Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2013 Accord (93k miles) that we have normally had an oil change every 6 months (when oil life is 30%. Yes, I know, I could go longer but its so easy to remember). I don't use the car - how does the MM alert you to jobs that need to be done? I push the button on the instrument panel until oil life shows oil life but I've never seen any other codes. Is the oil% screen where the alerts would be? Do I have to hold down the button to display other items? Can I see what's coming up? I have no idea if the transmission or spark plugs have ever popped up. Thanks!

· Registered
Honda Accord 2006 EX-L Nav. 2.4l with 123K miles
134 Posts
I've never seen a code in the MM. I reset the minder with each oil change but never let it drop to 15%. The most low it has got is 30% after like a year.

The codes appear with a letter and a number. A1, A2...etc according to the manual. It just appears with a yellow wrench.

· Registered
2013 Sport sedan I4 CVT
52 Posts
My wife has a 2013 Accord (93k miles) that we have normally had an oil change every 6 months (when oil life is 30%. Yes, I know, I could go longer but its so easy to remember). I don't use the car - how does the MM alert you to jobs that need to be done? I push the button on the instrument panel until oil life shows oil life but I've never seen any other codes. Is the oil% screen where the alerts would be? Do I have to hold down the button to display other items? Can I see what's coming up? I have no idea if the transmission or spark plugs have ever popped up. Thanks!
I have a 2013 Accord too and if I wait for the oil life to get down to 15%, the MM shows the letter and number code for the next service required, along with the yellow wrench light. The Honda maintenance schedule explains what each letter A or B, and the numbers 1, 2, 3 mean on each case.
The same display in my car can also show other issues; it once reported "Check Charge System". I attach pictures to illustrate.

You may also check the upcoming codes, see this other post:

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the pics!!! Ok, so the problem is that I'm not letting it drop to 15%! I'm surprised because a lot of people don't trust it and have it done earlier than that. Maybe thats what I'll start to do. [I found a couple of places online where they say there is a way to see what maintenance is upcoming, but I can't seem to find exactly what to do.]

· Registered
2013 Sport sedan I4 CVT
52 Posts
For the sedan look it up online at

I've been following the MM since I got the car new in 2012, I have almost 100k miles on it and I never had a problem. I drive mostly on highways but winter where I live is quite demanding too.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the sedan look it up online at

I've been following the MM since I got the car new in 2012, I have almost 100k miles on it and I never had a problem. I drive mostly on highways but winter where I live is quite demanding too.
Thanks, appreciate it. Glad you haven't had a problem. I'm aware of the manual and I'm happy to follow the MM. The problem is that I have my oil changed before I hit 15% oil life when the yellow range indicator turns on, therefore I haven't been getting the other codes.

· Super Moderator
4,517 Posts
Since you are not following the MM for the oil changes, you should just stick to your own schedule for everything else. You can also just not reset the MM when you change the oil every 6 months and wait until the alert comes up to see what codes you get then reset it.

· Registered
25 Posts
[I found a couple of places online where they say there is a way to see what maintenance is upcoming, but I can't seem to find exactly what to do.]
1) Turn the key to power on and switch to oil life %
2) Press and hold the knob until it starts blinking (should take 10 seconds or so)

This will show upcoming maintenance codes. Then simply power off to not reset it.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1) Turn the key to power on and switch to oil life %
2) Press and hold the knob until it starts blinking (should take 10 seconds or so)

This will show upcoming maintenance codes. Then simply power off to not reset it.
THANKS! That helps a lot!

Hey all, I have a 2013 with 90k miles (almost all highway) and I haven't been keeping up with the Maintenance Minder (I am now). When were you told to change, by the MM, to change the coolant, tranny fluid and spark plugs? (I actually already had the coolant changed but I'm still curious). Thanks!!!

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
I don't wait for the transmission fluid numbers to pop up....change mine every 30K.
I have no idea what the MM says for that. I've never waited on a Honda ATF change.

I change the coolant at 100K and spark plugs somewhere between 90-100K miles.
You should see that info pop up around those same mileages.

Why two threads on essentially the same question?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first thread I wasn't sure how to get the MM readings since I changed my oil before it did 15% (now I know to hold in the button for 10 seconds to see my upcoming maintenance.).
For this thread I'm curious if I may have missed an important maintenance item like Transmission flush, spark plugs, etc. I'm interested to see when others have been alerted to perform maintenance. For now on, I'll be checking the MM of course. Edit: i changed the title of this merged thread to obtain that info. sorry if they seemed like a duplicate!

· Registered
2015 EXVL Coupe w/Navi
412 Posts
I wish Honda still provided an outline of the scheduling like they used to - if there’s one available for the 2015 I can’t find it. Everything I find points to the maintenance minder.

I’ll stick to what I know but am interested in viewing upcoming codes as I have about 47k. Planning on coolant this Spring and transmission at 60k. Don’t think I’ll have the car at 100k for plugs or 84 months for timing belt.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: goody222

· Registered
2,172 Posts
I don't wait for the transmission fluid numbers to pop up....change mine every 30K.
I have no idea what the MM says for that. I've never waited on a Honda ATF change.

I change the coolant at 100K and spark plugs somewhere between 90-100K miles.
You should see that info pop up around those same mileages.

Me too. I use a spreadsheet to track miles and times.

Another concern: Since this is now my wife’s car, she only does about 5K miles a year for the past couple, so my oil changes have been on time, not miles.

Using a spreadsheet helps keep things in order.

Reactions: llebcire

· Registered
2015 EXVL Coupe w/Navi
412 Posts
Now that I’m full synthetic I’ll be 12 months or 12,000 miles for oil changes .

I’ve been using a free CarFax Maintenance app for years - tracks everything (including fuel economy) and let’s you know what’s due. Using the VIN it also pulls in previous events that are on the CarFax.

-Eric

· Registered
2015 Accord Ex-l
89 Posts
I wish Honda still provided an outline of the scheduling like they used to - if there’s one available for the 2015 I can’t find it. Everything I find points to the maintenance minder.

I’ll stick to what I know but am interested in viewing upcoming codes as I have about 47k. Planning on coolant this Spring and transmission at 60k. Don’t think I’ll have the car at 100k for plugs or 84 months for timing belt.

-Eric

any of these help by chance?

Attachments

· Cruising in Montana
2015 Accord Sport, 4-cylinder, CVT
5,096 Posts
I’ll stick to what I know but am interested in viewing upcoming codes as I have about 47k. Planning on coolant this Spring and transmission at 60k.
There is a way to preview the upcoming codes. I don't know how it's done on your car though. Changing coolant at 60k? That's too soon.

· Registered
2015 EXVL Coupe w/Navi
412 Posts
any of these help by chance?
Thanks!
They are also on Honda's website.
There is a way to preview the upcoming codes. I don't know how it's done on your car though. Changing coolant at 60k? That's too soon.
What I don't like is not knowing where I'm at for maintenance and what to plan for. Example - I have fairly low mileage for a 2015 (47k) but my antifreeze is 5 years old. Figuring a typical driver is 12 - 15k/year, most cars would have between 60 - 75k miles on them which would be getting close to a drain/fill. I was actually planning on replacing my coolant around 50k miles and servicing the transmission before 60k.

I'm probably too old school and need to learn to trust the MM - my older Hondas were simple from a schedule perspective and many here that purchase a used vehicle proactively change fluids to be on the safe side.

And - according to the MM, the oil filter doesn't need to be changed every time, just the oil. Who does that?

-Eric

· Cruising in Montana
2015 Accord Sport, 4-cylinder, CVT
5,096 Posts
And - according to the MM, the oil filter doesn't need to be changed every time, just the oil. Who does that?
I do.

I was like you though, when I first got my car 6 years ago. It took me a while to learn to trust the maint. minder, but ultimately I found (through oil/ATF/coolant analysis at a lab) that it really does know what it's doing.

· Registered
2015 EXVL Coupe w/Navi
412 Posts
I do.

I was like you though, when I first got my car 6 years ago. It took me a while to learn to trust the maint. minder, but ultimately I found (through oil/ATF/coolant analysis at a lab) that it really does know what it's doing.
Interesting.

I have trouble wrapping my head around not replacing the filter every time especially when I go 12 months on a change. Honda is a company that wants their vehicles to last as long as possible and their engineers designed the MM with that in mind.

Buying my vehicle used I don’t know what was or wasn’t done and the CarFax doesn’t have anything listed so that’s no help. I could either send my antifreeze and transmission fluid out for analysis or simply change them when I feel it’s appropriate - worst case it’s too early.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.