Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have read every thread regarding intakes, and I put on a SRI the very day I brought home my auto i4 EX. So, needless to say I forgot how it felt stock.... If I put my stock intake back on without the resinator, will I get off the line punch, ie: at least squeak the tires? :) :dunno: Can anyone with a 4cyl auto help me? I love the sound, and there is obvious high RPM help with the set up I have now, but I need my off idle power.

thanks

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
OK I have read every thread regarding intakes, and I put on a SRI the very day I brought home my auto i4 EX. So, needless to say I forgot how it felt stock.... If I put my stock intake back on without the resinator, will I get off the line punch, ie: at least squeak the tires? :) :dunno: Can anyone with a 4cyl auto help me? I love the sound, and there is obvious high RPM help with the set up I have now, but I need my off idle power.

thanks
You bought a large, fairly heavy, low torque, auto equipped car with a 4 cylinder. It isn't fast. With that said, it isn't really that slow. I have no problem getting up to speed from stoplights, at on-ramps, etc., just don't be afraid to rev it over 3k RPM. I drove mine for two years before putting on my CAI and I noticed no difference other than sound.

If you want to hear the tires squeal and are still riding on the stock Michelins, take any kind of sharp turn (turning into a parking lot from the street) at anything above a slow speed and they'll sound like they're screaming for their life.

EDIT: If you want to try to spin them from a stop you're best bet is to put the front tires in some water, lightly hold the brake, and push that right pedal to the floor. You can try this at your local drag strip. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
No idea... have no trouble squealing my tires though!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get the fact it is not fast, I have had fast cars, however, I just wanted to know if my intake moved the tq from low to higher rpm range. The tires squealing was joke. I figured if others can get a little rubber from a dead stop, then I know the answer to my ? I do take mine way past 3000 rpms and enjoy the sounds and the little extra umph when it gets to 5K.

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
I get the fact it is not fast, I have had fast cars, however, I just wanted to know if my intake moved the tq from low to higher rpm range. The tires squealing was joke. I figured if others can get a little rubber from a dead stop, then I know the answer to my ? I do take mine way past 3000 rpms and enjoy the sounds and the little extra umph when it gets to 5K.
I don't know about I4 but I have tough time "squealing" from a dead stop with my V6. So, I wouldn't be surprised if I4 has tough time doing it. But, anyhow, it's not worth wearing out your tires fast doing that.

As far as I know, CAI doesn't do much performance wise. It's mainly for sound. So I wouldn't worry about it if you like the sound.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I doubt if there is any real world difference. With my CAI I can't tell any difference other than sound. On other cars with SRIs and CAIs I've never noticed any difference when that is the only mod.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've noticed with some of my other cars that an intake did in fact move the tq, and seemed to make the cars bog from standing start... But the Honda has zero torque anyway, so maybe it is what it is??

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
I had my I4 about a month before I put on the Takeda SRI. I didn’t notice any take away from the low end when I put the intake on, maybe even just the tiniest bit more (which could obviously be the placebo effect) Regardless it didn’t take away enough for me to notice. I just don’t think the car really has much low end to begin with.

With that being said I found the sprintbooster helped. Meaning it gave me the impression that the car had much less lag. I know the SB is a controversial topic, however I would not remove mine if you paid me even knowing what the thing “actually” does.

Readers Digest version: the lack of low end is not caused by the SRI/CAI

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had my I4 about a month before I put on the Takeda SRI. I didn’t notice any take away from the low end when I put the intake on, maybe even just the tiniest bit more (which could obviously be the placebo effect) Regardless it didn’t take away enough for me to notice. I just don’t think the car really has much low end to begin with.

With that being said I found the sprintbooster helped. Meaning it gave me the impression that the car had much less lag. I know the SB is a controversial topic, however I would not remove mine if you paid me even knowing what the thing “actually” does.

Readers Digest version: the lack of low end is not caused by the SRI/CAI
that is exactly what I was afraid of... I will leave on the intake, and I have never heard of anything negative about the Sprintbooster, in fact after pulleys that is next mod!

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
that is exactly what I was afraid of... I will leave on the intake, and I have never heard of anything negative about the Sprintbooster, in fact after pulleys that is next mod!

HAHA, you and I are backwards then. I get my pulleys installed this Thursday!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HAHA, you and I are backwards then. I get my pulleys installed this Thursday!
so you would suggest the Sprintbooster 1st? Overall is it worth it??

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
so you would suggest the Sprintbooster 1st? Overall is it worth it??
Well since I havnt installed the pulleys yet it’s hard to say. But I would do the pulleys first. They have the REAL HP gain. I didn’t know about the pulleys or they werent out yet when I bought the SB. But yea I love my SB also….

·
Brake, Turn and POWER
401 Posts
It's hard to spin the tires, the ECU doesn't allow full throttle under 20 miles (I think) Haven't tried spinning the tires. so i don't know

·
Shift_ STILL Not A Honda
318 Posts
just don't be afraid to rev it over 3k RPM.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
That's hilarious. Not sure why... It just is. Honda 4 cyls should easily be able to go as high up 5grand without any issues. The s2000 motor doesnt redline till 9grand. And the Si motor redlines at 8grand. Dont be affraid to push that pedal to the floor. You wont hurt it! :thmsup:

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
That's hilarious. Not sure why... It just is. Honda 4 cyls should easily be able to go as high up 5grand without any issues. The s2000 motor doesnt redline till 9grand. And the Si motor redlines at 8grand. Dont be affraid to push that pedal to the floor. You wont hurt it! :thmsup:
I've seen more than a few posts here about people complaining that their I4 is so slow (not the OP) and then they say they try to keep it under 3k RPMs to improve gas mileage. I get much better mileage when I keep the revs down, but it's boring. I'm over 3k RPM a lot. It's a Honda 4 banger, it's meant to rev, all the power is on the high end. Same concept as all the inline street bikes, no torque down low, tons of power up high. Run it to that 15k RPM redline, that's what it's built for. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've seen more than a few posts here about people complaining that their I4 is so slow (not the OP) and then they say they try to keep it under 3k RPMs to improve gas mileage. I get much better mileage when I keep the revs down, but it's boring. I'm over 3k RPM a lot. It's a Honda 4 banger, it's meant to rev, all the power is on the high end. Same concept as all the inline street bikes, no torque down low, tons of power up high. Run it to that 15k RPM redline, that's what it's built for. :D
no doubt! I am always using the whole power band! To hell with MPG, the 4cyl just fit my budget at the time, and if I could have found a manual, I could live with it easier :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts