Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

441 - 460 of 482 Posts

·
Corvalis TTX
5,580 Posts
Someone asked the question so I answered based on my own personal experience with turbo engines and research over the years, including some oil analysis done on my own vehicles. I am by no means an engineer. I offered my opinion. I try to do 5k oil changes regardless of mm. (edit) If your mm is 0% before 5k then yeah absolutely change it. There is clearly logic in the MM with regards to temp, operating conditions, etc so If you are at zero after 1000 miles, that's one thing. But I think 5k is quite reasonable for a high performance direct injected turbocharged engine that runs 20psi and on 87 octane fuel and severe conditions.

My wife's CRV with the 1.5 engine is still a diluter, even after the TSB. The level visibly rises on her dipstick over time. My 1.5 EXT was a diluter, but to a lesser extent. Such is the nature of most TGDI engines. I have not heard of many engine failures due to dilution, but I would rather be safe than sorry. The CRV has over 50k miles in 2 years. Hoping for another 100k.

I note that you're basing your oil change intervals on feelings rather than on data. Which is fine for you and your vehicle. Your assertion (stronger than an opinion, BTW, despite your protestation to the contrary) that if you want engine longevity you should never let the MM get below 15% is pure garbage however, with nothing scientific to back it up. Whether or not other readers follow your recommendation is up to them, but you have presented no real data to convince anyone that they should.

You used the figure of 15% as the threshold. Why not 20% or 10%? How did you come to the conclusion that 15% was the proper figure?

Reactions: grumpypolecat

·
2020 best year
4,248 Posts
I note that you're basing your oil change intervals on feelings rather than on data. Which is fine for you and your vehicle. Your assertion (stronger than an opinion, BTW, despite your protestation to the contrary) that if you want engine longevity you should never let the MM get below 15% is pure garbage however, with nothing scientific to back it up. Whether or not other readers follow your recommendation is up to them, but you have presented no real data to convince anyone that they should.
I have a feeling that the fuel dilution is like the VTC rattle on the 8th Gen I4 engines. It's irritating, but at the same time, I am not seeing widespread engine damage caused by it or there would be a class action lawsuit for it(like the 8th Gen V6 VCM, which actually causes engine problems). Honda also extended the warranty on the 1.5T Civics(not sure about the Accords or CR-V), so if something does go south, there is that.

You can spend money to make you feel better(change oil more frequently/change out the VTC actuator), but it's also not really doing any damage, so... you can just leave it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would never go below 15% MM if you intend to keep a turbo engine running for the long run.
Unlike.

Sky is falling mentality......

I've ran my 2.0 1000-1500 miles past the MM for convenience reasons the last couple oil changes; this has equated to oil change intervals of 12,800 and 13,400 miles. This engine loafs along at 2000 rpm (at 85 mph!) for the majority of it's operation and in no way whatsoever requires 5000 mile oil change intervals. It's some of the cleanest dirty oil I've ever seen when it's drained at 12K plus miles. I'm actually pretty sure it'd easily go 15K or more (never had an OA), but will stick to in the ballpark of what Honda recommends.

No Chicken Little for me.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T 6 Sp Manual
28 Posts
I am surprised to read through 22 pages of comments and only see a single oil analysis report.

I have been in touch with Honda Canada, and am waiting to hear back from some Honda engineers at the moment (been waiting for a week) to explain the extremely high (in the 99th percentile) (Silicon and Aluminum) (see page 2) concentration of abrasives found in my first change oil. Not very impressed with the MM so far myself. High abrasives - especially in "Unacceptable" or "Severe" is very concerning. If that is all from break in, I would rather have two shorter oil changes myself to flush that out faster. If it is not from break-in, I may have a problem with my Accord.

Notes on sample:
Sport 2.0T 6 Speed Manual
Changed at 5%.
Commute to work is about 80km each way with 95% highway miles.
Sample pulled mid stream at about 30% discharge state.

I will not be waiting to 5% again without further testing.

Anyone else have first change oil analysis data? A lot of speculation of feelings and who to "trust" but little actual data I have seen so far.

Attachments

·
2020 best year
4,248 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T 6 Sp Manual
28 Posts
That is a pretty good article.

That article does call out that a 3 to 1 ratio of Si to Al can indicate dirt, also elevated SI with Al was part of Case study 2 indicating improper cleaning after a sanding disk use. At this point, I cannot be sure one way or another. It could be as simple as gasket material and initial wear Al.

With numbers this high, I am disappointed that there was not a early oil change interval recommended.

Looking forward to seeing what the engineer from Honda explains.

Anyone else getting similar numbers? So far the only other test I have seen had numbers lower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi guys,

so I had my first oil change at 6500 miles (im not sure if i should have done it earlier..the oil was very black but the maintanence reminder still said i still had 10% of oil life left).

i wanted to put a synthetic oil but the mechanic only had 5w-30 so thats what he used and it seems like the manual says 0w-20. would this do any damage to the vehicle? im in north jersey so it is starting to get hot but still bothers me a bit.

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
Reactions: qman

·
2018 LX
171 Posts
Due to a turbos tight tolerances, a full synthetic should be used. In a 10th Gen Accord SAE 0W-20 is called for by Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Due to a turbos tight tolerances, a full synthetic should be used. In a 10th Gen Accord SAE 0W-20 is called for by Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh a mechanic put 5w-30 full synthetic oil. it was full synthetic, cept it wasnt 0w-20

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have put maybe 3,000 miles on my accord in 11 months and there is no way the wear on the engine needs to have the oil replaced. I put Amsoil 0-20 in it and that stuff is rated for up to 20,000 miles.

The Honda computer is designed to bring the interval down so it shows needing to be changed every 12 months or at a certain mileage on the car. That's what I've seen in 2 years of ownership and find it stupid that it tells me I need to change it already again.

Additionally, the car is 2 years old almost and hasn't even hit 10,000 because I work from home most of the time. I've adhered to the maintenance routine but the oil was barely even dirty when I did the first change at 6500.

I think the computer is wrong because it's a guesstimate from Honda not a definite.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Unlike.

Sky is falling mentality......

I've ran my 2.0 1000-1500 miles past the MM for convenience reasons the last couple oil changes; this has equated to oil change intervals of 12,800 and 13,400 miles. This engine loafs along at 2000 rpm (at 85 mph!) for the majority of it's operation and in no way whatsoever requires 5000 mile oil change intervals. It's some of the cleanest dirty oil I've ever seen when it's drained at 12K plus miles. I'm actually pretty sure it'd easily go 15K or more (never had an OA), but will stick to in the ballpark of what Honda recommends.

No Chicken Little for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just had my second oil change at 20k miles. I did it at the dealer both times as the first oil change was free at the dealer and the second one was so cheap using one of their specials I could not even buy oil and a filter for it. Wondering if I need to do anything else with it though? The guy at the dealership said everything was good and nothing else was needed.

·
Registered
2013 Accord Sport CBP
37 Posts
Had my 1st oil change on my '19 Sport 1.5 yesterday. Purchased new in Dec '19 but didn't get it till Jan '20. Put 7,782 when the MM (15%) came on and changed the oil. Changed the oil myself and put 0W-20 as recommended. That's about average for me as I previously had a 13' Accord Sport and changed the oil on that with roughly similar mileage. Really enjoying this 10th Gen Accord. Only thing I wish the Accord Sport came with was the moonroof. Other than that, great car.

441 - 460 of 482 Posts