Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting for what seems like forever with Acura's reveal, I was pretty impressed with the launch of the TLX a few weeks back and without any unforeseen issues I'll be moving out of my Touring 2.0 into a Type S when they come available.

My wife has a 19 RDX A spec and for the most part (sunroof not included, but taken care of) it's been a great vehicle with all the acura upgrades over the Honda's. I really like the interior (red/black seats) and ammemties like the ELS audio system and it's exterior upgrades like the jewel leds, the any door handle touch unlock (super nice when you have kids) and more.

I don't feel like I would make the jump to another other than the type s as I am looking for more performance. The Accord is good, the type R is too small for me now being in my 40's with a family so the Type S sits nicely with me.

What are your thoughts on the new TLX and will you be trading up?

·
8th Gen Believer
3,949 Posts
No. Not yet. The 2015-2019 generation has too many issues. One would hope those issues were eliminated for this generation, but no one knows. Nor would I buy the first year model of any generation. I'm a member of both Acurazine and the TLX forums. While I love the concept of a Honda made upgrade to Accords, in practice it's been a disappointment for many.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No. Not yet. The 2015-2019 generation has too many issues. One would hope those issues were eliminated for this generation, but no one knows. Nor would I buy the first year model of any generation.\
100%. Even Honda makes small adjustments to models the year after they came out. The second model year of a generation is almost always better than the first.

I love the exterior styling of the new TLX. (I like the exterior styling of the current TLX too). It's the interior that I don't like. I really disliked the interior of the 2020 TLX I sat in. From the pictures of the new model, I don't think I'm going to like the new generation's interior either. Maybe it will look better to me in person. I like the gauge cluster- but the center stack along with the little mouse/trackpad thing isn't too my liking.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,404 Posts
Not until one is selling used for about $19K.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've been reluctant on 1st model year stuff in the past, but with my wifes RDX,we haven't had much issue. Actually had more with the 2nd year accord interestingly enough.

The dual screen in the current gen tlx feels super dated. I wasn't sure about the trackpad, but I really like now in my wife's car. I wish it had better android auto integration, but I do just fine with the voice commands so its not so bad.

Somedays I do miss manual, but don't so too many or any track days anymore so I having an AT in the city and Hwy is perfect for me.

Of course I want to test drive one, but I'm sure I'll like it when I lay my eyes on it.

·
jayhawk1
53 Posts
I had a 2003 Acura CL Type-S 6 spd coupe that was a blast to drive and the best car I ever had, until I bought a 2018 Accord Touring 2.0. The new TLX is gorgeous, but the price differential doesn't warrant moving up.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
No. Not yet. The 2015-2019 generation has too many issues. One would hope those issues were eliminated for this generation, but no one knows. Nor would I buy the first year model of any generation. I'm a member of both Acurazine and the TLX forums. While I love the concept of a Honda made upgrade to Accords, in practice it's been a disappointment for many.
'98 Coupe was first year for 6th generation Accords. So many problems that Honda was forced to take mine back under the lemon law and replaced it with a '00 Coupe at no cost to me.

Virtually everything wrong in the '98 got fixed by '00, so I learned a hard lesson never buy the 1st year of any car generation. And the '00 was still going strong when I sold it in '16 with 170k on the clock.

YRMV!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I will -- my 2018 Accord has been great, and I'm not worried about the first year issues. I don't keep cars for 10 years anyway. I just wish the Type S was out earlier.

It goes without saying, but there's some pretty strong design cues from the Accord there (which makes sense). I laughed when I first saw it, because the current-gen TLX owners will almost certainly have fits for a year or two about it not looking boring enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It doesn't look like it has the same sportback roofline as the Accord. Or maybe I just need to see it in person. But I love the look of the Accord's side profile and styling overall.
Can't wait to hear more about the turbo V6 though. But no, I won't be trading up. Barely had this car for 2 months and it's everything I could want especially when I factor in the price. I'm not sure how mod friendly the TLX will be either. That's half the fun for me. Kudos to Honda though. They didn't drop the ball like Lexus on the IS.

·
port & polish everything
1,585 Posts
Not now the depreciation hit too big. If the new TLX were available at the time or if my car were totaled tomorrow then maybe. Some things good about the TLX, some not for me. Keep in mind Honda is probably refreshing the 10th gen Accord for 2021 also.

It sounded like the base FWD 2.0T TLX was going to be mid 30s, since the 2.0T sport was 31K-32K MSRP, that might be an ok premium for better suspension and unique look. One thing I do not like about the 10th gen "Sport" is that the handling is not sporty at all, the car still leans and plows if you try driving "spirited". Sadly my 8th gen K24 coupe still rotates much better even with old tires.

The Type-S model has not been fully detailed yet so the price to performance is yet to be seen. Also even the 10th gen is a little too big for me and the TLX is even bigger. Acura also needed a 2.0T ILX yesterday.

·
2020 CBP Touring
711 Posts
Did I hear correctly AWD will be available on the 2.0T version as well? That would be worth a look in a few years. Idk about the mouse pad infotainment controls though...

Maybe it's just me, but the body silhouette still looks very much like the Accord from the side. Sits low, long hood, short front overhang, low roof, short rear deck...
With a more handsome wrapper obviously.

I know they claim it's an entirely different chassis, but I bet it's a 1.6" stretched, reinforced accord chassis with a double wishbone in front (Nothing wrong with that, this Accord architecture is by far their most advanced sedan to date, and drives like it).
I wish C&D or Motortrend were worth reading anymore, 15 years ago they'd already know.

Reactions: 2018TwoPointOh

·
port & polish everything
1,585 Posts
Reactions: 2005 6mt

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I bet the AWD 4 banger will be the sweet spot. Question is what will the price delta be between that and an Accord. The V6 turbo will probably be 50k, not worth it for most.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I bet the AWD 4 banger will be the sweet spot. Question is what will the price delta be between that and an Accord. The V6 turbo will probably be 50k, not worth it for most.
It will start in the mid-$40s, from what I'm reading so far. I want one!

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,404 Posts
Will it (TLX Type S V6 turbo) have an open differential or some sort of LSD system?

·
port & polish everything
1,585 Posts
"The differential also controls power balance between the rear wheels—that is to say, it vectors torque. When sensors detect cornering forces, up to 70 percent of engine torque can be sent to the rear axle. Of that, 100 percent can be directed to the rear outside wheel, helping to push the vehicle forward. The result is an inward yaw moment that gives the feeling of rotation through a corner. This reduces the need for steering input, minimizes under- or oversteer, and allows power to be applied sooner. That's where SH-AWD gets its so-called "Super Handling" characteristics."

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would not be interested as there price point will be outrageous across the board. After driving both the Accord & TLX, I could not justify the additional costs for the Acura. They seem to be pushing their cars into the Audi price range lately and Audi's prices are not justified until you get into an S-series.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts