Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I want to install led strips in the footwells of my coupe, question is where can i tap into? i did this on my fusion and just hooked into the dimmer switch so they came on with the lights and could also be dimmed. this doesn't seem possible since the switch is in the cluster on the accord.

could i tap into the glove box light?

i want them to be on when the car is on or when the lights are on.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
well for my fog lights i tapped into the 12v power outlet. i would assume its the same concept?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i dont believe so. i only tapped into that so i wouldnt have any problems of forgetting to turn off my fogs when i leave the car and draining my battery. it does indeed turn off when ignition is off, and turns back on when the ignition is on. so the 12v power outlet should only have power when ignition is on. i just tapped into the one between the center cubby and the shifter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont believe so. i only tapped into that so i wouldnt have any problems of forgetting to turn off my fogs when i leave the car and draining my battery. it does indeed turn off when ignition is off, and turns back on when the ignition is on. so the 12v power outlet should only have power when ignition is on. i just tapped into the one between the center cubby and the shifter.
thanks, gonna do this tonight, i'll post pics later.

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Don't tap into the 12v accessory. It will only be on when the car is on, but it will always be on when the car is on. What good are they in the daytime except wasting the life of them. You can tap the glovebox if you want and then it will run whenever the headlights are on. (Which is what I think you're looking for) You could also tap the ignition switch light, there's a diy on here for that- then they'll dim with your interior lights, but not be on when your driving. I have mine powered 2 ways, one so they fade with the interiors, and a seperate switch so I can have it on independently if I want

If you want to tap the 12v and are set on that, get a switch for the day time.

·
The taste of Vtec!
941 Posts
Mine goes with the cig light since I can turn it on and off...All up to me

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
How did you do that and what type of switch did you use? Thx
I took some pics for ya just now out in my school parking lot and sent them to my laptop via bt. This is how its wired now because I've been testing some stuff, pretty sloppy, but I'll be changing that soon. I've been adding and changing stuff like crazy so for now just bare with it lol.

So I have my little station set up back here behind this panel..

pull back the black air duct and you got a nice little working area to store wires, as long as you make sure their secured because theres also a lot of metal back there.

anyway, on the little terminal box i got (labeled kick terminal on my next drawing), the top left red wire is my main ground. Since the fader is controlled using the negative wire, all of my lighting around my car sources a constant 12v positive source nearest themselves, and use this common ground.

next is my setup:

in its first position, all of the lights follow the negative line from the map lights. I have a wire that runs down behind the curtain airbag to that switch, and from the switch to that kick terminal. in second position, the switch switches the negative from the map lights to the body. This is critical to light up only my accessory lighting because if i wasnt using a two way switch that cut out the map lights from the circuit, the map lights would turn on whenever i hit the switch, which is just as good as opening a door or anything in that sort. you have to completely cut it out of the system if you want to have the lights follow the interior on/off/fade etc on one hand, and light up when you choose on the other. I have to do some more modifying if I want any of my accessory interior lighting on when I'm driving because right now (idk if you seen my beautiful door handles lol so here:)

If i leave it in the current setup, and tried to have my interior footwell etc (i plan to add airvent lights, cupholders, little accents here and there), my outer handles and side mirror lights (when i get to that) will be on when driving, so ill have to utilize possible a second switch for interior vs exterior lighting. my door handle light fades in and out when unlocking the car as well, which is what i wanted. so the 3rd switch would be only for driving. I dont drive with them on anyway, so i'm just speculating for how someone else might want it. this setup now is ideal for me.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Tap those bitches into the dome light (the one above your head). That's how I have mine wired, this way they come on when you open the doors, and fade off once you turn the ignition on and have the doors closed. When you take the key out of the ignition, they come back on. I would hate to have them on all the time at night.

Here's the thread from it:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38919

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Pull down the sunglasses holder and you'll see bolts. 8mm iirc. There's also one in each map light under the covers. Make sure you put those back in or the lights won't work.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
How do youget into the map light console?
To remove the map lights, flip down the sunglasses holder and remove the two bolts, then pop off the two lenses that cover the lights and remove those two bolts. It just pops out, be sure to disconnect the lights.

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Get a voltmeter and tap the negative line from the lights

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pull down the sunglasses holder and you'll see bolts. 8mm iirc. There's also one in each map light under the covers. Make sure you put those back in or the lights won't work.
Heh, I see you've discovered the Ignition key wiring after you did the dome installation.

I've got my LEDs wired to the ignition key, for those who want to try, here's a link to the DIY:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12921

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Heh, I see you've discovered the Ignition key wiring after you did the dome installation.

I've got my LEDs wired to the ignition key, for those who want to try, here's a link to the DIY:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12921
Yeah I went through and played with the ignition switch, but went back to the dome after wanting some control over the lighting (i didnt feel like buying switches because i had nowhere 'nice' to put them). Now that i have seperate switches laid out for things, ill probably go back to the ignition switch. I have so many wires lol if you look at my little terminal box its funny. Its velcro'd behind the radio, with 4 different wires that lead around the car, then hardwire for radar, gps, and usb charger, and then also the aux input and the coin tray light. and more will be added soon when i finish with the air vent 'ambient' lighting im working on. its getting to be overwhelming under there hahah.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts