Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
CD5 to CR2
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First of all, I just want to apologize as I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to modding. I did some searching but I couldn't find anything specific on resonators for our cars (I have a Sport CVT). I recently installed the Takeda axle back and while I do love the sound it produces, the mild drone/vibration around the 2-2.5k rpm range is getting a bit annoying. Should this be expected with aftermarket exhausts? This is my first one so I'm not exactly an expert. Maybe I'm just getting old?

My question is, will installing an aftermarket resonator help reduce/remove this drone? And if so, which one should I be looking at? I've heard Vibrant is a good brand, I just don't know which model is best for our 9th.

I'm this close to selling this exhaust and throwing the stock one back on. But I do love the looks and sound of the Takeda and I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to reduce the cabin vibrations.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I've read other opinions on other forums but I was just wondering if anyone had some first hand knowledge.

Thanks,
-Dilla

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't bother. Just a personal opinion and maybe I'm getting old too, but no resonator or anything else will fix this Takeda BS. I installed a Takeda catback on a 2012 V6 coupe and the drone makes my ears bleed, lol. After testing various as well as multiple resonators nothing fixes the drone problem... Even sound damping like Dynomat in the trunk and cabin won't fix it.

I resolved it installing an ATLP Quad-Tip Performance Exhaust System, now it's sweet as hell.. Luck with it...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't bother. Just a personal opinion and maybe I'm getting old too, but no resonator or anything else will fix this Takeda BS. I installed a Takeda catback on a 2012 V6 coupe and the drone makes my ears bleed, lol. After testing various as well as multiple resonators nothing fixes the drone problem... Even sound damping like Dynomat in the trunk and cabin won't fix it.

I resolved it installing an ATLP Quad-Tip Performance Exhaust System, now it's sweet as hell.. Luck with it...
I also see in your sig that you have a magnaflow resonator as well. So did it drone or rasp before you installed it? Why did you need it?

·
CD5 to CR2
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I was afraid of this... I guess I'll be getting rid of the Takeda :frown
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also see in your sig that you have a magnaflow resonator as well. So did it drone or rasp before you installed it? Why did you need it?
I installed the Magnaflow as suggested by ATLP to reduce sound level in the cabin not to fix any drone issues. The same resonator didn't accomplish Squat on the Takeda.

·
Modifier
181 Posts
I am running the Takeda Cat back with PCDs and J-pipe. The drone was quite loud prior to installing 2 Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet Resonators in place of the one in the Takeda mid-pipe. It is now pretty quiet but with a little bite when I get on it. 2 Vibrants in-line in place of the stock resonator should do very nicely for your I4.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I installed the Magnaflow as suggested by ATLP to reduce sound level in the cabin not to fix any drone issues. The same resonator didn't accomplish Squat on the Takeda.
Did it in fact reduce the sound in the cabin? Was the exhaust too loud or did it get louder after you installed the other exhaust pieces? I'm looking into getting this exhaust, but only a catback for now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did it in fact reduce the sound in the cabin? Was the exhaust too loud or did it get louder after you installed the other exhaust pieces? I'm looking into getting this exhaust, but only a catback for now.
Don't understand the question (other exhaust pieces?)... After spending weeks trying to resolve the drone problem with Takeda, I installed the ATLP with the Magnaflow resonator, I didn't bother to test the ATLP without the resonator as cabin comfort was my priority.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't understand the question (other exhaust pieces?)... After spending weeks trying to resolve the drone problem with Takeda, I installed the ATLP with the Magnaflow resonator, I didn't bother to test the ATLP without the resonator as cabin comfort was my priority.
Sorry, should have said without J pipe and resonator. So you had atlp install the resonator for you and you installed the J pipe at the same time?

·
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )
1,216 Posts
so to bring this thread back to life, i had 2 vibrant resonators installed yesterday.
i have a 14 sport with rv6 pcd, ktuner and takeda intake and takeda dual axle back exhaust installed.
prior to install, while the car was idling, the deep sound from the exhaust was fantastic but as soon as i was in the range of 2200-3200 rpm's, the drone was intense as was the rasp.
i guess i was just accustomed to the sound.
a few weeks back, i decided that i wanted to try the 2 vibrant resonators.
i am very happy to report that the drone is gone, there is zero rasp and i still have the nice deep sound of the exhaust. all the noise is outside the car!
i took a video with my phone but the quality is crap. you have to take my word that it sounds perfect now.
in hindsight, i would have passed on the takeda exhaust and stuck with the dual stock exhaust. this route has been expensive but i love it now!!!
hope that helps anyone on the fence with staying with the stock exhaust or purchasing an aftermarket brand.
enjoy the weekend.

thank you ETCoupe14 for the great price on the resonators!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
so to bring this thread back to life, i had 2 vibrant resonators installed yesterday.
i have a 14 sport with rv6 pcd, ktuner and takeda intake and takeda dual axle back exhaust installed.
prior to install, while the car was idling, the deep sound from the exhaust was fantastic but as soon as i was in the range of 2200-3200 rpm's, the drone was intense as was the rasp.
i guess i was just accustomed to the sound.
a few weeks back, i decided that i wanted to try the 2 vibrant resonators.
i am very happy to report that the drone is gone, there is zero rasp and i still have the nice deep sound of the exhaust. all the noise is outside the car!
i took a video with my phone but the quality is crap. you have to take my word that it sounds perfect now.
in hindsight, i would have passed on the takeda exhaust and stuck with the dual stock exhaust. this route has been expensive but i love it now!!!
hope that helps anyone on the fence with staying with the stock exhaust or purchasing an aftermarket brand.
enjoy the weekend.

thank you ETCoupe14 for the great price on the resonators!!!

so what is your exhaust setup now? i got confused

·
CD5 to CR2
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for this update! Would you say the drone is "completely", "mostly" or "somewhat" gone? Could you link me to the specific resonators you purchased? I'd hate to get the wrong ones. Also, where were they placed on the mid pipe? (back to back, staggered) I'm assuming the stock one was removed.

I'm considering this route but I don't know if my pockets agree. I'm on the fence as I really do love the tone, but the drone is unbearable. I apologize for all the questions. Thanks again!

·
2.5th gear
306 Posts
i have the same 2 resonator with PCD RV6 Downpipe who was doing a lot of Rasp. im happy to know it does reduce sound from a takeda catback exhaust. maybe i should buy that for my Sport 2014 for sound. or maybe not ..
does it change anything in performance?

·
Modifier
181 Posts
The drone and rasp are gone. It reduces the sound some but I haven't seen any reduction in acceleration. :)

·
CD5 to CR2
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Purchased the resonators recommended by djkev21 and had them installed today.

I'll have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with the result. The only thing that really bugged me about this exhaust was cruising speeds on the highway (70-80 mph). It droned like crazy and made my ears bleed. But now, it is much more muted and it's a lot more pleasant in the cabin. I would say about 80% of the drone is gone. It pretty much sounds the same and still gets loud when you open it up around 3k rpm. But when you're light on the throttle, it's much more subdued and that's exactly what I wanted.

I'm not exactly sure I would recommend this as this was a bit of a pricey route. But if you already have the Takeda and plan on sticking with it, then I say go for it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts