Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the fluid on my tranny dipstick so high up. I did it while it was operating temperature. The fluid also has a brownish tint to it. Any ideas?

·
Montana, USA
3,894 Posts
Because it's way overfilled? Or you had the engine running when you pulled it out. On Honda's, to check the ATF you turn the engine off, wait 60 (but not more than 90) seconds and pull it out in that 30-second window.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because it's way overfilled? Or you had the engine running when you pulled it out. On Honda's, to check the ATF you turn the engine off, wait 60 (but not more than 90) seconds and pull it out in that 30-second window.
I did that same result, guess its overfilled lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
The fluid also has a brownish tint to it. Any ideas?
View attachment 525089
Looks like it needs to be drained and filled 2 or 3 times. Driving some in between. It looks old. I'd go to Wal-Mart and get 3 one gallon jugs of Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Yeah that's bad news when the trans fluid looks like motor oil

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only use Honda recommended transmission fluids.
Their transmissions are very picky about what fluid is used inside of it.
Simple drain and fill is all that is required.
Typically you will drain out 3 quarts and fill it back up with that amount.
It is encouraged to measure and replace with exactly what you took out.

Drive for a few hundred miles and do it again, do that a few times and you will have exchanged all of the fluid out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
That's about 3 or 4 qts. over. When you go drain it, you'll get a total of 6 to 7 qts, so make sure your pan can contain enough or it'll spill over.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,159 Posts
After the 3x drain and fill, change fluid with Honda DW1 every 30k miles. I learned this from the forum. Got 147k & no tranny issues.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Honda's DW-1 ATF failure is evident by discontinuing all thier transmissions specd for it.
The OPs 7th Gen Accord was originally specd for Honda Z1 ATF. A fluid that's no longer available. I have currently logged over 150k miles on a 2012 5-speed Crosstour that now is at 251k miles. This vehicle was specd for non full synthetic Honda DW-1, and I can say Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF is the reason I've made it this far without changing any transmission parts.

Reactions: KW2004Accord

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
I've never put anything other than Honda's ATF in any of my Hondas...and my 7 gen. has over 210K miles and still shifts smoothly.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Amsoil for my 04 since 130K, now 480K on the orig. trans. Some people use the Valvoline, some use Dex 6 others the DW-1. The important thing is regular changes as any fluid can degrade from the heat cycles or just time. Honda use to say only use Z-1 as it was the correct viscosity. When they released DW-1 it was a different viscosity but now it was OK as a replacement for Z-1. What they are really saying is we want you to buy only our fluids. The Amsoil is way thicker but I speculate that any trans. over 100K is probably pretty worn.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Amsoil for my 04 since 130K, now 480K on the orig. trans. Some people use the Valvoline, some use Dex 6 others the DW-1. The important thing is regular changes as any fluid can degrade from the heat cycles or just time. Honda use to say only use Z-1 as it was the correct viscosity. When they released DW-1 it was a different viscosity but now it was OK as a replacement for Z-1. What they are really saying is we want you to buy only our fluids. The Amsoil is way thicker but I speculate that any trans. over 100K is probably pretty worn.
Dex 6 is interesting. I wonder how the 5-speed behaves on that?

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Z-1 was a Dex 3 with a friction modifier added same as Toyota T-4. Dex 6 was backward compatible & claimed to cover the Z-1 spec., that is why many oil change places used it so they would only have to carry one type of fluid. When I used Castrol brand trans. fluid early on, the shifts were really "sharp" which was a good thing but I personally didn't like it. One member here tried "travelers" brand which stated it covered the Z-1 spec., he couldn't get the trans. to go into gear & had to refill with DW-1.

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
I used DW-1 for 12 years until 275K miles when the torque converter clutch needed rebuilt, with an external B&M cooler. The key is cooling.

For OP, he just needs to change the fluid, anything compatible with BAYA trans, is better than what's in there right now.

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
25 Posts
It's not like honda makes their transmission fluid themselves, any good quality transmission fluid of the correct viscosity should work fine. And at that point, any fluid at all would probably be better than what's in that transmission at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
The oil dip stick for the 7th gen Accord has hash marks and does not have a twist.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I owned a bunch of Hondas. What year is this Honda? I ask because it looks like an oil dip stick in the picture
No it’s the tranny dip stick, I changed the fluid and it was overfilled and dark brown and it was also causing a grinding noise from 3rd to 4th gear which now doesn’t happen. I really should have done a flush but i don’t have the moneys rn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts