Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

421 - 440 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Please let me know what do you think, brand new car purchased and never would abuse it in break in period or after, why would oil life be at 60% with only 824 miles on ODO?.
Mine has 1900 miles and oil life says 40%. Looking at the dipstick the oil looks clean like it was just changed. Perhaps it's a break in thing?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
@Arm Sport 2.0 T : "60% with only 824 miles on ODO?"

Something is definitely not right. Could be a sensor is screwy and "mis informing" the oil life algorithm.

EDIT: Another weird thing: the letter "A" is on indicating the MM wants oil changed at 60%.[1]

In the meantime check the oil level and colour. At this mileage it should barely show any darkness.

How many bars do you get on the coolant meter? Typical is 4.

Any Check Engine Light(s)?

I'd drag it to the dealer whence you acquired it in any case. This is veddy strange.

Question: did you see the oil life at 100% when you bought it?

EDIT:
[1] A suspicious person might wonder if the car had more mileage than what's on the odometer. The MM has recorded x miles; the odometer x - y ....

Look at the door jamb:

What is the date of manufacture?

What date did you buy it?

In the meantime : DO NOT RESET THE MM. DO NOT ALLOW THE DEALER TO RESET THE MM UNTIL YOU HAVE MORE INFORMATION.

Mine has 1900 miles and oil life says 40%. Looking at the dipstick the oil looks clean like it was just changed. Perhaps it's a break in thing?
@TreasureCoast : my Accord went some 12,000+ km from new and the MM was at 40% (meaning 31 .. 40% life left). I could have gone to 18,500 km but changed it myself in the driveway. Didn't want to do that in mid January...

·
Registered
751 Posts
How long as the car been owned? The MM accounts for miles driven and/or elapsed time. If you only drove 800 miles in a year, you'll likely be prompted to change the oil based on time, not mileage.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,229 Posts
How long as the car been owned? The MM accounts for miles driven and/or elapsed time. If you only drove 800 miles in a year, you'll likely be prompted to change the oil based on time, not mileage.
The MM is not time based. That's why the owner's manual states:

*1: If a Maintenance Minder Message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Maybe I am wrong. I thought that point was made to say if the MM doesn't show up then you still need to change the oil. Either way the OP's MM is likely not functioning properly.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Again, the Maintenance Minder doesn't account for time in the Accord. The only Honda model that currently does is the 2018 Odyssey. Honda will be adding time as a factor in the oil life calculation in future vehicles as full model changes occur.

"Starting with the 2018 Odyssey, the maintenance minder system includes a 365-day timer that keeps count from when the last oil change was done. Once the system hits the 310-day mark, it will trigger a Maintenance Due Soon message on the driver information interface and it will read Oil Life: 15% when you access the maintenance minder information. All models will apply this new logic at it's next full model change timing."

Attachments

·
Honda Enthusiast
2,059 Posts
Oil does not go bad by time alone! I run oil for 2-3 years in my wife’s car that gets maybe 1K miles per year. Analysis indicates plenty of useful life remaining after that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
was wondering if someone could give me a pointer, new to the community. I've got a 2019 Sport 2.0 Auto leased last august. I don't drive it much, only have 1900 miles on it and most of my commutes are <5 miles and 15 min. Wouldn't say I push the car particularly hard, I keep it mostly in eco but sometimes like to have fun in sport mode. However my miles are all city miles and this winter have been mostly cold starts.

My oil is already saying sub 60% life remaining. Was just surprised by this, are these alarms set on 12 month timers and automatically decay like 10% each month if mileage limits aren't being hit?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
was wondering if someone could give me a pointer, new to the community. I've got a 2019 Sport 2.0 Auto leased last august. I don't drive it much, only have 1900 miles on it and most of my commutes are <5 miles and 15 min. Wouldn't say I push the car particularly hard, I keep it mostly in eco but sometimes like to have fun in sport mode. However my miles are all city miles and this winter have been mostly cold starts.

My oil is already saying sub 60% life remaining. Was just surprised by this, are these alarms set on 12 month timers and automatically decay like 10% each month if mileage limits aren't being hit?
According to information from Honda, the 2018-current Odyssey is the only Honda model that currently includes elapsed time as a factor in calculating remaining oil life.

Short trips, city driving, cold weather, and cold starts represent some of the conditions that rapidly deplete oil life which why your remaining oil life is decreasing relatively fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Honda Accord Owners,

I purchased my car in November 2019. I was checking my diagnostics, and i noticed that the oil life is at 40%. My question is how often should i change the oil in the car? Or what certain percentage should be an indicator that i should change the oil? Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Honda Accord Owners,

I purchased my car in November 2019. I was checking my diagnostics, and i noticed that the oil life is at 40%. My question is how often should i change the oil in the car? Or what certain percentage should be an indicator that i should change the oil? Thanks for the comments.
I would never go below 15% MM if you intend to keep a turbo engine running for the long run.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,062 Posts
I would never go below 15% MM if you intend to keep a turbo engine running for the long run.
Any particular reasons, though?

If you aren't the type that uses heavy boost a lot, I don't really see the necessity. I would think Honda took that into consideration when they designed the MM.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Corvalis TTX
5,565 Posts

Why? What do you know that the Honda engineers don't? Upon what are you basing your argument?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why? What do you know that the Honda engineers don't? Upon what are you basing your argument?
Someone asked the question so I answered based on my own personal experience with turbo engines and research over the years, including some oil analysis done on my own vehicles. I am by no means an engineer. I offered my opinion. I try to do 5k oil changes regardless of mm. (edit) If your mm is 0% before 5k then yeah absolutely change it. There is clearly logic in the MM with regards to temp, operating conditions, etc so If you are at zero after 1000 miles, that's one thing. But I think 5k is quite reasonable for a high performance direct injected turbocharged engine that runs 20psi and on 87 octane fuel and severe conditions.

My wife's CRV with the 1.5 engine is still a diluter, even after the TSB. The level visibly rises on her dipstick over time. My 1.5 EXT was a diluter, but to a lesser extent. Such is the nature of most TGDI engines. I have not heard of many engine failures due to dilution, but I would rather be safe than sorry. The CRV has over 50k miles in 2 years. Hoping for another 100k.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,062 Posts
Someone asked the question so I answered based on my own personal experience with turbo engines and research over the years, including some oil analysis done on my own vehicles. I am by no means an engineer. I offered my opinion. I try to do 5k oil changes regardless of mm. (edit) If your mm is 0% before 5k then yeah absolutely change it. There is clearly logic in the MM with regards to temp, operating conditions, etc so If you are at zero after 1000 miles, that's one thing. But I think 5k is quite reasonable for a high performance direct injected turbocharged engine that runs 20psi and on 87 octane fuel and severe conditions.

My wife's CRV with the 1.5 engine is still a diluter, even after the TSB. The level visibly rises on her dipstick over time. My 1.5 EXT was a diluter, but to a lesser extent. Such is the nature of most TGDI engines. I have not heard of many engine failures due to dilution, but I would rather be safe than sorry. The CRV has over 50k miles in 2 years. Hoping for another 100k.
It runs 20psi boost at peak. That means the gas pedal all the way to the floor. That's the point I am trying to make. Do you track or autocross your Accord, or in general drive in spiritedly? If not, you are seeing nowhere near that amount of boost. In fact, you would still be at vacuum or very light boost for most daily driving.

Care to share some UOA here? Are you seeing excessive wear due to the oil dilution?

421 - 440 of 446 Posts