Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 606 Posts

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Certain other open threads had me curious. What reasons do other owners have for choosing or not choosing the six cylinder?

I picked mine because of the sleeper performance, the great mileage, the smoothness, and the lovely DRLs.

Also because in all the low speed urban driving I do, manual would've been a daily workout and until the CVT has a good ten years on the market I won't consider it. I didn't like its driving dynamics under acceleration.

·
Mod it or don't drive it
965 Posts
I got the v6 because there is no v8 option. If I want to be slow just to save on gas, I would have gotten the v4.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got a V6 coupe because of the power, Honda reliability, and manual option. I wasn't expecting it to be a performance car, just a better than average DD which it is to me.

Had a turbo 4 cylinder with a CVT prior to the Accord and while it was OK on the highway, it was quite noisy in normal operation while seeming to struggle even with 188hp.

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
I bought the V6 because I wanted a car that made some noise and moved just as well all while being a daily driver with low maintenance and part costs. I compared it to the Lexus IS and G37 when I was on the market and I ended up with an Accord V6. I wish it had RWD and It lacks a bit of power stock, but with the G37 and Lexus IS - I was looking at just over 48,000 with what I wanted. I spent 35,000 on my Accord and dropped about 4,500 in it. I ended up with a far more customized look with my 19" wheels, around 304 HP to the crank, a better sound, a quieter interior, better looking lights (well except maybe the IS - the headlights are probably nicer but the interior and rear lights on my accord are much nicer) all while having low costs for everything.

Finally, you don't look like a dick driving one and its pretty unique. I see maybe two other Accord Coupes a day around here and rarely do I see another V6. When it is not seen too often it looks even more re-freshening then it already is. I bet I would be a millionaire if I got a dollar every time I saw an IS or G37.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a V8 Jeep Commander prior, and no way was I going to settle for anything less than a V6. Less full ups and my mpg is nearly triple the 12.5 I was getting on my jeep. Only thing I miss is sitting a little bit higher, but no harm no foul.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I was stuck between the sport and touring... Two best looking models IMO. Chose the sport simply because it has ample power daily driving and over 10 years I will save more money than my initial initial purchase of the sport over the touring in depreciation, gas, maintenance, and insurance... plus the $10,000 price difference at the purchase. I test drove both cars for an extended period of time and the 4cyl handles much more neutral in corners with almost no understeer in comparison to its V6 counterpart with more than 200lbs less wieght over the front wheels. LDW, FWC, Nav, sunroof, Honda "Pleather" seats and Heated seats are all extra add ons I would never use or enjoy... But others might. If they would have made a sport V6 model as a $1500 option, I probably would have bought that though.

I own cars that go fast beyond what any accord will ever be capable of and wanted to make an economical and pocket friendly purchase. If i didn't own other quick cars that would fulfill my need for speed, I may have purchased the touring or a TL SH-AWD instead. At the end of the day both cars are well built Hondas that will serve each owners needs for many years reliably.

Here is a true ownership cost over 5 years made by Edmunds that does not include purchase price. An Accord EX-L V6 is rated at $49,500 btw...

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
oh and don't forget the visual aesthetics of the DRLs, simply beautiful :naughty:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here is a true ownership cost over 5 years made by Edmunds that does not include purchase price:
Actually not "true". Forecasted or anticipated for sure but it can't be true until the real data is available in 2018.

Also, lmao at the insurance costs

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Actually not "true". Forecasted or anticipated for but it can't be true until the real data is available in 2018.

Also, lmao at the insurance costs
I know right, I have a $500.00 deductible with Gieco and only pay $62.00 a month. How the hell did they get $13,000 over 5 years?

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I know right, I have a $500.00 deductible with Gieco and only pay $62.00 a month. How the hell did they get $13,000 over 5 years?
It's based on a national average. I have no deductible and pay $152/mo full coverage with all modifications covered too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
And Geico doesn't even go for a premium over the V6. It's classified as the EX model in their system. Therefore no difference in premiums between the 4 and 6 - it's one of the supporting factors why I went with the V6.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've had two Accords and am on my 3rd. I've always liked cars but don't have a need for speed like some do. I considered V6 Accords in the past but always thought they were overkill for a small car. Been plenty happy with my first two 4 cylinder models. I like that the engine compartments have lots of space and that the engines are (hopefully) simpler and more reliable with the 4 cylinder.

I briefly considered the V6 this time. I like the idea of the better weight distribution of the 4 cylinder. The smoothness and power of a V6 is tempting though.

This time around I got another 4 cylinder - the hybrid. Mainly because I like the high-tech aspect of it and the baby-Tesla vibe I get from it. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's based on a national average. I have no deductible and pay $152/mo full coverage with all modifications covered too.
Yes, but if it's an average then it means that on average people are paying $225 USD/month in insurance costs.

That's the average so what this is saying is that someone is paying $388/mth (or $23,280/5yrs) to offset Gefex's $62/mth for instance.

Since I pay about the same as Gefex, then there must be someone else also paying $388/mth and so on and so forth.

In other words, "does not compute". :D

·
Honda Tech
146 Posts
I bought a Sport I4 because of cost and look. A couple grand is a big deal to me. If I could go back I would have gotten the 6 speed but I love getting almost 40mpg on my trips. I keep toys on the side for power so practicality was the main thing in my purchase. Payment, fuel, comfortability, if that's even a real word...

Hated the CVT after a month but after an update it is A LOT smoother and I am satisfied.

I had an 09 V6 before this one and I do miss the sound of the V6 but the looks of this gen makes up for it to me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I bought V6 because was coming out of a BMW 330ci 6 speed with the smoothest engine I have ever driven which was both fast & fuel efficient. A new 428i would run me ~ $46-48k. For well under $30k I bought the V6 primarily for..

93 more HP than I-4; 18" 45 series tires, dual exhaust, LED DRLs that look cool and struts to hold up my hood (I despise prop rods); (Also love the safety features including the blind side camera & really like the touch screen radio & I-Mid Info Display)

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
Yes, but if it's an average then it means that on average people are paying $225 USD/month in insurance costs.

That's the average so what this is saying is that someone is paying $388/mth (or $23,280/5yrs) to offset Gefex's $62/mth for instance.

Since I pay about the same as Gefex, then there must be someone else also paying $388/mth and so on and so forth.

LOL, good point. I was just thinking "well if it is an average, that means some ****tard is paying 300+?" that is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I selected the I4 for the economy. I have a V-6 in my Frontier and in the Solara. I don't need another V-6.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts

I didn't make the numbers. There are certain states that require yearly uninsured motorist fees that your insurance pays and if you live in an area with high accident numbers your rates go up. For instance, I own a company ran out of Delaware and each one of my trucks rates more than doubled in cost when I switched to Delaware just because of local fees and accident rates... And I moved from DC! If you have bad credit, points, reckless, or DUI your rates can quadruple in some cases too.

Regardless, on a v6 vs 4cyl comparison it really doesn't make a difference so that is basically irrelevant on this topic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the V6 because I had just sold my challenger SRT8 and hated paying for 13 mpg on premium. After driving my mom's Acura TL V6, I knew I could get a car that was quick enough for me and got great gas mileage. Not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper.

1 - 20 of 606 Posts