Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I would not be interested as there price point will be outrageous across the board. After driving both the Accord & TLX, I could not justify the additional costs for the Acura. They seem to be pushing their cars into the Audi price range lately and Audi's prices are not justified until you get into an S-series.
Drive a 2021 TLX when available -- you may change your mind. The current generation TLX is very outdated.

·
2020 CBP Touring
711 Posts
You get used to it, but yeah, I don't care for the push button gear selectors either.

Reactions: AccordPirate04

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wasn't familiar with the 2020 TLX, but have test driven the current RDX. But in looking at the web site info, I'd have to say that I think I like the Accord styling more, both exterior and interior. Although some people don't like the Accord's blunter nose (less sloped than the TLX), and some don't like the Accord taillights, I prefer the grille and headlight appearance of the Accord, and don't have a problem with the taillight design. I also like the Accord's roof profile, which is somewhat reminiscent of an Audi A7.

As for the interior - I'm sure the materials used in the TLX are at least somewhat better, but the interior design of the Accord seems cleaner to me.

I didn't happen to see performance specs for the 3.5L TLX, but it strikes me that it is quite possibly a tick or two slower than the 2.0T Accord (although presumably smoother)? Of course, you can't get SH-AWD on an Accord, nor the 4-wheel steering that comes with FWD TLX's. So the TLX probably handles a bit better. (And no hybrid option for the TLX...)

Back when I was test-driving an RDX, I was cross-shopping it with the Audi Q5 and Volvo XC60, as well as non-luxury alternatives, including Subaru Outback, Toyota RAV4 (gas and hybrid), and Honda CR-V. Compared to the Q5 and XC60, I thought that the RDX represented a good value. But in the end I opted for a fully-loaded Subaru Outback Touring XLT (2.4 liter turbo), which was a fair amount less than an RDX that had the same features. Basically, practicality and function won out, over the RDX's "form"....

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I remember driving a 1993 Acura Legend with a 4 something liter engine and manual transmission many years ago. That car was a legend indeed. Fast forward many years, I rode in a late model what is probably an entry level Acura, and I was disappointed by the way it drove, the interior, everything. It was thoroughly underwhelming. So no. I would much rather get a top of the line honda than a cheap acura.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I remember driving a 1993 Acura Legend with a 4 something liter engine and manual transmission many years ago. That car was a legend indeed. Fast forward many years, I rode in a late model what is probably an entry level Acura, and I was disappointed by the way it drove, the interior, everything. It was thoroughly underwhelming. So no. I would much rather get a top of the line honda than a cheap acura.
In high school my buddy had a '91 Prelude with 4WS and 5MT and took every chance I could to drive it. There's just something about those early 90's Honda's that we'll probably never get back.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, the original Prelude was a pretty slick car for its time. My only prior Honda was a bit older, but of the same basic style as those original Preludes - a 1986 Accord LXi (top of the line trim for back then). That was the first year for whatever gen that was..... A very nice handling car, that felt quite light and nimble. The 2.0 liter VTEC engine revved up nicely, even if it was only around 120 hp (IIRC). Never had any issues with the car, except for the wires to the pop-up headlights breaking, which was easy to fix myself.

·
port & polish everything
1,585 Posts
Honda/Acura never made a 4 liter production engine, the biggest are the ones you see today 3.7 and 3.5. The 2nd gen Legend had 3.2L.

·
2017 Accord Touring
22 Posts
Preach 🙌

...seems the quote's missing...
"Nor would I buy the first year model of any generation"

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Back in the day my dad had a 91 legend. It was just as smooth or smoother than my Accord. Compared to my 2014 Accord from memory, they feel quite similar. The interior and stereo much better on the 91. Shows not much changed over 23 years. Even the seat memory buttons seemed similar.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've always wanted an early 90s Legend Coupe in white. Those are just really good-looking cars that compete well with modern ones as long as the previous owners too care of them. Unfortunately, they are rare to find in good condition and are worth a lot more than you'd expect for a 25+ year-old Acura.

Right now Autotrader only lists three available in the whole USA... a green 1995 with 83,000 miles with a malfunctioning ABS system for $9000, a brown 1994 that obviously been modified a bit with 127,000 miles for $8,000, and a less than desirable black 1991 with 116,000 miles for $5000.

All of the prices are easily two or three times what KBB says that they are worth.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Audis are great cars.
Agreed, a base S4 starting at $49,500 msrp is not bad. considering there is some wiggle room, and a nicely optioned model for 55k. Has me kind of tempted to look into it more in about a year when my lease is getting closer to ending. The interior quality on Audi is second to none, and the options and cabin layout would make me never want to get out of the car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've always wanted an early 90s Legend Coupe in white. Those are just really good-looking cars that compete well with modern ones as long as the previous owners too care of them. Unfortunately, they are rare to find in good condition and are worth a lot more than you'd expect for a 25+ year-old Acura.

Right now Autotrader only lists three available in the whole USA... a green 1995 with 83,000 miles with a malfunctioning ABS system for $9000, a brown 1994 that obviously been modified a bit with 127,000 miles for $8,000, and a less than desirable black 1991 with 116,000 miles for $5000.

All of the prices are easily two or three times what KBB says that they are worth.
I know that people (or dealerships) can technically charge whatever they want for their vehicles, but I have always been hard at the KBB value. I'm casually looking at other cars right now, and have been amazed by some of the values that I see. Someone was trying to sell a 2004 Accord in horrid condition (complete with people's names signed on the roof liner) for over 10k...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm strongly interested in the TLX Type S, but will give some time for Acura to work out the bugs. It's not going to be released until next calendar year, so lots of time for me to wait and enjoy my Accord.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
After owning and driving three Accords over the past 25 years, I snatched up one of the remaining 2020 V6 TLXs back in February. The lease incentives made the deal very hard to pass up. $8,700 lease cash + dealer discounts. The ZF 9AT is total garbage... but I have my sweet 3.5 V6 and Honda familiarity feels great. Seats with contrast stitching and piping are awesome. Still under 1,000 miles on the odometer. Ha!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
After owning and driving three Accords over the past 25 years, I snatched up one of the remaining 2020 V6 TLXs back in February. The lease incentives made the deal very hard to pass up. $8,700 lease cash + dealer discounts. The ZF 9AT is total garbage... but I have my sweet 3.5 V6 and Honda familiarity feels great. Seats with contrast stitching and piping are awesome. Still under 1,000 miles on the odometer. Ha!!!
The ZF9 is why I got out of my 2018 TLX A-Spec and bought a manual Accord. The ZF9 is hot garbage and a rare fail for ZF; it is known garbage for each manufacturer it was used in. It's for grannies, not enthusiasts. The Honda 10AT is far superior in all respects.

Reactions: grumpypolecat

·
2020 CBP Touring
711 Posts
Yeah, I can't believe how right Honda got it with the 10AT. It's absolutely fantastic.
The best part is they seem robust so far.

They aren't blowing up and people are pushing stage 2 K-tuners and Hondata through them. I don't think I've heard of one grenading yet. One guy around here or the other forum is running 12's in the 1/4.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts