Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me pin point what’s the cause of this noise? It seems to be coming from the engine or the worn belt perhaps? 2017 honda accord with 33K mileages.

Noise at idle

Noise while reving up

·
Registered
999 Posts
Do a search on belt tensioner bearing. Also to confirm use mechanics stethoscope carefully touching the tensioner body with the probe. Can get it at HF on the cheap or use diy alternatives.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think your timing chain tensioner is bad or the oil passage feeding the tensioner is plugged. There is a TSB for both.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that a crack in the valve cover ??
@Cepega Are you asking if there is a crack in valve cover? I am not sure. Just took this pic after I got back from work at night. I will have to check it during the day. This leak is making me worry...I had oil change done last Saturday.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you just recently had oil change done, this can be just excessive spilled oil residue and the noise is unrelated to it.

Unless the extra oil got on the belt and it makes it squick

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Do a search on belt tensioner bearing. Also to confirm use mechanics stethoscope carefully touching the tensioner body with the probe. Can get it at HF on the cheap or use diy alternatives.
^This.
You can just change out the tensioner and hope that it is the source of the noise, but you're better off investing in a stethoscope...it's money well spent.

Reactions: MaSx

·
Registered
185 Posts
What is that fluid on the back picture?

I do not see a crack but I do see that fluid on the back picture.

That plastic cover on top of the head comes off pretty easy. Maybe remove that and find the leak. Is that pure oil or some antifreeze. It looks kind of milky, hard to tell what I am seeing.

I doubt any of this has anything to do with the noise. Yes you can replace the belt tensioner pretty easy, you may scratch up your hands and wrist trying to reach in there but it is doable.

The noise I am hearing sounds different than a tensioner, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What I would do is remove the serpentine belt. Start the car up for a few seconds to see if the noise is still there. If the noise is gone, then one of the units driven by the belt is the cause. Most likely the belt tensioner. If the noise is still there. It is the engine causing the noise. If that is the case, it could be the timing chain tensioner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I honestly cannot put in words as to how much I appreciate the advise and support I receive from all of you here at Drive Accord. Thank you!

Good news is, I found a good Honda Service Center I can work with. It was leaking and noise was due to the serpentine tensioner, another part (forgot the name) and the belt. They replaced them, and fixed some of my other issues, it’s running smooth and well. After such a long wait at the service center, I am finally relieved!

On the side note, I am slowly considering to go 100% DIY in the near future.

Thanks again. You guys rock!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
It would be nice to have the first 2 videos again but after you have repair completed. I say this because I thought I heard some tapping and rattling in addition to the higher pitch noises. This other noise is why I suggested the timing chain.

Hopefully it is just the serpentine tensioner and idler pulley and all the noise goes away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It would be nice to have the first 2 videos again but after you have repair completed. I say this because I thought I heard some tapping and rattling in addition to the higher pitch noises. This other noise is why I suggested the timing chain.

Hopefully it is just the serpentine tensioner and idler pulley and all the noise goes away.
Here are the video. I feel..the more I observe the more trouble I find. Generally, Honda Mechanics dismisses everything either with “cannot duplicate or can’t hear anything”

Cold startup (frequency noise)

another video here

Just bought one. I want to check the noise from alternator and this screeching noise on cold startup. I am hearing from recent video, and the more I dig, the more issues I find..only 3 years old car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts