Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2021 Accords now have wireless CarPlay. Do you think we can get this on our cars with a software update?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now that the 8 Inch infotainment system is standard on LX, do you think I could upgrade my base 2020 hybrids infotainment system to the 8 inch infotainment?

·
Registered
2020 Accord Touring 2.0
8 Posts
I doubt it will happen, but I really hope getting wireless CarPlay is just a software update. If not, I’d like to find out what it would take to add the feature to my 2020 (replace the head unit with a 2021 version, etc.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm a computer engineer, so maybe my experience will be a little insightful on this topic. From my understanding, wireless CarPlay requires a least a Bluetooth and Wi-Fi chip (in the car and obviously the phone) to be able to send the video and audio from the phone to the head unit. (Bluetooth is likely much too slow for more than establishing a close range connection, called a "handshake".) Secondly, you need a powerful enough system to decode and display the video and audio with reasonable speed and responsiveness.

My EX-L's head unit definitely has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (though I've heard the base model may not). And because the head unit runs a reasonably modern version of Android OS, and does so very responsively, I would venture to say that the processing speed is probably adequate by a large margin.

So I think any 10th gen built before MY2021 with the Android head unit DOES have everything it needs to support wireless CarPlay. Couple that with the fact that, unlike older head units, this system is much more easily updated (thanks to Android OS), and assuming that the 2021 head unit is unchanged from a hardware standpoint, then we're looking at a semi-decent chance that Honda actually adds this feature in a future update.

Here's a link from Apple about what hardware is needed to support wireless CarPlay (starts on slide 40).

·
Registered
2019 Accord Hybrid EX
5 Posts

So I think any 10th gen built before MY2021 with the Android head unit DOES have everything it needs to support wireless CarPlay. Couple that with the fact that, unlike older head units, this system is much more easily updated (thanks to Android OS), and assuming that the 2021 head unit is unchanged from a hardware standpoint, then we're looking at a semi-decent chance that Honda actually adds this feature in a future update.

While you've made some excellent points about the capabilities of the head unit and it's likely that the head units are basically the same, it's a bit charitable to suggest that Honda is willing to actually provide any of these features to previous MY owners. Specifically I would say this about wireless CarPlay, which they've intentionally excluded from the 2021 LX, base hybrid, and sport options, even though it seems like this is the same head unit we have in our 18-20 Sport/EX/L/Touring models. This seems like a way for them to add to the list of features separating the base trims from the upper models without actually doing much. And they can justify it by saying that the only models receiving it will have wireless charging and this makes it make sense.

There are other features I would love to see Honda pass down to previous models, and I honestly think there's little reason not to do so. CarPlay navigation in the gauge cluster is a big one for me, as this could very easily be added in a software update and performance requirements would be nil. Also, if whatever improvement they've made to the hybrid system isn't battery or hardware based, then that, too, should be made available either through OTA updates or a dealership ECU update. And whatever was done to the hybrid braking system to relieve wear on brakes, and also the LKAS and cruise control, assuming none of the hardware has changed.

With this years release, Honda said they were putting an emphasis on hybrids as their sustainable vehicle (vs fully electric vehicles). It would be nice if they updated previous vehicles, especially ones that aren't even old enough to have passed the factory warranty period. Someone in the market for an Accord Touring could instead look at a Model 3 with the knowledge that Tesla will actually provide updates and improve the experience in their car continually, and Honda may or may not.

The only recent situation I can think of was when 2015 Hondas, Accord included, received CarPlay support through a software update after Honda had been using owners to beta test it. That's not necessarily an analogous comparison, and Honda hasn't made any promises for our vehicles like they appear to have done for this previous situation, but if they have this same mentality now then it is possible we get some of these updates, assuming there's no hardware limitation in place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
While you've made some excellent points about the capabilities of the head unit and it's likely that the head units are basically the same, it's a bit charitable to suggest that Honda is willing to actually provide any of these features to previous MY owners.
I agree with you that from a business perspective, it may not be Honda's intention to update our head units with this feature. It's also a good example that they might be cherry-picking certain trims to have wireless CarPlay enabled. Still, I would not rule it out, especially because Tesla is setting a new precedent on vehicles software updates. Having sat in countless meetings with business people in product development, "keeping up with the Jones'" is not just for neighbors.

Likely? No. But it's OK to keep your fingers crossed on this one, IMHO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I doubt it will happen, but I really hope getting wireless CarPlay is just a software update. If not, I’d like to find out what it would take to add the feature to my 2020 (replace the head unit with a 2021 version, etc.)
Check out CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay

·
Registered
763 Posts
Don't hold your breath on there being any official upgrade from Honda.

A few years back someone posted a very credible story about how Honda had prepared a software update that would bring CarPlay and Android Auto to 2013-2015 Accords. It was, test, vetted, ready to roll, but then the plug was pulled for some silly reason - like they thought people would be mad that they'd have to pay the dealer for an hour service appointment or something.

It's just not the norm in the industry to provide upgrades for existing vehicles, unless you're Tesla.

Now, an unofficial upgrade? Likely. Several 9th generation owners of 2013-2015 models have installed 2016-2017 head units. They fit. But they do require a lot of wiring adaptions. I never could fully figure it out, but others did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Over the air updates and Honda Sensing driver assist functions.

I believe I read that the new 2021 model year Accords had updated and improved Honda Sensing driver assistive technologies. Specifically adaptive cruise and lane keep assist. Its says it will maintain better lane centering and smoother braking when following another vehicle. My question is are these improvements some thing that Honda could push out to previous model years via the over the air updates? Or can they only update infortainment type improvements to the head unit?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Over the air updates and Honda Sensing driver assist functions.

I believe I read that the new 2021 model year Accords had updated and improved Honda Sensing driver assistive technologies. Specifically adaptive cruise and lane keep assist. Its says it will maintain better lane centering and smoother braking when following another vehicle. My question is are these improvements some thing that Honda could push out to previous model years via the over the air updates? Or can they only update infortainment type improvements to the head unit?
To date, OTA updates in Honda and Acura models capable of such are ONLY for the audio-navigation system - not for the powertrain, safety and driver assistance features, etc. like they are in some models such as those made by Tesla and some upcoming models by Ford, GM, and others.

Furthermore, neither Honda nor Acura has ever added any functionality to an audio-navigation system that the vehicle didn't roll off the assembly line with. The closest exception I can think of is when Android Auto support was added to the 2019 RDX, but Acura promised all along that AA support would be coming later via a software update.

On the flip side, there have been instances where software updates actually removed features. I recall an update to the first-generation Ridgeline where the male voice option was removed to make room for additional map data on the map DVD. Another example closer to home was software update 18AA-1863-001 for the Accord that removed the speed limit sign from the navigation system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for the clarification. I didn't figure it had that capability, but wasn't sure. I do remember 1 software update pushed out to my 2019 EXL, but I either don't remember or didn't read what it did.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Isn't wired CarPlay going to be more reliable than wireless anyway? I thought BMW had problems with their wireless system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts