Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid EXL Lunar Silver Metallic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to when you should get an oil change. Do you go off of the mantience oil life percentage on your dash display? Or the tag from your last oil change that shows the mileage and or date you should take it back in by? Currently my display shows an oil life of 50% but my tag says I’m 1k overdue for an oil change.

· Registered
552 Posts
When it comes to when you should get an oil change. Do you go off of the mantience oil life percentage on your dash display? Or the tag from your last oil change that shows the mileage and or date you should take it back in by? Currently my display shows an oil life of 50% but my tag says I’m 1k overdue for an oil change.
You should provide a bit more details.

Your tag says you are 1k overdue.

So, 1k over what number? Let us know.

And what is the mileage interval the dealership wrote on your tag from last oil change?

· Registered
4,064 Posts
Use Mobil1 and change oil every 10,000 miles.

3,000 mile oil changes were the thing to do in the 80s. Around the turn of the century it was 5,000. Keep up with the times Jack.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

· Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
147 Posts

3,000 mile oil changes were the thing to do in the 80s. Around the turn of the century it was 5,000. Keep up with the times Jack.
In the HAH, I agree. Normally aspirated, port injected, and only on for ~60% of normal driving. If I had an Accord with a 1.5t or 2.0t I would run half the MM interval.

The last several cars I owned were DI turbo engines. No way I was going 10k in my GTI or Regal with 2.0T’s, but that’s what they recommended. It helps show their cost of ownership low in the marketing.

· Registered
2013 Accord Sport CVT
101 Posts
Use your maintenance minder and find a better shop who knows how to perform oil change correctly.
You don’t even need to remember the procedure of reset oil change computer on each make, a shop level scan tool can do that. On my friends shop there were no modern vehicle with a maintenance computer offered an oil change stickers.
Honda’s maintenance minder is a very intelligent system. Some items are purely distance based but for oil, it’s condition based. I see variation goes between 8000 to 15000km on my car.

· Registered
27 Posts
3 months usually is the rule. Don't go past recommend mileage.

· V6 Supremacist, but not as good as WiiMaster
Pair of 8th Gen Sedans - V6 & I4
256 Posts

Pretty much same, here.

Mobil 1 HM EP.

0W20 now recommended (by Honda and Acura) for my old, old Acura TL and old, old, older Odyssey. Both originally spec'd 5W20.

Now I get to use the same oil on everything in the family fleet (couple o' 8th Gen Accords, and some 9th Gen Civics, and the above vehicles).

AmSOil filters, change the oil once a year.

OF

1 - 20 of 24 Posts