Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moisture gets past the rubber boot, causing corrosion on the cylinder wall beyond the main seal, pitting the exposed portion of piston.

This caliper was seized, but seemed to still work. It was very hard to turn, I used a 12" channel lock plier to screw off the piston, after I replaced with remanufactured calipers.

If your caliper is reluctant to screw in or out, the inside is pretty much looking like these.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Eric O mentions using brake grease to prevent moisture from getting in behind the slider pin boots in this video at 13:40, and again at 14:10.

I haven't tried it, but perhaps the same thing could be done to the piston boot.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
I use a small brush and put a layer of CRC brake grease on the boot itself once I press it back in, this repels water off. But do not put on too much grease, because it attracts a ton of dust and sand onto the boot itself instead. Just a light layer.

Get a rear caliper turn-in tool, this makes a world of difference, instead of trying to turn it with a wrench with the wrench slipping.

Attachments

·
Don't drink and drive
5,164 Posts
You live in IL. Ice will get you. Mine was stuck as well but not that rusty on the outside. I rebuilt it with new seals and cleaned and buffed the piston. Worked like a charm. Cost was 5 dollas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts