Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '03 accord LX and the wimpy 51R battery went dead on me. I'm doing the group 35 (6 cyl) conversion and just wondering if the old negative ground cable will work? I'm going to do it the right way and order the 6 cyl battery box, ground cable and hold downs. However, I pulled out the plastic box that was in there for now because if you set the battery directly on the metal plate, it fits and the ground cable reaches also. Again, I'm going to do it right, I just need to get by until my parts arrive. Will the wimpy little ground that is on there now for the 51R battery damage any electrical components until the new stuff comes. Just want to make sure before I hook it up. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will not harm anything by using the existing ground cable. Attach the positive first and then the negative. Be sure to have the security code for your radio before disconnecting the old battery.

I'm curious whether Honda actually used a heavier gauge cable for the V6 ground. I agree the stock cable on the 4 cylinder looks pretty light.

When I need to replace my own battery I will do as you are planning. Fortunately I garage my car and don't typically have to start the car in freezing conditions.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
No, no damage with the thinner cable. You should be fine as the thicker (lower gauge) negative cable Honda sells can handle more amps- but the 4 cylinder negative ground cable will do fine with your new 600 amp battery until you get the newer cable. I think Honda charged me $12 for the thicker cable.

By the way:

1) You do not need the black plastic battery cover nor do you need the black plastic battery tray- they are purely cosmetic.

2) You are not limited to the group 35 battery....as a matter of fact, almost 15 different batteries will fit there with little to no modifications. A 24F will fit right onto your metal battery shelf and the existing metal bracket and tie rods also will work. That group size usually comes in 650-800 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). It does weigh about 12 pounds more than a 51R, though.

3) Every auto parts store out there sells a thicker negative battery ground cable in various lengths from $4 - $12. You don't "need" to get the one from Honda.

FYI: Here is a list of battery group sizes with their dimensions...
http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts