Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this era when there are so many car brands can be chosen.
It is not easy for driver to choose a car.

Why did you choose to buy Accord in the first place?

I would like to know why everyone chose this car.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Before I got the car / any car... dad’s “suggestion”

After:
Reliable
Comfort (in this price range)
Driver oriented
Relative performance
Fuel efficiency (esp. smaller displacement options)
Not expensive to insure (it also depends on driver I guess)
Safety
Conservative styling / Ageless design
Practicality

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
524 Posts
For me, the thing wasn't about picking a model, it was picking a year! I learned to drive in a Honda Accord, specifically, a 2009 sedan. I'm a very anxious person and I decided that I should buy a model that I already have experience with to be my first car, to make the switch to driving alone more relaxing. Plus, learning to drive in the car was great! Comfy, handles well, good suspension, perfect amount of power. So I looked mainly for 8th gen Accord sedans for that familiarity, but for financial purposes, I had also considered a 7th gen, since we owned a 2005 as well. That's why I joined the forum- to ask about 7th vs 8th gen experiences.
Given my family history of Accords and the way that they've never let us down (besides our 2005's transmission failure and ONE dead battery while out shopping with the 2009), I decided it was definitely the model for me. I picked out my 2010 because it had an extensive and complete service history- one owner who always took this 2010 to the same dealership for service every 6 months, or 6,000 miles, whichever came first.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,883 Posts
Because Honda, especially Accord, has the longest track record (40-something years) of reliability, strength of build, and being fun to drive. Accords also have a huge aftermarket selection
if you're into modding. Their OEM parts are the best.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Had grown up with minibikes and dirt bikes for years and admired their quality and commitment to excellence.

Years ago, I had a friend who was a Harley nut. I mean he ate, slept and breathed Harleys.
I asked him about road bikes and he said, "I love Harleys..I'll always own one...but, just get a Honda. They don't break".
Then as the years went on, and Detroit steel start going through their crap years of the late 70s, 80s...I started buying Asian cars. Haven't really looked back.
Hondas are like the Golden retrievers of the car world. While no dog is perfect, Golden retrievers, perhaps come pretty close...
That's my feeling about Hondas.
I still want my dream car...a '65 GTO convertible, but for now, my Accords fit the bill.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hahaha @2Accordz
That analogy is priceless!!

Most Honda owners put reliability at the top of their priorities. If fun is not a concern to you, then Toyota really fits the bill. I have been turning wrenches for years and my daily will always be a Honda now. I grew up learning how to wrench due to owning GM products of the 90’s and being frugal.

My daily is a 91 Honda that probably at least 5+ teenagers have had their hands on. A POS is being humble to say the least but I daily it.
I do personally think Honda motorcycles are the Toyota of 2 wheels.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hahaha @2Accordz
I do personally think Honda motorcycles are the Toyota of 2 wheels.
Agreed. They are heavier, claim fewer max hp, and sell for a little bit more money than comparable bikes, but they are indestructible. Except they're not ugly. I got my hands on a 1994 Nighthawk 750 a few years back, it was running and riding just like a new bike. While it's almost impossible to find a gixxer that's only a few years old with 20K miles on it that's not thoroughly trashed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
@emeron you are spot on!!
They are harder to work on typically too for the sport bikes. My gsx-R has well over 60k and many hard miles when I was younger; still refuses to give up. Have owned for 16 years and has been wrecked multiple times.

Reactions: emeron

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought it cause I feel its the best bang for the buck, hands down . I also wanted a manual sedan . As you now know they are discontinued . The Accords are getting rave reviews and are just a damn good car period. Also had a 96 Accord many years ago which rusted out before the drivetrain gave up . I love the engineering, ergonomics, build quality and they hold their value

·
MT or death
326 Posts
Had grown up with minibikes and dirt bikes for years and admired their quality and commitment to excellence.

Years ago, I had a friend who was a Harley nut. I mean he ate, slept and breathed Harleys.
I asked him about road bikes and he said, "I love Harleys..I'll always own one...but, just get a Honda. They don't break".
Then as the years went on, and Detroit steel start going through their crap years of the late 70s, 80s...I started buying Asian cars. Haven't really looked back.
Hondas are like the Golden retrievers of the car world. While no dog is perfect, Golden retrievers, perhaps come pretty close...
That's my feeling about Hondas.
I still want my dream car...a '65 GTO convertible, but for now, my Accords fit the bill.
Can confirm... This baby is 43 years young and has zero problems...

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
524 Posts
43 years?! That bike's older than me :LOL: double my age and add 1!
Wowza, it looks great!

·
MT or death
326 Posts
Reactions: Ash051

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Why I chose the accord? Because I was at the Bugatti dealership in Beverly Hills, checking out the wheels, trying to resist the buy one get one half off deal they got goin on, gracefully accepting compliments from the sales manager on my vintage Patek Philippe while sipping bubbly and generally having a mellow Tuesday afternoon when my alarm clock went off.

·
ziptie princess
1,627 Posts
If fun is not a concern to you, then Toyota really fits the bill.
this is kind of a weird take tbh

neither manufacturer's main line of cars are especially fun, but toyota has the 86 and supra, and you can get the corolla/corolla hatch with a stick still

·
Registered
392 Posts
this is kind of a weird take tbh

neither manufacturer's main line of cars are especially fun, but toyota has the 86 and supra, and you can get the corolla/corolla hatch with a stick still
The 4th gen Supra has an engine redesigned by Toyota but originally developed by Yamaha. The most recent gen of Supra is a BMW. Toyota builds reliable and underpowered engines that just last.. The 86 is a Subaru with the slow boxer engine. Different top end design but the V6 Honda engine is a simplified copy single cam of the Acura NSX. Honda has made many high revving motors that push the most hp for displacement. Yes I know, no torque but with high revs can still be fun.

The new Corolla hatch has 169 hp and the Honda Civic hatch Type-R is 300 + hp. Toyota did make some models with superchargers; I will give them that. They still did not surpass Honda’s naturally aspirated engine counterparts.

I’m not knocking Toyota. I still will tell someone who wants the best chance of a vehicle that is dead reliable; get a Toyota. They are also the most maintenance free typically. Should say, resilient to lack of maintenance and still will work almost flawlessly.

Even stating that praise above, I will stick with Honda’s as a daily. Honda’s manual gearboxes are the closest thing to perfection too. One being my CRX which has made it to the 2nd most enjoyable 4 wheeled machine I have owned personally.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The 4th gen Supra has an engine redesigned by Toyota but originally developed by Yamaha. The most recent gen of Supra is a BMW. Toyota builds reliable and underpowered engines that just last.. The 86 is a Subaru with the slow boxer engine. Different top end design but the V6 Honda engine is a simplified copy single cam of the Acura NSX. Honda has made many high revving motors that push the most hp for displacement. Yes I know, no torque but with high revs can still be fun.

The new Corolla hatch has 169 hp and the Honda Civic hatch Type-R is 300 + hp. Toyota did make some models with superchargers; I will give them that. They still did not surpass Honda’s naturally aspirated engine counterparts.

I’m not knocking Toyota. I still will tell someone who wants the best chance of a vehicle that is dead reliable; get a Toyota. They are also the most maintenance free typically. Should say, resilient to lack of maintenance and still will work almost flawlessly.

Even stating that praise above, I will stick with Honda’s as a daily. Honda’s manual gearboxes are the closest thing to perfection too. One being my CRX which has made it to the 2nd most enjoyable 4 wheeled machine I have owned personally.
Yep. Toyota may know better at building luxury vehicles, but to say Toyota as a whole is better at making sporty cars is laughable. Let alone the NSX, how about CTR? How about the RLX Sport Hybrid? How about the God damn S2000? Not even to mention Honda started off as a maker of motorcycles that won many years of racing.... how about them racing bikes. Racing is in Honda’s DNA, not the case with Toyota.

Most capable at making sports cars:
Honda > Toyota

Bigger company:
Toyota > Honda

·
On my second Accord.
2020 Sport 2.0T 6MT Still Night Pearl 5500 km. '07 Accord EX-L I4 Nav 5MT sold.
287 Posts
I bought my 2007 because I couldn't find a better car for the money in that segment, and I needed a car fairly fast and the local dealer had one equipped just as I would have preferred, with a stick, in stock.

I bought my 2020 because it's the last midsize sedan I can buy with a stick, and I got 13 good years out of the 2007 so I wanted another Accord.

·
ziptie princess
1,627 Posts

tbh most of this isn't worth responding to but did you seriously compare the corolla hatch to the type-r?

Racing is in Honda’s DNA, not the case with Toyota.
hey when's the last time honda won in wrc, imsa, the wec, the 24 hrs of le mans, etc?

the brand loyalty some of y'all bozos have is genuinely hilarious

1 - 20 of 26 Posts