Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Honda Accord ex 2.4l v-Tec is making a whining noise when I accelerate, oil changes are on time every time every service is done on time every time. Any thoughts what it could be?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Common issue. my parents 04 4Cyl auto is making the same noise between 60 mph and up on highway when accelerating (disappears while foot off the gas). I searched everywhere and it was most likely the transmission noise which needs $$$ and time to fix.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
347 Posts
Whining is usually a problem with the transmission, so oil changes wouldn't matter here. What's your mileage, and have you ever had the transmission fluid changed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whining is usually a problem with the transmission, so oil changes wouldn't matter here. What's your mileage, and have you ever had the transmission fluid changed?
About 223k and I’ve had the vehicle for the last about 20k miles and since I’ve had it it’s had routine oil changes and all maintenance but I have not changed the transmission fluid

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
347 Posts
I see. Yeah, again, oil changes aren't really relevant when we're talking about transmission issues.
This is an automatic, right? I would recommend you check the fluid and maybe change it too, although if your transmission is whining it's probably too late. Check the fluid level and color- wipe the trans dipstick on a white paper towel, red is good, but if it's brown or smells burnt it's overdue for a change. If it's brown and yucky, you might have worn out the transmission gears by driving on old fluid.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
My 2005 does the same thing and it only has 110,000 miles on it. The last person to describe this noise and made it go away did it by replacing his alternator or serpentine belt tensioner bearing or something like that. It had to do with one of the items driven by the serpentine belt. I have a spare alternator in my garage so I'm gonna try it when its warmer. I also have two spare tensioner pulleys that still have good bearings.

First thing to do is remove the belt and spin things and see if anything with a bearing isn't spinning quite right.

Reactions: TX Accord

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just took it to a shop and they looked at it for free and said it’s the hub assembly.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
OK. I know the sound of bearings going bad. I guess I would describe it as more of a groan or grinding sound and not a whine. The whine I hear in mine is like a high pitched whistle and only at highway speeds (>60) and only with foot on gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that what it is for my too it’s high pitched whining the guy got in the car with me and we started hitting that mph and he automatically told me what it was without hesistation.

It might be worth taking a look at

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Mine is definitely not a hub bearing. I've heard them a number of times and this is definitely not that. When its a bearing the noise speeds up and slows down with the speed of the car which makes sense. The faster you roll a bearing the faster it is going bad. But that doesn't happen with this whistle. It doesn't matter if I speed up or not it stays the same.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am 100% sure that it is not the bearings. Tranny drain and refill will not fix the issue either (I did that two times with brand new OEM filters)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts