Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving into work today I had the sun in my eyes so I flipped the sun visor from the front position to the side, but the goofy thing felt close to hitting me in the side of the head because it sticks out so much due to the grab handle on the DS. I may try removing it to get a little more clearance for my head.

So why does there need to be a grab handle on the drivers side anyway? I don't ever remember seeing one on any of my other cars, and there have been many. Shouldn't that hand be doing other stuff, like holding the steering wheel? :)

Any opinions?

TomZ

·
EarthDreams
691 Posts
Yeah I think the handle was designed more so for accessibility than anything else. Although I do find myself holding onto it from time to time when my arm needs a good stretch. Doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Until you mentioned it I hadn't even noticed it was there. I think the reason is that Honda makes cars with both right and left hand drive. It's easier for them to design one headliner and support structure for grab handles on both sides than to have to have two designs for left and right hand drive cars. Although I can't understand why the coupe would have grab or assist handles on both sides because I can't find, on Honda's website, that the coupes are sold anywhere except in the US, Canada and Mexico.

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh, yes, I guess it could help someone get out or in if there were certain physical limitations. I have a bad back, so I should actually put the thing to use! :) I just had never seen that on the DS before, seemed kind of weird.

I guess the multiple market idea could be valid as well, although I can't see Honda spending the money to put on a part that didn't need to be there for a particular market. But I suppose if they had to make an additional plastic cover piece to cover the spot on the headliner where it normally would go, then it may just be easier to just include it anyway.

Either way, I think it's coming out on my car. My drive both to work and home has the sun coming in on the DS, and even though I use the sun visor, I still have to shove a piece of paper between the window and the door seal in order to keep from getting blinded. The sun just bugs me when it sneaks in through the sides of my sunglasses.

TomZ

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Either way, I think it's coming out on my car. My drive both to work and home has the sun coming in on the DS, and even though I use the sun visor, I still have to shove a piece of paper between the window and the door seal in order to keep from getting blinded. The sun just bugs me when it sneaks in through the sides of my sunglasses.

TomZ
Don't know whether you are indicating the sun visor isn't not long enough when you have it positioned to the side, but you do know you can pull and extend it from its shaft, don't you. No extension like on old Accords. The whole thing slides aft when you pull it.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
For symmetry, wish they would have kept the symmetry by having dual exhaust the ex-l?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
One headliner for left hand and right hand models. I like it, used it on some long trips to just adjust position on the arm after 5 hours.

Jay

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know whether you are indicating the sun visor isn't not long enough when you have it positioned to the side, but you do know you can pull and extend it from its shaft, don't you. No extension like on old Accords. The whole thing slides aft when you pull it.
Um, nope, I didn't know that, but I'm going to the garage to try it right now. Thanks!

Another silly complaint.:dunno:
It wasn't a complaint, just a question. I guess it would be silly if it were a complaint, though considering it's an additional feature. No problem here, though.

Gotta run and try the sliding sun visor thing!

TomZ

·
'13 Sport CVT white
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang, that does work. Now I feel a little stupid. :yes:
Thanks a lot for the tip. I think that will do the trick with just a slight seat adjustment!

TomZ

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Always glad to help. To me the owners manual is very UNhelpful in many places.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
In the entire 14 years that I have owned my 2000 Accord Coupe I have never used the sun visor extensions. Maybe that's why Honda killed them on their new cars.

Honda conducts owner focus groups, I was on one of them several years ago, and they take our input seriously. On the focus group that I was part of there were several Honda owners who had owned their cars longer, more than ten years, and had more miles than I had at the time. Every one of the people on that focus group told the moderator that they were absolutely in love with their cars and would buy another Honda. The focus group was run by an independent company and the requirement was to be a current owner of a Honda automobile. We were paid $100 for our time.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
In the entire 14 years that I have owned my 2000 Accord Coupe I have never used the sun visor extensions. Maybe that's why Honda killed them on their new cars.
Yes, that is exactly why they did away with them. Please don't stop using your wipers and turn signals, I would hate to lose them too.

Jay

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
BTW my wife's 07 Fit has an assist handle on both sides above the front seats. I always thought the grab handle above the door was designed for the passenger to hold on too when going around a corner at high speed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Speaking of visors does anyone know how the visors are mounted. It seems a bit loose/wobbly compared to our previous car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Driving into work today I had the sun in my eyes so I flipped the sun visor from the front position to the side, but the goofy thing felt close to hitting me in the side of the head because it sticks out so much due to the grab handle on the DS. I may try removing it to get a little more clearance for my head.

So why does there need to be a grab handle on the drivers side anyway? I don't ever remember seeing one on any of my other cars, and there have been many. Shouldn't that hand be doing other stuff, like holding the steering wheel? :)

Any opinions?

TomZ
I'm on the same pg as you, I don't like the handle there, it's rather annoying... Also I let my friend drive today and he too said why there was a handle?? But it's added already guess I'll just adapter and overcome haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts