Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had an air vent phone mount for years and it’s served me well. Eyeballing how the phone might sit where the middle air vents are doesn’t seem too promising. How do you have your phone set up in your 10th gen? Pics welcome!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Interested as well... thinking of getting a suction cup mount for the windshield

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have it on the vent clip. It does block a lot of airflow, I'm looking for something different especially when it starts getting hot here in FL. Don't want anything on the windshield, lower if anything. Maybe something on the front of the center console swing cover. If I find anything I'll post here

·
Registered
108 Posts
Apple CarPlay isn’t everything to me. It’s a great improvement to the interaction but I want to use Waze and not Apple maps.
AA has an option to toggle between Google maps and Waze. Carplay doesn't have that option?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AA has an option to toggle between Google maps and Waze. Carplay doesn't have that option?

It does not. Apple wants you to use Apple everything. The only non Apple apps that show in CarPlay for me are audible, Spotify, and a local radio station app.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just curious - why do you mount your phone when you have CarPlay or Android Auto?

Just asking.
Hondata has an app to display a lot more info on the car. I wanted to have it displayed while driving so I can record screen among other things. Android auto and Apple car play aren’t really big for me other than the Navi, which I rarely use. Also the cup holders are too massive to hold a phone, even for my iPhone 7 Plus.

I have it on the vent clip. It does block a lot of airflow, I'm looking for something different especially when it starts getting hot here in FL. Don't want anything on the windshield, lower if anything. Maybe something on the front of the center console swing cover. If I find anything I'll post here
What phone are you using? I’ve had vent clips snap from my phone - wish I was kidding. So I’m a little skeptical on the vent clips

·
Registered
13 Posts
No Longer Need to "mount" the phone

I’ve had an air vent phone mount for years and it’s served me well. Eyeballing how the phone might sit where the middle air vents are doesn’t seem too promising. How do you have your phone set up in your 10th gen? Pics welcome!
I'm using Android Auto and no longer have to mount the phone. I just plug it in and lay it down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm using Android Auto and no longer have to mount the phone. I just plug it in and lay it down.
I was going to do that but worried about bad satellite signal reception if I place the phone in storage. I don't want to place the phone on passenger seat or cup holder either. I still have the phone mount from previous car, so I mounted it on dashboard behind that tablet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was going to do that but worried about bad satellite signal reception if I place the phone in storage. I don't want to place the phone on passenger seat or cup holder either. I still have the phone mount from previous car, so I mounted it on dashboard behind that tablet.
When plugging in through the USB and using Android Auto, I believe it uses the cars' GPS device, rather than the phones.

Also, if you want easy mounting, and you have a PopSocket, they have car mounts for the PopSocket to pretty much stick anywhere you can stick 3M tape.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When plugging in through the USB and using Android Auto, I believe it uses the cars' GPS device, rather than the phones.

Also, if you want easy mounting, and you have a PopSocket, they have car mounts for the PopSocket to pretty much stick anywhere you can stick 3M tape.
good to know that. unfortunately, my exl does not have GPS. I think only exln and touring have GPS.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am looking for a way to mount my phone and use it to record videos while driving, essentially like a dash cam. Is there a mount/solution I could get for the dashboard that is easily removable? Because 9 out of 10 times I get in my car, I won't want it there.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Go Figure :( Once again in almost every aspect Apple is getting outdone! SO sad as I am almost to the point of purging apple out of my life. There has been NO CREATIVITY since Jobs Passed. :crying

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just curious - why do you mount your phone when you have CarPlay or Android Auto?
A few reasons for me...

1) There are many time when I need to pull up a contact or calendar entry that has an address, and hit the icon to start navigating there. Can't do that with Android Auto.
2) AA locks out your phone unless you find the right combination of taps (for my LG V30, I have to press the Task Switcher button, then the home button). There are times when I need to open another app, e.g. my Chamberlain app to open my garage door (for the times when my opener remote doesn't want to work), and it's a pain to try to get around AA first.
3) Improving my phone's battery life: I try to let my phone's battery get pretty low before I charge it again, since that improves the battery life. If I plug in to AA, it charges, of course, but I'm usually not in the car long enough for it to charge all the way, so it'll keep getting partially drained and then partially charged.
4) It's much easier to zoom and access other navigation features on my phone screen than on the car's touch screen.

And that's just off the top of my head.

I had an iOttie wireless suction cup mount in my 2014. It was mounted on the surface in front of the upper screen (my car didn't have a lower screen), and that worked very well. Right now, I'm trying out the iOttie vent-mounted wireless charger. It works pretty well, but sometimes feels like it's coming loose from the vent. Also, the phone blocks the right-hand knob on the display, so I have to reach over the phone and curl my fingers down to get to the knob. Kind of annoying, but not a show-stopper. But I may try what others have suggested, and use my previous mount behind the display and have it sitting on top. In California, it's illegal to have anything mounted to the windshield, but it's not illegal to have something mounted on the dash that's blocking the view. Go figure!

·
1.5T Touring - Gen10
141 Posts
Pro Clip has the best, most professional looking mounts:
ProclipUSA dot Com

You pick your mount, then your device holder. A bit pricey, but will last forever and doesn't move around while driving.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am looking for a way to mount my phone and use it to record videos while driving, essentially like a dash cam. Is there a mount/solution I could get for the dashboard that is easily removable? Because 9 out of 10 times I get in my car, I won't want it there.
Just get a dash cam.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts