Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bout it, Bout it
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We replaced the leaking rad in my buddy's 01 4-cyl recently and the tranny has been shifting hard ever since. By hard, I mean the car noticeably jerks when shifting in all gears. It sometimes shifts fine, which is weird. The hard shifting is more apparent when it's hotter out and after extended highway driving.

All the tranny cooler and rad hoses are nice and tight with no leaks. Clamps are fine. ATF is at the proper level and drain/filled with DW-1 last year. The tranny shifted perfectly fine before the rad replacement.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
only thing I can think of is the fluid wasn't topped off to replace the fluid that was lost with the removal of the old radiator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would first make sure you didn't lose a significant amount of fluid. Then, make sure that the fluid is traveling through the cooler lines in the radiator, it could be defective or kinked.
In fact, you could try just routing the cooler lines so they dont run into the radiator all together, may help you diagnose the problem if its a flow/circulation issue.
I actually added a power steering cooler (basically a small tranny cooler) to my tranny lines, and the shift quality is much better; Especially when the car is hot, or been driven a prolonged period of time.
Best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts