Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a email from TRS saying they don't have in stock the 35w Morimoto Elite Kit but they do have the 50w with the H11B 5000k bulb.

Should i wait for the 35w to come back in stock or i can go ahead and place the order for the 50w kit? :paranoid:

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a huge debate going on about 50w vs. 35w; as im sure you know. The 50w people claim will deform/haze/glaze your projector/clear plastic due to heat and intensity. Also since the lights are "halogen projectors" the 50w will cause more glare for other drivers and distort the cutoff even further. I dont have 50watts though so I cant tell you.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
No need to use 50W, it's an overkill for general street use given 35W HID already has about 4 times amount of light lumen as compared to the standard 55W halogen bulb.

Glare to on-coming traffic and color washout are two downsides of using grossly overpowered 55W HID for street use.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm gonna try XD and see if they have the 35w kit in stock... but i think TRS is a better quality HID kit with better bulbs too. :headbash:

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
I'm gonna try XD and see if they have the 35w kit in stock... but i think TRS is a better quality HID kit with better bulbs too. :headbash:
Then you are falling for the load of marketing hype TRS is feeding to the general public through their self-proclaimed advertizing, read through this thread www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158769 and keep in mind user Markus is a professional automotive lighting engineer who knows what he is talking about.

There was also another thread here www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81917 on relay harness in terms of why it's not necessary, and why majority of the relay harness on the market today are actually a bad idea, even though the HID aftermarket vendors will have you believe the harness is a good idea. Note the item in discussion is from TRS, but the principle applies to all relay harnesses.

Hope you will see the facts through the smoke screen after reading these two threads.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
go ddmtuning.
There's a bunch of bad reviews about the DDMTuning HID kits...

I didn't realize the purchase of a HID kit would be so damn hard...

·
Registered
32 Posts
more positive than negative but you also look at th price your paying compare to the others... plus lifetime warranty. just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
There's a bunch of bad reviews about the DDMTuning HID kits...

I didn't realize the purchase of a HID kit would be so damn hard...
All I can tell you is that of the 6 sets of DDM Tuning kits I know of over the last 5 years which are used pretty much daily, only one ballast had gone bad, and that was replaced free of charge by DDN Tuning, although you have to pay for both shipping the defective unit there, and the replacement unit back to you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going with the XD 35w Extreme Digital 5000k ...
- Good Reviews in many different forums
- $25.00 OFF (DA coupon) Total price with FREE shipping $129.99

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll make my own review after the installation... stay tuned!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dude that's insane. Who pays that much for hids. I too have installed 9 sets of DDM tuning hid and not had a SINGLE problem with them over the yers. Plus $29.99 is very hard to beat. Their shipping prices are killer though but it is a high quality kit at a very good price.

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
Dude that's insane. Who pays that much for hids. I too have installed 9 sets of DDM tuning hid and not had a SINGLE problem with them over the yers. Plus $29.99 is very hard to beat. Their shipping prices are killer though but it is a high quality kit at a very good price.
I concur. I would never pay over $50 for a HID kit in this day and age.

I am running a 55W 4300K pure white HID kit in my high beams. So much light! I am thinking about stepping it up to 70W just for the heck of it.

Will test it in my factory Sport headlights first before putting it into my Touring headlight.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
70W? Are you prepping for the Paris to Dakar Rally? :D

Note this is not an objection from me, since you are using them in the high beams, which you would never use during normal city/urban driving, unlike the low beams.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Agreed about $130 being WAY overpriced for a plug and play HID kit. At that price point, you're almost halfway there to going with an OEM retrofit instead, where you can use genuine Philips HID bulbs.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
I concur. I would never pay over $50 for a HID kit in this day and age.

I am running a 55W 4300K pure white HID kit in my high beams. So much light! I am thinking about stepping it up to 70W just for the heck of it.

Will test it in my factory Sport headlights first before putting it into my Touring headlight.
Gotta make sure you really light up the parking spaces at the grocery store, eh?

·
Banned
5,774 Posts
Gotta make sure you really light up the parking spaces at the grocery store, eh?
70W? Are you prepping for the Paris to Dakar Rally? :D

Note this is not an objection from me, since you are using them in the high beams, which you would never use during normal city/urban driving, unlike the low beams.
I moved to a remote part of North Carolina and take a lot of unlit back roads.

I just like having the road well lit even if it's overkill.

I am even thinking of installing some eBay LED off road lights being the grill.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm going with the XD 35w Extreme Digital 5000k ...
- Good Reviews in many different forums
- $25.00 OFF (DA coupon) Total price with FREE shipping $129.99

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll make my own review after the installation... stay tuned!
Yuck. I'm running two sets of DDMs for $50 shipped each to my door, and not one problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts