Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I just purchased a sport couple of days back. I have researched a lot on this forum before i chose the accord over the mazda 6 and fusion. I want to thank everyone on this forum for the wonderful amount of information which anyone can find here.
So this is my first post here...
Is it normal that when the ac is on, on can hear a whirling sound approx 2 seconds long reoccuring every 10 seconds or so accompanied with a slight increase of vibration felt in the cabin?
I have noticed it when in parking with the ac on low, if the ac is stronger its hard to hear. But since i noticed it once i feel and here it now most of the times waiting at a red light and am wonderinhg if thats a normal thing?
Anyone with a similar experience out the...
Besides that i love the car...

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Welcome. I don't understand your issue. I have been using my AC every day all summer and have not experienced what you are describing. When you say AC is on low, do you mean low fan speed or low temperature? I leave my AC in auto mode and start the car and turn on the AC. If it's really hot, every afternoon since I bought the car in June, I run the temperature down to 65 degrees and the car cools down in less than five minutes. When it gets cold I run the temperature back up to 72 degrees. In the mornings I feel a slight momentary vibration when the compressor engages, but this is normal for any car with AC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i just reread my post, and writing that from my phone made me sound illiterate.
So I can here and notice it best when the fan speed is on the lowest speed. I can then hear a whirling sound from the front of the car accompanied with a slight vibration... It really isnt very loud, but noticable, and slightly irritating because it doesnt stop doing it...
I hope I am making this clear for people to understand...

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's just your A/C compressor cycling on and off. Totally normal. And the slight vibration is because the compressor puts a load on the engine when it's on and 4 cylinder engines don't make much torque at idle so they get a little buzzy with the extra load.

·
Registered
884 Posts
ok thank you for your answer, that is good to hear.
But one follow up question: why is the compressor constantly turning on and off?
Fuel economy probably.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
But one follow up question: why is the compressor constantly turning on and off?
If you have ECON mode on, I think the compressor will cycle on and off more frequently.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,507 Posts
If you're unsure, take it in and have your dealer or another Honda dealer look at it. It's got a warranty... put it to good use. Don't just rely on what people online think. We can't sit in your car and experience what you are.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
AC compressors cycle on and off for two reasons, one is when the car reaches the selected temperature the compressor is not needed to keep the evaporator cold enough to maintain the interior temperature. The other reason is to prevent the system from icing up.

I also think that in the ECON mode the compressor may cycle more often for better fuel economy. The compressor is a load on the engine so most cars will increase the idle RPM slightly when the compressor is operating to overcome the drag. I think in the future AC compressors will be powered by an electric motor instead of directly from the engine for better fuel efficiency. Obviously, cars like the Chevy Volt and other hybrids or cars that shut down the engine at stop lights probably have electric motor driven AC compressors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.