Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did find this blog entitled Electric Power Steering (EPS) Problems in the Honda Civic and Accord.

Questions to be asked:
  1. There was a TSB software update for the EPS in 2017. Was the OP's VIN included in that TSB and was EPS ever updated?
  2. What/any DTC codes were set?
  3. Honda extended the warranty on certain Honda models for EPS controllers to 100K or 5 years. Is OP's VIN included in that warranty extension?
Thanks for adding some useful information to this post. I have two 2017s and a 2013, all V6 with the 6AT. I did get a notice about the 2013 having the warranty extended on the EPS, but nothing on my 2017s, and Honda has my address. The 2013s I believe were “known” for EPS issues for a number of years prior to the warranty extension.

Im having power steering issues with my 07AccordEx 6 cylinder that started the day after replacing the r front axel. The steering wheel has less power and made some noise. I assumed it was low on fluid so I added SOME. It was just below the FULL mark.
The belt noise stopped after that but there’s been no improvement in steering power.
I certainly hope it doesn’t go out all of a sudden.
I have a 2007 V6 5AT as well. There was a recall on the return (suction) line for the PS pump. It was a simple matter of the O-ring leaking allowing air to be sucked in and mixed with the PS fluid in the reservoir. On mine it was just an obnoxious noise that I “fixed” by wrapping the hose with a rag and repositioning it with a zip tie. Then I let the dealer replace the hose under warranty when it was convenient. For the short time mine was sucking air, there was a reduction in PS assistance.

Maybe the hose got bumped when the belt was replaced after the axel replacement.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
This topic is 9th gen, which all have EPS. Every gen before that is hydraulic power steering.

The known issue is the 2013 problems and the warranty was extended on those vehicles for the DTC error 53. It also applied to the 2014 hybrids as well.

There was an issue with 2017-18 CRV's and Civics and they were recalled. The recall was NHTSA campaign # 18V663000. Honda recall number C2N, P20. It affected 54 vehicles.

The issue was "The magnet that controls the Torque sensor output for the power steering system may become dislodged, causing steering assist to be provided in the opposite direction than that which is needed. Dealers will replace the steering gearbox assembly free of charge to resolve the concern."

Post anything you have showing issues with the 2017 Accord.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
IIRC, my '16 EX CVT Coupe got a software update for the EPS to increase the "residual" power assist available when a fault was detected and tripped the dashboard warning. That was supposed to give the driver some additional steering assist and control to get safely off the road, as soon as possible.

Fortunately, I've never gotten an EPS alert...

21 - 23 of 23 Posts