Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
How Long Until Carbon Buildup?

Does anyone with technical knowledge have an educated guess on how long these new turbo vtecs will last before suffering from carbon buildup? I got a 2.0T Sport 10AT last week and it's my first Direct Injected vehicle. From my understanding, it's inevitable for all direct injected motors, especially DI turbos, to get carbon buildup on the valves and lose fuel efficiency and power until eventually, the engine becomes basically undrivable. I know the valves can be cleaned but it's not something your average Joe would take on themselves and shops charge upwards of 1k to perform this service. From doing some research it seems Toyota and Ford have found an effective but costly solution to the carbon buildup issue by putting 2 injectors, 1 port and 1 direct, into every cylinder so you get the best of both worlds. I was hoping Honda had followed suit with these new motors but it turns out they didn't and the 2.0T has one direct injector per cylinder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Mazdaspeeed3 had the same setup with DI. I beat the daylights out of that car, Big turbo, Full bolt ons ran e85+Meth for Parts of her journey and never had an issue. When I traded the car for the Accord she had 74k on it and it was fully bolted from 1200 and big turbo (GTX3076) around 5k.
If it is of concer (only time will tell) you can always run seafoam which helps bit, install a catch can to assist with some of the recirc or install Meth but that is only a maintenance solution not a fix solution. Only time will tell on how bad it will get but I haven't noticed much build up after recirc yet which is usually a good indicator on whats going through.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
it's inevitable for all direct injected motors, especially DI turbos, to get carbon buildup on the valves and lose fuel efficiency and power until eventually, the engine becomes basically undrivable.
To some degree, I think your statement is valid but the questions are to what degree and does it merit worry. An added port injector would have certainly minimized build up but consider how many cars today have DI and turbos but no port injector. How many horror stories do you hear? With regard to the need for walnut blasting, I would cross that bridge if you need to. And if the engine needs it someday, its not the end of the world.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 2011 GTI was DI. I had ~75k on it before I had the valves cleaned and that was only because the car was in for a factory covered intake manifold change and the dealership only charged me 1 hr labor to do it. It did make a difference for sure, much more snappy throttle response at all RPMs.
The build up happens so gradual that it's hardly ever noticed. i've seen pics of valves completely caked in carbon and some, (like mine), were not bad at all. Too many variables like fuel quality, driving style etc to really determine when it's time.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,737 Posts
I thought it wasn't a problem with Honda's DI implementation from doing some valve overlap something or other.

·
Banned
14,456 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to chime in here since we've had a good amount of experience catching blow-by, specifically on Honda's 1.5T and 2.0T platforms.

For starters, the amount of blow-by that makes its way through the system is dependent on a few things, such as your climate, ambient temps, driving style and just how well you take care of your engine.

We ran a catch can setup on a Civic 1.5T, as well as our Type R and in both cases we were able to capture between 5-10ml of blow-by in our 1000 mile test cycle. We captured 8ml alone during our last track day with the CTR. While the PCV system on these new EarthDreams engines are doing a great job at preventing oil and fuel from caking your intake components with carbon, much better than some of the other manufacturers currently, there's still a bit that sneaks through. We are currently running a prototype kit on a 2018 2.0T Accord sport, which I'll be posting about once we finish up our initial testing!

-Nick

·
8th Gen Believer
5,557 Posts

·
port & polish everything
1,963 Posts
lol gross, I guess I am keeping my old car forever

·
port & polish everything
1,963 Posts
That's not really relevant to me, my valves were spotless at 60K miles.

·
Enthusiast
129 Posts
Any Oil Catch Cans?

Hey Guys,

Anyone know if someone sells Oil Catch Cans for our 2.0T cars yet? I know with D.I the eventual carbon buildup is a real problem, looking to mitigate that.

Thanks

·
Banned
14,456 Posts
Hey Guys,

Anyone know if someone sells Oil Catch Cans for our 2.0T cars yet? I know with D.I the eventual carbon buildup is a real problem, looking to mitigate that.

Thanks
Are you saying that the Honda 2.0 Turbo motor has a carbon buildup problem? Do you have any sources to cite?

·
Enthusiast
129 Posts
Are you saying that the Honda 2.0 Turbo motor has a carbon buildup problem? Do you have any sources to cite?
Every D.I motor from every manufacturer has a carbon problem.

Without port fuel injection, oil gets caked on the back of the intake valves.

·
Banned
14,456 Posts
Every D.I motor from every manufacturer has a carbon problem.

Without port fuel injection, oil gets caked on the back of the intake valves.
Again, I ask you to please cite your source.

How many Accords with 2.0 Turbo engines are in for repair with this alleged carbon problem? Is Honda recommending walnut blasting every 50,000 miles like the older VW engines? Are these oil catch cans going to be an option like black wheels?

Reactions: BuickNut

·
Registered
17 Posts
How many Accords with 2.0 Turbo engines are in for repair with this alleged carbon problem? Is Honda recommending walnut blasting every 50,000 miles like the older VW engines? Are these oil catch cans going to be an option like black wheels?
I don't get it it sounds like youre bashing all preventative maintenance. Even if the accord doesnt have this problem, sure he wasted the money. But if it does and we dont know about it yet, wont he be the smart one? i also cant see any harm in an air oil separator or heard of any engine that deteriorated because of having one installed

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.