Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda says new 2023 Accord Hybrid is coming out this month. As in showing up on dealer lots in a week or two. Yet I can't find any real coverage of hybrid performance by independent parties anywhere. I can't find any detailed (youtube) videos that discuss pros and cons on the Accord. Heck I can't even see "real daylight" pictures/video of all body colors. January is almost half over yet Honda "IS NOT" providing test cars for media or gear heads to drive and review.

So what's Honda's game here? Come out with a totally new hybrid model but don't "pump it"?
Don't discuss hybrid battery/motor performance? Don't discuss cabin noise, wind noise, tire noise? Don't discuss 0 to 60 or handling on different roads/surfaces. One has to wonder if Honda senior management is thinking roll out happens January 2024 versus January 2023.

And no wonder (due to lack of Accord PR) many think the Accord line is going in the direction of the Dodo bird in a year or two.

· Registered
2022 accord sport 2.0
56 Posts
Honda says new 2023 Accord Hybrid is coming out this month. As in showing up on dealer lots in a week or two. Yet I can't find any real coverage of hybrid performance by independent parties anywhere. I can't find any detailed (youtube) videos that discuss pros and cons on the Accord. Heck I can't even see "real daylight" pictures/video of all body colors. January is almost half over yet Honda "IS NOT" providing test cars for media or gear heads to drive and review.

So what's Honda's game here? Come out with a totally new hybrid model but don't "pump it"?
Don't discuss hybrid battery/motor performance? Don't discuss cabin noise, wind noise, tire noise? Don't discuss 0 to 60 or handling on different roads/surfaces. One has to wonder if Honda senior management is thinking roll out happens January 2024 versus January 2023.

And no wonder (due to lack of Accord PR) many think the Accord line is going in the direction of the Dodo bird in a year or two.
Patience grasshopper! I’m sure that a lot of reviewers will give you their take when Honda delivers some press cars.😁

· Registered
2021 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring
320 Posts
If you want a general performance ballpark. See the new CRV that uses the same powertrain as the Hybrid Accord. Spoiler alert. It blows chunks compared to the 2.0t 10 speed. That CVT sound is NASTY! It’s also much slower then the 2.0t.

· Registered
2013 Accord Sport CVT
101 Posts
If you want a general performance ballpark. See the new CRV that uses the same powertrain as the Hybrid Accord. Spoiler alert. It blows chunks compared to the 2.0t 10 speed. That CVT sound is NASTY! It’s also much slower then the 2.0t.
Not sure what sound you’re referring to. There’s no CVT on Accord Hybrid model, only 1.5T EX. Accord Hybrid uses eCVT, which is not a mechanical transmission , and cannot omit that annoying whisper sound like mechanical CVT.

It’s also not possible to get Honda rated full power under normal condition, the more sensible number is the electric motor power, Honda keep it hidden at this moment. Under most conditions only electric motor will be driving the wheels, which is why Accord hybrid is reportedly less powerful under higher load than Camry because it’s limited by the motor output, Camry can use both engine and (much smaller) motor to drive wheels simultaneously.
And even the rated system combined power is only 204hp, much less than previous 2.0T model. Certainly Honda is not meant to replace 2.0T with hybrid, they simply removed the high output engine on their lineup and demand customers to pay more for TLX or Insight.
The current TLX even keep that nice double wishbone suspension, which in my opinion is the reason why Accord was better than other mid size family sedan.

· Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,580 Posts
Be patient, it isn't even available yet.

If you can wait, some independent reviews should be out shortly after the model becomes available for sale to the public. If you can't wait, try one out for yourself with an extra long test drive.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,660 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks and I did review article a few days ago. Its some what a detailed, but it doesn't get into the meat and potatoes I'm looking for. So what's the 0 to 60 time on the 2023 Honda Hybrid? Does the car handle curves well at high speeds? Anyone have a cabin sound level reading? Etc. Tired of ready the exact same reviews month in - month out. ZZZZZ

Case in point the Toyota 2023 Prius in Sept,/October 2022 came out with a Hybrid and a PHEW new model. Its not yet in dealer lots, but there's a "TON" of reviews on the Hybrid by talking heads, various websites and of course Toyota itself. You compare what's on the net for the Prius Prime versus the 2023 Accord Hybrid and its really "sad"as far as Honda is concerned.

Yea - built it and they will come. But if you don't publicize it - they will still come but buy some other car, hybrid, phev or EV, that's not a Accord. Hear that Honda.

· 2018 HAH Touring
205 Posts
No way of knowing, but a lesser 11G Accord promo might be that Honda would rather have focus on their bigger selling products. Also, I think they know the hard core Accord admirers will be loud in their disappointment of the dropped 2.0T. But I think Honda is looking at survival.
By only dressing it up limits their cost on the 2023 Accord. The market is about SUVs of all sizes, small cars, trucks, but mostly developing EVs. Not sedans with gas engines that take focus away from electrification.
It's sad, nobody can match what Honda has done with gas. But they have been having a harder time than many, with shortages, inventory etc. And the fact is that the Jp makers are behind in this transition. Maybe it's like when the mighty GM was so quickly shaken by the better built and economical 1980s Hondas and Toyotas.
I think Hybrids are the near term smart choice and I'm surprised that Honda didn't do more to update the Accord hybrid system! to make it stand out from their other offerings. They push hybrid onto more more Accord shoppers but yet offer little new in the system. Unless we get surprised on test drives.

· Registered
225 Posts
No way of knowing, but a lesser 11G Accord promo might be that Honda would rather have focus on their bigger selling products. Also, I think they know the hard core Accord admirers will be loud in their disappointment of the dropped 2.0T. But I think Honda is looking at survival.
By only dressing it up limits their cost on the 2023 Accord. The market is about SUVs of all sizes, small cars, trucks, but mostly developing EVs. Not sedans with gas engines that take focus away from electrification.
It's sad, nobody can match what Honda has done with gas. But they have been having a harder time than many, with shortages, inventory etc. And the fact is that the Jp makers are behind in this transition. Maybe it's like when the mighty GM was so quickly shaken by the better built and economical 1980s Hondas and Toyotas.
I think Hybrids are the near term smart choice and I'm surprised that Honda didn't do more to update the Accord hybrid system! to make it stand out from their other offerings. They push hybrid onto more more Accord shoppers but yet offer little new in the system. Unless we get surprised on test drives.
The problem with this is that outside of the CR-V, the Accord is the best selling product...it outsold the Civic, HRV, Pilot, Odyssey, Ridgeline and the entire Acura lineup last year.

Honda is just half-a**ing tghe Accord and ion like it LOL

· Registered
2020 Honda Accord EXL 2.0
234 Posts
Sorry is this was mentioned above, but I believe I saw a YouTube video where the reviewer was talking about the embargo on the Accord's driving impressions being lifted at the end of January. You can bet when the embargo lifts there will be five thousand videos and stories on the performance of the new Accord.

· Registered
2019 Accord 2.0 Touring
101 Posts
Thanks and I did review article a few days ago. Its some what a detailed, but it doesn't get into the meat and potatoes I'm looking for. So what's the 0 to 60 time on the 2023 Honda Hybrid?
Scroll down to "Specifications". the hybrid is approx. 1.2 seconds slower to 60 mph than the 2.0T
To help you judge, a car travelling at 60 mph goes 89 feet in a second. Whether you still consider this a "performance" car depends on your field of reference.

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Scroll down to "Specifications". the hybrid is approx. 1.2 seconds slower to 60 mph than the 2.0T
To help you judge, a car travelling at 60 mph goes 89 feet in a second. Whether you still consider this a "performance" car depends on your field of reference.

1.2 sec, conservatively. 2.0t Accord has recorded as fast as 5.3s 0-60 by someone on ToV I think.

· Registered
135 Posts
Thanks and I did review article a few days ago. Its some what a detailed, but it doesn't get into the meat and potatoes I'm looking for. So what's the 0 to 60 time on the 2023 Honda Hybrid? Does the car handle curves well at high speeds? Anyone have a cabin sound level reading? Etc. Tired of ready the exact same reviews month in - month out. ZZZZZ

Case in point the Toyota 2023 Prius in Sept,/October 2022 came out with a Hybrid and a PHEW new model. Its not yet in dealer lots, but there's a "TON" of reviews on the Hybrid by talking heads, various websites and of course Toyota itself. You compare what's on the net for the Prius Prime versus the 2023 Accord Hybrid and its really "sad"as far as Honda is concerned.

Yea - built it and they will come. But if you don't publicize it - they will still come but buy some other car, hybrid, phev or EV, that's not a Accord. Hear that Honda.
Quit whining!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts