Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
V6 9th Gen
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what compelled you to buy 10th gen but not German car.
I used to own 2003 AMG which I sold in 2015 . I got more complements and attention to that used AMG than my new 9th gen.
I do not know if 10th gen accord can provide competition to German. German are making smaller and smaller engine. Most of their small to mid size sedans and suvs except AMGs have equal or lower HP than V6 Accord. And little higher hp than i4 Accord

·
Banned
369 Posts
I'm actually on the fence.

I drove a BMW X5 last month and loved it. Clearly they're different classes of automobile. But for about the price of a new, top-of-the-line Accord, I can get a 2-3 year old X5 that's light years beyond any new Accord.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,062 Posts
Most of their small to mid size sedans and suvs except AMGs have equal or lower HP than V6 Accord. And little higher hp than i4 Accord
And their turd-bos blow.

I had the "honor" to drive a rental BMW X3 with 2.0 turd-bo. Nice interior, but the turd-bo lags so much. You will be an old man when the boost finally comes in, and it bangs your head against the seat. It's not nearly as elegant as the interior or the body.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
I'm actually on the fence.

I drove a BMW X5 last month and loved it. Clearly they're different classes of automobile. But for about the price of a new, top-of-the-line Accord, I can get a 2-3 year old X5 that's light years beyond any new Accord.
{bold added}

.....light years beyond any new Accord? Ah, c'mon man.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Why?

After numerous BMW "Germany" experiences...new vs new BMW/Accords, I'm not willing to pay a $20,000 "Snob Appeal" premium the BMW affords. A used Bimmer? Better be a Certified car, as I'm not willing to pay required maintenance/repair costs when warranty expires. Nor am I interested in Bimmer's used market value after any warranty expires. Having a $60,000 MSRP vehicle list for $13,995 after 4 years and one month, at a non-dealer (non-certified) lot doesn't speak volumes for this makes value holding ability.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had a BMW before my current Accord. $120 for oil changes. I was commuting around 30k miles per year. The car was approaching 50k miles. It was getting hard to start. Took it to our local BMW mechanic. He said most likely the fuel pump. The fuel pump did make a lot of noise. About $1100 for the pump. He also suggested a walnut blast. Because of the turbo system there is a lot of blow-by. The $400 walnut blast is recommended about every 50k miles. I put an oil catch can on to help with the problem. The tires were also warn out . About $300 each for the the run-flats. There is a spare kit for the trunk that allows you to run regular tires. Funny how on the BMW forums they talk about the BMW being the most reliable car, you just have to be willing to spend 2,000 - 5,000 per year in maintenance. Well, I wasn't. The water pump is also a issue with these cars. The plastic parts don't hold up. A friend of mine with a similar car had his go out coming home from Whistler one day. There is another $900 - $1200.

The expense was one thing. What caused me to go back to Honda, was more mental. As much as I loved driving the car, whenever I was commuting, especially on a cold dismal NW day, or in the blistering heat of summer, was WHEN is this car going to leave me stranded. I just could not get that out of my mind.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Currently own 2 Audi's (S5 & Q7)

When I shop for a car, I am not brand loyal.
I shop based on features, ride and comfort and the 18 Accord seems to meet my criteria.
I don't buy a car based on what other may people think about it.
I still like German cars a lot, but this go around my next car is looking like an Accord.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My 535 is 6 1/2 years older than my EX-L and drove better then, and drives better now. It goes better, stops better, rides better and corners better; its seats are more comfortable, the cabin is quieter, the materials are superior. It now has 118K miles compared to 38K on the Accord. I have had very little repair on my BMW, but maintenance is very expensive: virtually everything is at least double, some things even more than that. When it comes time to replace the BMW, it will be a hard choice between a new 2.0 and a 2-3 year old CPO BMW. The new BMW 540 is a dream to drive.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Ah yes, the endless internal conflict for car people; are German cars worth the extra cost? While the law of diminishing marginal returns absolutely applies, the gap can still be significant. Of course that is a function of what each person values most in a car.

For example, if only image and “nice” road manners are important, you can buy a basic BMW 320i Sport for just a few thousand more than an Accord Touring. Good value or not? However, if you want power similar to or slightly better than the 2.0T-10AT or an old 6-6 (that hurts to write), you must turn to a $50,000+ BMW 340.

And if you buy these cars for superior performance, how often can you actually use it? Because of speed limits and traffic constraints, 99% of the time I am forced to drive easily. In addition, in my experience unless you are driving at 80% or more of the car’s potential, you’re not really tapping into what you pay for with German cars. I can almost guarantee that when driving 85 mph on the highway, the difference between an Accord Touring and even a BMW 540 is not that much. Perhaps that is a tribute to how technology has improved all cars.

The 10nth gen Accord seems to have taken advantage of that technological development and closed the gap between it and the entry-level German luxury cars. Great value in my opinion. Of course that does not include the 6MT Accord with it’s low-end, black cloth interior and no seat heaters….had to get that dig in there…it’s somewhat cathartic.

·
HK Moderator
13,625 Posts
I got more complements and attention to that used AMG than my new 9th gen.
I get more compliments in my 1991 Nissan 240sx than I do in my 2005 Accord. I have cousins with 2013s, 2015s, and a 2017. The 2017 Touring gets A LOT of compliments.

Accords are everywhere- everyone owns one, at every stop light look around you and one of your fellow commuters will be driving an Accord. How many AMGs do you see in a day?

As for the never-ending argument for resale: What amazes me is how 8 years later- the used BMW 7 series and used 3 series are selling for the same dollar amount. Why? The 3 series is still the car every kid wants...supply and demand.

But yeah, a ubiquitous car will not get compliments. How many people compliment your Bic ballpoint pen with ink-colored cap?

·
Registered
396 Posts
They do drive better. I'd love to have cross shopped the Accord and GTI or A4, but German cars just aren't designed or built to do high mileage with only routing maintenance. My parents have had two X5's and my dad's is now around 210k miles. Since crossing 100k miles it's pretty much required repairs annually. Lesson learned after a couple years.. don't try to fix every check engine light; only if there is a drivability issue. He wanted to replace it a long time ago but couldn't find anything he liked enough and is now waiting for the 2019 RDX. German cars are also pretty rough in depreciation in comparison to an Accord which is probably one of the best.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
BMW is no longer "the ultimate driving machine".

They're softer than they used to be. They've lost their way with their design (BMW interiors from about 1997-2006 were the best in the industry) They Have that stupid engine start/stop. It's hard to find one with a manual and they USED to be all about the manuals. Hell until the early 90s you could get a stick on a 7 series!!!

And of course they're a money pit after the warranty is up. I knew someone who owned a '94 325i. Great handling car. Great looking. At 90,000 miles still rock solid and had that sweet BMW balance of tight but smooth handling where you could feel every knook and cranny in the road but not harsh or hard.

His water pump went, like someone mentioned earlier. $1300 bucks for a freaking water pump.

·
HK Moderator
13,625 Posts
Holy Heck I just realized I don't own a 10th Gen and have no bidness in this thread......

The question, Raymond, is WHY DID YOU BUY A 10th GEN?

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,944 Posts
They're softer than they used to be. They've lost their way with their design (BMW interiors from about 1997-2006 were the best in the industry) They Have that stupid engine start/stop. It's hard to find one with a manual and they USED to be all about the manuals. Hell until the early 90s you could get a stick on a 7 series!!!

$1300 bucks for a freaking water pump.
Butbutbut... GERMAN ENGINEERING!!! :notworthy

I can ride in my friends' fancy "rich people" cars without feeling the need to buy one for myself; that's enough excitement for me. I don't need the excitement of $100+ oil changes and all the other "perks" you get with them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My 535 is 6 1/2 years older than my EX-L and drove better then, and drives better now. It goes better, stops better, rides better and corners better; its seats are more comfortable, the cabin is quieter, the materials are superior. It now has 118K miles compared to 38K on the Accord. I have had very little repair on my BMW, but maintenance is very expensive: virtually everything is at least double, some things even more than that. When it comes time to replace the BMW, it will be a hard choice between a new 2.0 and a 2-3 year old CPO BMW. The new BMW 540 is a dream to drive.
If the BMW is bullet proof but cost twice to maintain, why would you not run it into the ground?

It's probably worth less than a 1.5T Touring if you trade it in or is it holding its value? Many used car buyers are wary of buying anything German because of the perceived lower reliability and much more expensive maintenance.

That four wheel steering is really an interesting technology, if coupled with XDrive. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had a 2003 VW GTI 1.8T and 2006 Audi A4 2.0t. After the all the repairs never again. I wish I could go back, but now with a young kids I don't want to be stranded or handed a 1k repair bill.

Currently my 2003 civic just keeps going and going. Got a 2015 CRV, now looking at the accord as the civic replacement eventually. I would love to have another turbo car, the torque is addicting.

Reliability became a priority for me.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 159 Posts