Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local autozone to pick up a "turbo" emblem for my Honda Accord... I'm only kidding//

Anyways, I saw all these CARB exempt legal intakes in there that look just like the Takeda SRI....So please forgive my ignorance, but anyone know why it's illegal??? and is there any way to make it NOT illegal to become CARB exempt too?

·
Registered
115 Posts
California requires anything related to emission has to pass the Emission Laws and has CARB sticker. Basically, every car will have some what different in emission system, so aftermarket companies have to make different design for each car. For example, the intake for gen7 cannot be used on gen 8.

Each time they make a new model they have to register to the board of emission. California got budget cut etc... California does not have money to just go buy a honda accord put the system on and test, so they just delay on the emission test unless the aftermarket companies pay them to speed up the process. You can see intake for g37 might have CARB certificate but not ours, even my old 05 camry still has CARB pending that mean still illegal.

I noticed that you have RV6 J-Pipe that has a catalyst deleted, so it is also illegal in California.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so thanks for opening up and filling me in..you are so smart.

So we can sit and hope that one day Takeda will be legal?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh I just did research on this topic before so I know a little bit. As I look at their website http://www.takedausa.com, I don't see they mention anything about CARB for gen8, so I assume that they don't even bother to register so it is pretty much no luck for us in California. Like I said before, my old 05 camry that has same intake as 04 camry which already needed to do smoke check but does not have CARB yet. http://www.injen.com/docs/other/search.asp?stop=1&Year=2004&MakeID=13&ModelID=18&Eng=L4

IMO, I don't feel/think there will be a lot gain in power when upgrade to SRI or CAI. Also it costs around 200 bucks and illegal.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I don't think I'm going to mod this one..

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
yeah if you get pulled over n they asked you to pop the hood. Ur screwed.. Automatically need to go get the car state Ref.

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
5,667 Posts
If there's a sizable interest for CT Engineering (Comptech-Sport) "Icebox Air Intake System", I'm sure they will fab' up something for the 8th gen' Accord coupe (sedan too). They are 50-state compliant (as-in CARB exempt), and for any/all new products they can/will expedite certification.

I noted on the website they have stuff for the 1st gen' TSX ('04-'08) & 2nd gen' TSX ('09+), past gen' Accords/TLs/CLs, etc.

Just food-for-thought, as CT-Engineering (Comptech-Sport) stuff is great, doesn't void the warranty (depending on the application), and it's like money in the bank (you can sell it later for more-or-less what you got it for).

http://www.ct-engineering.com

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
so thanks for opening up and filling me in..you are so smart.

So we can sit and hope that one day Takeda will be legal?
I doubt they will bother to have it tested, I know I wouldn't. Slap on a disclaimer that it's for "off-road use only" and let the customers who buy them deal with any issues. They know it doesn't cause the car to pollute more, the fuel injection system is so tightly controlled by the ECU, and the stock air intake provides more than enough air flow for stock engines, that it can't. It will start throwing codes first and the ECU will compensate. They just don't want to pay the CA tax and I don't blame them.

Even without a CARB EO number they and their competitors still sell tons of intakes, many of which I'm sure end up on cars in CA.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I doubt they will bother to have it tested, I know I wouldn't. Slap on a disclaimer that it's for "off-road use only" and let the customers who buy them deal with any issues. They know it doesn't cause the car to pollute more, the fuel injection system is so tightly controlled by the ECU, and the stock air intake provides more than enough air flow for stock engines, that it can't. It will start throwing codes first and the ECU will compensate. They just don't want to pay the CA tax and I don't blame them.

Even without a CARB EO number they and their competitors still sell tons of intakes, many of which I'm sure end up on cars in CA.
right, its a big expense to get carb exemption ,they have to recoup the cost some how and if they don't sell a lot its not going to happen .

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Such a crazy state...

Hell, the politicians/blowhards in CA let off more polluting emissions than all the SRI/CAI installs out there could produce .

Financially broke state
High Taxes
Extreme emission standards
Earthquakes
Falling off in the ocean
Water shortages
Mountain lion attacks
Ganja\Chronic (wait, is that a bad attribute? lol)

And I still want to move to north SD, lol. Paradise has it's cost?

Sigh.

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Such a crazy state...

Hell, the politicians/blowhards in CA let off more polluting emissions than all SRI/CAI installs out there could produce. Financially broke state
High Taxes
Extreme emission standards
Earthquakes
Falling off in the ocean
Water shortages
Mountain lion attacks
Ganja\Chronic (wait, is that a bad attribute? lol)

And I still want to move to north SD, lol. Paradise has it's cost?

Sigh.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Yea, they are the leading producers of SMUG

ohh, I'd be interested in CT engineering intakes....I'm sure plenty of people would be....anyone else??

·
Registered
28 Posts
are there any other quality alternatives to the takeda intake? Would someone mind posting a link to one legal in CA?

·
Registered
656 Posts
are there any other quality alternatives to the takeda intake? Would someone mind posting a link to one legal in CA?
I may be moving to CA in December so I'd like to know of another intake as well!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The only one I know of that is street-legal is the AEM CAI for the V6, at least according to their web site. I know none of the K&Ns have a CARB EO number and that the Takeda and Injen for the I4 don't. The law is unnecessary, we're not running carburetors anymore.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Basically; any mods done after the MAF sensor and before the O2 sensors (For our cars; before the 3rd cat, including the 3rd cat) is Illegal.

Unless as stated above; has a carb number; have to go through a bunch of crap in order to make it legal; theres a whole process in making an engine swap legal too

·
Registered
28 Posts
are there currently any CARB exempt SRI's or CAI's out for the i4 lx sedan's? Also, what are the ramifications of getting caught with something that's not carb exempt? Is it just a fix it ticket or do they impound your car or what?

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,639 Posts
Basically; any mods done after the MAF sensor and before the O2 sensors (For our cars; before the 3rd cat, including the 3rd cat) is Illegal.

Unless as stated above; has a carb number; have to go through a bunch of crap in order to make it legal; theres a whole process in making an engine swap legal too
I know my AEM CAI for my v6 has a carb exempt sticker and a carb number...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It is also not just Cali ,there big chunk of northeast that is under same emission rules , basically if you have a PZEV emission Accord you are in a state supporting the tighter emission standards .
The state of Cali has nothing to do with testing a company SRI , thats on the manufacture just like the car manufacture has to go through emission tests .

It looks like there also shooting to have it so manufactures will build only 1 vehicle for all US and of course it needs to be the tighter emission one .

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
I was readin about the Cali Regs in the latest Honda Tuning, I mean its probably for the best with all the people in Cali. But on the other hand, its gotta be killin the Mod community, because when I hear strictly regulated and CARB approved, the first thing that pops into my head is "add another $100 to that". Anyone in Cali that can ease my pain and tell me its not that bad? Or is it truely as bad as it sounds?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts