showing. (And no reason to not change the filter).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Follow the MM. I had similar indications to you. The only reason I changed early (40% indicated or somewhere between 30 and 40%) was because I did it myself and didn't want to do it in January in the cold. If it continues as it did (though I expect winter to drive the % down quicker) I'll probably go a full year on one oil change (which is another "max" point). I could happily phase lock to changes at the end of Sept. every year.

I changed at 12760 km so it extrapolates out to about 18,000 km, well over 10,000 miles. After researching oil a bit I settled on Mobil One Extended Performance. But ended up putting in Penzoil Platinum Plus as the former was not available in this part of Canuckistan for a while (who knows). The former was recently on sale so I bought two 4 litre bottles to cover the next change.

If you change your filter at the same time, be sure to reset the filter MM as well, even if it isn't showing. (And no reason to not change the filter).
Wow that's great that it lasts over 10,000 miles. A coworker of mine also have a 2019 accord (1.5t) with about 9k miles and his Oil level is still 40%. We both got first oil change free from dealer so I hope they will reset the MM for both. I guess I will wait till it goes down to 30%. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Don't change it at 30%. That is wasting good oil. Let it ride down to 10% or less. There is still a buffer built-in for people that don't pay attention.

381 - 400 of 470 Posts