Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my first Accord Hybrid, the base model one. I was stumped as to the shark fin antenna as it does not have Nav or XM listed on the sticker. What am I missing?

Jay

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
I'm guessing that antenna is used for AM/FM radio. It might need to be kept as far away from the batteries and electric motor as possible? Maybe it just simplifies production to place the antenna on each vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All of Honda's hybrids have a little extra attachment on their roof antennae because the FM antenna cannot be placed in the window glass like it is on non-electric models. The engine and/or battery creates electrical interference that messes with the radio signals. It looks like they tamed it down from the Civic Hybrid.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I saw my first Accord Hybrid, the base model one. I was stumped as to the shark fin antenna as it does not have Nav or XM listed on the sticker. What am I missing?

Jay
I dunno if Honda has started this change yet or or not but according to a press release from Honda, all Accords (and Civics and most of the Honda lineup in the US) will finally get XM radio as standard equipment starting sometime next year. Its about damn time :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think the XM radio is only standard on the Acuras, next year. It only gets added as an option to more Hondas (namely, all of the Fit-based cars) and probably a few more trim levels of the existing cars.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I think the XM radio is only standard on the Acuras, next year. It only gets added as an option to more Hondas (namely, all of the Fit-based cars) and probably a few more trim levels of the existing cars.
I assume you mean that XM radio will be offered with a 90 day free trial period. I let mine expire and haven't looked back. In my opinion XM is a waste of money. I would rather have HD FM.

·
Banned
72 Posts
I dunno if Honda has started this change yet or or not but according to a press release from Honda, all Accords (and Civics and most of the Honda lineup in the US) will finally get XM radio as standard equipment starting sometime next year. Its about damn time :)
I own a very beat up and dated 2006 so I am a viable and imminent threat to buy a hybrid in 2015. By then, everyone will have heard of this car but until then, it's only for those of us "in the know" This is why I think the 2014 Standard Hybrid is BRAGGING RIGHTS TO ANYONE WHO lives on the BLEEDING EDGE of TECHNOLOGY!!!

I assume you mean that XM radio will be offered with a 90 day free trial period. I let mine expire and haven't looked back. In my opinion XM is a waste of money. I would rather have HD FM.
The antennae can also sub for a WIFI repeater thus allowing you to WIFI while still on wheels should you choose to work that way. I know a guy who lives in an RV cause his job is an at-home remote and so he uses he has installed a WIFI repeater for his mobile internet. He not only never needs to leave his house but he doesn't have to leave his bed either. lol Its a mini one so he can park it anywhere.

So my point is that antennae can be prove useful to someone even if their XM subscription expires. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts