Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Alan, I was not implying that German pilots and tank commanders NEVER had any victories. I know they did. I was just commenting on how sheer numbers of slightly less "perfect" devices can overwhelm the "pretty" ones. Glad your ex Father in Law managed to evade. (y)
Me too. Lunches at his place were fantastic (Montréal Bourgeoisie meets French cuisine).

That said, the reasons the Joimans lost had little to do with their equipment. The 109 was very reliable, the 190 wasn't bad at all. It had to do with the nut behind the steering wheel. A strategic numbskull of great proportions. (Stalingrad tying down armies for no strategic purpose, for example - (instead of pushing south to the oil fields - the real objective), not to mention delaying pushing into Russia in the first place until late fall when nobody had winter clothing, etc.).

Glad he was stupid and drug addled and especially that he took advice from Goering when Goering wasn't trying to get young pilots to spend the weekend with him "strategizing". Glad he was sleeping and everyone was petrified of waking him when D-Day finally got its wheels on the beach... etc.

Note also the Germans had few heavy bombers, in number (v. B-17, Lancaster, Halifax, etc.). If Germany had had such prior to the BoBritain (before the yanks showed up) history as we know it would be very different ... ;-).

(I should mention that my father spent some time with Adolf Galland in the late 70's/early 80's ... If you have a chance to read "The First and the Last" it's a fine read. Indeed I'll hit one of my copies again soon. (Somehow I suspect you have read it)).

Ironic follow up. Today a supplier called to tell me that an order was ready. I texted my SO and asked her if she could pick it up on the way home

In the tradition of "No good deed goes unpunished" she was rear ended near the supplier.

Porche Cayenne, naturally. I rest my case.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Alan, I hope your SO was not injured. I used to say that VW drivers were the worst on the road. By extension, I suppose that applies to Porche drivers too, since Porche is owned by the VW Group.

And, I agree that British and American pilots and tank crews WERE superior to the Natzi's overall. But, of course the Luftwaffe had a few exceptional ones. I also think Allied Intelligence, primarily from SOE was a major factor.

- Jack

·
Past Doritos Spinner
4,062 Posts
Ironic follow up. Today a supplier called to tell me that an order was ready. I texted my SO and asked her if she could pick it up on the way home

In the tradition of "No good deed goes unpunished" she was rear ended near the supplier.

Porche Cayenne, naturally. I rest my case.
I hope she is okay and wish a speedy recovery.

Porsche is supposedly not terrible when it comes to reliability unless you buy one with the IMS. Everything still comes with a premium, and value-wise they are still not that great, like when you compare the "bang for the buck" of 718 to a ND2 Miata or a C7 Corvette.

Alan, I hope your SO was not injured. I used to say that VW drivers were the worst on the road. By extension, I suppose that applies to Porche drivers too, since Porche is owned by the VW Group.
The old joke goes: what's the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?

The porcupine has the pricks on the outside.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Corvalis TTX
5,565 Posts

And, I agree that British and American pilots and tank crews WERE superior to the Natzi's overall. But, of course the Luftwaffe had a few exceptional ones. I also think Allied Intelligence, primarily from SOE was a major factor.

- Jack
Well I'm currently driving a VW and I drive my Porsche in the summer. Am I a bad driver?

I hope she is okay and wish a speedy recovery.

Porsche is supposedly not terrible when it comes to reliability unless you buy one with the IMS. Everything still comes with a premium, and value-wise they are still not that great, like when you compare the "bang for the buck" of 718 to a ND2 Miata or a C7 Corvette.

The old joke goes: what's the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?

The porcupine has the pricks on the outside.
I've had more issues with my Accords than I've had with VW/Audi/Porsche.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Markus, I won't pretend to know how well you drive. I once owned a VW Beetle and I think I'm a good driver. The only issue I've had with any Accord was when a packrat chewed through a wire in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
^Everyone I know who have had VW's, Audi's, Benzes have had all had bizarre problems and recurring problems and mostly expensive problems. But they keep going back for more punishment.

No, minor bumper damage. But she might have a major injury after she consults her lawyer[1].

Here in Quebec VW drivers seem to think they have special rights on the road. Passing on the right and forcing a left squeeze when they catch up to the slowest car on the right and the faster stream on the left is one of their very irritating habits. So is tailing you a couple metres off even if it's clear there is another car in front of you and there is no way to pass.

[1] Just a joke. Hard "no fault" province here...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My previous car was a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Limited Edition 2.5L. I did not buy another German car (particularly VW/Audi) for a list of reasons:
  • Interior materials quality has dropped for VW. The leatherette is more plastic feeling, dashboards are hard plastic now, trim pieces are poorly fitted, etc. At least, this is what I've observed from my family and friends' VWs.
  • VW/Audi direct injection has serious carbon buildup issues and they no longer make any naturally aspirated cars like my old 2.5L.
  • The GTI, Audis, MB, and BMW all require premium gas.
  • Poor resale performance.

·
2.0T
41 Posts
I considered getting into either a GTI, A4 or a BMW 3 series before I bought my Accord. They are really nice cares but as many folks have stated, issues popping up and the cost of maintenance was a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Traded in 2013 Audi A6 3.0 liter for 2020 Touring Accord 2.0. Maintenance costs of German cars are high. $800 for back brakes ( replace rotors and pads at same time, Audi requirement). About $1100 to replace fronts which were soon to be needed - car had 85k on it. 10k service intervals are expensive. Everything I did was through the dealership as there were not many Indy's in my area doing Audis. I have to say this was the best car I have owned/driven. I moved so my commute doubled making cost of ownership for the Audi pretty high compared to a Honda Accord. Add in premium vs regular gas and gas mileage difference ( 25% better on the Accord) I had to make this change. This is my 4th accord - 1st was a new 1978. They have not disappointed me. I also owned a 2003 Acura TL-S. 2nd best car I have owned. Audi fit and finish is better than the Honda but having said that Honda is pretty good. Audi handling was excellent. But cost difference to purchase and maintain between the 2 cars great. I think the saying is you have to pay to play.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
  • VW/Audi direct injection has serious carbon buildup issues and they no longer make any naturally aspirated cars like my old 2.5L.
We've yet to see how the DI Accord's will do on buildup - not enough cars have reached that point - least of all amongst the membership here. I threw on a catch can, but I'm not yet convinced.

Good news is I was speaking to a mechanic and he says they now have a liquid product to suck into the intake while running at 2000 RPM. It cleans the intake valves "perfectly". He didn't say what it costs. No more need for a complicated and expensive walnut shell blasting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
7 years of DI is not enough time? I think many Accords have reached that point. You just don't hear about them because there is no problem.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
7 years of DI is not enough time? I think many Accords have reached that point. You just don't hear about them because there is no problem.
I was under the impression that 2018 (for Accord) was the first year. Sheesh! Did I buy a catch can for nothing? Probably.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was under the impression that 2018 (for Accord) was the first year. Sheesh! Did I buy a catch can for nothing? Probably.
The 9th Generation Accord 2.4L I4, which was introduced in the 2013 model year, also had direct injection. In addition, some versions of the V6, e.g. the one in the 2017+ Ridgeline, have DI. The 10th gen Accord is the first Accord to have both turbo and DI. Don't know if other Honda/Acura models had that combination earlier.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have driven exclusively German the past 20years. Honda has come a long way since then. This car feels German in every good way. It's solid, handles, steering is tight, interior quality is beautiful. I am more and more impressed with it everyday. If no one told you it wasn't German you wouldn't know. The thing it doesn't have that the German cars do, much higher cost of maintenance.

We've yet to see how the DI Accord's will do on buildup - not enough cars have reached that point - least of all amongst the membership here. I threw on a catch can, but I'm not yet convinced.

Good news is I was speaking to a mechanic and he says they now have a liquid product to suck into the intake while running at 2000 RPM. It cleans the intake valves "perfectly". He didn't say what it costs. No more need for a complicated and expensive walnut shell blasting.
No product like this will actually work for a direct injection vehicle. The only way to clean the valves if they are dirty is to scrape them. This is a problem with all direct injection vehicles, not just VW. It's inherent to how the system operates. This is why the new VW EA888 engine has two sets of injectors, one for high pressure system and one for low. Your catch can will do nothing to prevent this and is pretty much a gimmick.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
No product like this will actually work for a direct injection vehicle.
The mechanic I was speaking with claimed this a) was a recent product and b) works (there is nothing deposit wise left after the process). To make that clearer: Before process: build up; after process: build up is gone. So I'm not sure where your powers of deduction for it not "actually work" come from.

Secondly, as to catch cans:

I: Winter version: (I installed it in early December) every 700- 800 km I am pulling out about 80 ml of liquid from the catch can. A good portion of that seems quite "thin" and volatile (though it won't ignite). That portion would probably be no issue. Another smaller portion is thicker. That could be an issue for build up on the intake valves.

II: And then there's the "summer" version of the story where the catch can liquid is not as clear/liquid as described above. A darker thicker mess from what I've seen in other cars though it may accumulate less rapidly than the winter "blend". That thicker stuff would likely be an issue for the intake valves.

Since the DI Accord does not have a port injection (as some Ford's and Toyota's and probably other cars), there is nothing to "wash" the intake valve at all.

Time will tell. I won't be afraid to say it was not a good spend.

I'm also looking to get a "borescope" of the cheap recent kind (really a tiny camera and light on a long stiff-ish cable) so I can inspect the intake valves in a few years to see if there is any buildup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The mechanic I was speaking with claimed this a) was a recent product and b) works (there is nothing deposit wise left after the process). To make that clearer: Before process: build up; after process: build up is gone. So I'm not sure where your powers of deduction for it not "actually work" come from.

Secondly, as to catch cans:

I: Winter version: (I installed it in early December) every 700- 800 km I am pulling out about 80 ml of liquid from the catch can. A good portion of that seems quite "thin" and volatile (though it won't ignite). That portion would probably be no issue. Another smaller portion is thicker. That could be an issue for build up on the intake valves.

II: And then there's the "summer" version of the story where the catch can liquid is not as clear/liquid as described above. A darker thicker mess from what I've seen in other cars though it may accumulate less rapidly than the winter "blend". That thicker stuff would likely be an issue for the intake valves.

Since the DI Accord does not have a port injection (as some Ford's and Toyota's and probably other cars), there is nothing to "wash" the intake valve at all.

Time will tell. I won't be afraid to say it was not a good spend.

I'm also looking to get a "borescope" of the cheap recent kind (really a tiny camera and light on a long stiff-ish cable) so I can inspect the intake valves in a few years to see if there is any buildup.
There is another post about this cleaner i just replied to in a different section. My powers of deduction come from 12 years of working on DI engines and using all these products. CRC, Seafoam, Liquid Moly ect all make this type of product. If you truly believe that any product will spotlessly clean your valves like that I have some magic beans you would be interested in.
As far as the catch can I'm very well aware of what comes out of them. The only thing they are good for is making money for the companies that sell them based on that exact marketing bs. DUDE! Look what came out of this thing wow! Engines are designed to burn that stuff off all day long. Most well designed engines already have oil separators built into the crankcase. These companies spend millions on R and D. This catchcan fad started years ago in the VW community.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
There is another post about this cleaner i just replied to in a different section. My powers of deduction come from 12 years of working on DI en
But you don't know what product it is he's talking about since it is new, nor have you used it, so you simply don't know.

Got it.

As to catch cans I'm more than willing to be proven wrong. Time will tell.

·
Registered
126 Posts
But you don't know what product it is he's talking about since it is new, nor have you used it, so you simply don't know.

Got it.

As to catch cans I'm more than willing to be proven wrong. Time will tell.
Your right I'm not sure of the product. That being said I highly doubt someone invented an entirely new type of solvent but I could be wrong.

Time has already told.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Your right I'm not sure of the product. That being said I highly doubt someone invented an entirely new type of solvent but I could be wrong.
Chemists have to make a living too. That said, I'd want to know what the product is and what its combustion by products are. Effect on valve seating? Cat? etc.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts