Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up DA!

I've seen so many great build threads on here - stanced, race cars, cool daily drivers, all of it - and I've really enjoyed checking each of them out and seeing what's possible with our cars. That said, I'm ready to contribute to the fun. So, I give you - my 2009 Accord EX 4-Door!

Picture quality is not that great, but you get the idea. Looks like your garden variety Accord, but it DOES have one ace up its sleeve...

Yep, that sold me on it. 5MTs are not easy to come by in sedan form, so I was sold.

The purpose of this build is going to be simple: OEM+. For those of you unfamiliar with this idea, click here to see some examples of what I'm talking about - it's very popular in the Euro community and has been gaining ground in Japanese cars in recent years. I won't be going as low, or as wild, but basically - cool daily driver with some go-fast parts that'll enable me to have some fun while not breaking the bank or crying when I hit a New England pothole and break one of my 20" rims.

Planned Mods:
  • 19mm TL Sway Bar & Moog End Links.
  • Lowering springs, possibly coilovers if I can stay high enough off the ground. I'm open to suggestions!
  • 18" or 19" OEM Honda or Acura wheels. I'm considering the Genesis wheels as well (are you there, Antonovich?!).
  • 2012 V6 facelift (bumper, grille, fog lights, etc.). Possibly a lip as well.
  • Inspire rear garnish w/rear fog lights.
  • Upgraded rotors and pads, for beaucoup stopping power.
  • Short shifter and weighted shift knob.
  • 9th gen-style decklid spoiler or roof spoiler, but probably not both.
  • Cold air intake & tune (again, open to suggestions - I have NO idea what I want yet!).
  • Clutch upgrade - something street-friendly yet firm and crisp (also, my original factory clutch has 151k on it, so yeah, sooner than later!).
  • Interior Illumination and a heated seat install (aftermarket kit, OEM switches).
...and then drive it until the wheels fall off, or until I can swing the monthly payment on an Infiniti. :cool:

More on this story as it develops! Stay tuned! :wave:

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So last week I did the 19mm sway bar and end links. Mind you, I didn't actually WANT to do the end links, but as so many of you have said on here, the hex part of the bolt rots and makes it impossible to reuse them. SO, new end links.

Here's the new bar:

Old end links, trolling my first attempt at an installation:

So, I went inside, called a couple stores, ordered my Moogs, and called it a day.

Fast forward to like 6 days later, and the old end links are out! Man were they flimsy compared to the new ones:

Out came the bar. It turned out I picked a great time to install the new one, as it had some rust bubbles from under the paint:

Nice improvement in size over the original too.

Getting it all bolted back up:

And for those of you wondering about clearance, here's a few shots of that:

So, the end result on handling? I actually have no idea. That's because, whoever owned the car before I did had the wheels off and whoever put them back on messed up three of the wheel studs, one of them badly enough that I couldn't even spin the lug back on! So, I've bought new studs and will replace them soon, and THEN I'll test it out once the snow has melted. But I will say, it looks sweet and there's no clanking when I go around corners and over bumps at low speed, so fitment issues are non-existent.

·
The Keyless-Wonder
554 Posts
I'm totally diggin' the "thumbs up" pictures! LOL!

Your kind of mods sounds a lot like my kind of mods... :thmsup:

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Catfisha - from the looks of your coupe, I'd say that's a true story! I love the color - that blue is hot. If I had half a mind to paint my 4-door it'd probably end up being that color, because it pops!

·
The Keyless-Wonder
554 Posts
Thanks Catfisha - from the looks of your coupe, I'd say that's a true story! I love the color - that blue is hot. If I had half a mind to paint my 4-door it'd probably end up being that color, because it pops!
I kinda lucked out on the Still Night Pearl... I wanted another black car even if it wasn't another Nighthawk Black Pearl... This one was the only used V6 on the lot despite the advertised 2012 V6 Coupe that was online...a bait car, I tell you!! LOL

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda lucked out on the Still Night Pearl... I wanted another black car even if it wasn't another Nighthawk Black Pearl... This one was the only used V6 on the lot despite the advertised 2012 V6 Coupe that was online...a bait car, I tell you!! LOL
Well you could've gotten baited to a lot worse things! My friend has a '13 6-6, MAN is that thing fun. Way too fun. He's already done a big cross-country trip with it!

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

I got the new wheel studs installed, and I tested the handling on a couple killer corners - MAN does it handle now! I do need some new tires (I'll wait until I get my new wheels for that) but I'm very impressed at the reduction in body roll and the increase in smoothness without a detrimental effect in ride quality!

Next up: either brakes (rotors and pads) or wheels and tires. Stay tuned!

·
The Keyless-Wonder
554 Posts
UPDATE:

I got the new wheel studs installed, and I tested the handling on a couple killer corners - MAN does it handle now! I do need some new tires (I'll wait until I get my new wheels for that) but I'm very impressed at the reduction in body roll and the increase in smoothness without a detrimental effect in ride quality!

Next up: either brakes (rotors and pads) or wheels and tires. Stay tuned!
I'll have to save up for some fancy sway bars!

I had some sexy slotted rotors that I liked; they were StopTech with Akebono pads! And despite what some people say, you CAN get them turned if you find someone that'll do it.

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to save up for some fancy sway bars!

I had some sexy slotted rotors that I liked; they were StopTech with Akebono pads! And despite what some people say, you CAN get them turned if you find someone that'll do it.
Dude, you will LOVE them. A stiffer rear tends to induce a bit of oversteer (if you car's pretty neutral already), so it really leveled out the performance of mine!

I've heard great things about StopTech, and know NOTHING about Akebono. I only know that my dad runs Baer Decelas and Hawk pads on his '08 Acura TL, and he loves those - he commutes long distances and often with less-than-stable driving conditions he need quick, non-fading stopping power. His have stood the test of time, so I may go with those - but I'll definitely take a look at the StopTechs too.

When you say get the rotors turned, what do you mean? Like, re-machined?

·
The Keyless-Wonder
554 Posts
Dude, you will LOVE them. A stiffer rear tends to induce a bit of oversteer (if you car's pretty neutral already), so it really leveled out the performance of mine!

I've heard great things about StopTech, and know NOTHING about Akebono. I only know that my dad runs Baer Decelas and Hawk pads on his '08 Acura TL, and he loves those - he commutes long distances and often with less-than-stable driving conditions he need quick, non-fading stopping power. His have stood the test of time, so I may go with those - but I'll definitely take a look at the StopTechs too.

When you say get the rotors turned, what do you mean? Like, re-machined?
Yes, when I put new pads on...

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
8th Gen Believer
3,816 Posts
If you really want another amazing mod, get a FSB !! My $.02

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*UPDATE*

So I still have the car, and am still loving the RSB - I'm kind of up in the air on what to do next. I'm going to be moving to LA in about a month and a half and when I'm out there, I may want to get something a little more canyon oriented (read: I'm saving up for a Mustang). So if that were the case, this car would be relegated to DD duty and never really see a canyon road; whereas if it's my only car, I'll probably go further with it. Any natives to the City of Angels want to weigh in on this?

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*UPDATED UPDATE*

So LA is still happening, but it got moved out about 6 months so I have some time to save up for moving expenses. I did settle on some wheels though! BIGREDD is building a DOPE Turbo 8th gen and he used a set of 19" Acura MDX wheels on stock suspension...it looks sweet. Here are pics!

Sexy, and VERY OEM, which is exactly the look I'm going for! So, as I save up money, I'll be putting aside $$ for that and some tires. To be continued!

PS: Go read the whole thread. BIGREDD's work is incredibly thorough, and is an example to live by in terms of fit, finish, and build quality.

·
pessimistic optimist
1,013 Posts
When you get the MDX wheels mounted I gotta see some pics! I'm dying to get some MDX wheels like those but they are NOT CHEAP, never mind the cost of decent quality 19" tires. A picture of an Alabaster Silver with the wheels is just the push I will need, mine is an 08 manual trans BTW. I would suggest retrofitting the headlights as your next mod, for about 400 dollars worth of parts and a weekend of your time you can improve the lighting of your car by 100%

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you get the MDX wheels mounted I gotta see some pics! I'm dying to get some MDX wheels like those but they are NOT CHEAP, never mind the cost of decent quality 19" tires. A picture of an Alabaster Silver with the wheels is just the push I will need, mine is an 08 manual trans BTW. I would suggest retrofitting the headlights as your next mod, for about 400 dollars worth of parts and a weekend of your time you can improve the lighting of your car by 100%
19" tires are not cheap, I spent right around 1k on tires for my mdx wheels, Plus mounting/ balancing and whatever you pay for the wheels.

BTW: my car is on HFP springs/struts not factory sedan stuff.

·
pessimistic optimist
1,013 Posts
^^ I thought it looked a little lower than stock, wasn't sure if it was just the big wheels or not. Yours sits the way I want mine to sit, no "dead cat zone" at all...

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
19" tires are not cheap, I spent right around 1k on tires for my mdx wheels, Plus mounting/ balancing and whatever you pay for the wheels.

BTW: my car is on HFP springs/struts not factory sedan stuff.
Thanks for the correction - I remember seeing somewhere in your thread that it was all OEM suspension...that makes more sense. And I figured the wheels weren't going to be a cheap date - I've seen 'em refurbished around $229/ea, plus tires - I plan on running something like a Continental Extreme Contact DW, at least in that same vein. (EDIT: I just ran the numbers, the wheels are on eBay (refurb'd, probably), and with tires, TPMS, center caps, and XCDWs in 245/40R19, I'm looking at about $2,000 even for everything.)

Were the HFP spring/strut combo you installed designed for the V6 sedan? If so, did that impact the fit/finish/ride quality?

·
'09 EX 4DR 5MT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll definitely post those up! I'm in the middle of changing careers so it'll be a little bit before I can afford said purchase...lol but I absolutely will. That's awesome that you have basically the same car as mine - it's an awesome ride, super underrated! Have you had yours long?

And re: your headlight mod, are you talking about a projector retrofit? Because that's definitely on my list. Did you do yours? What did you end up using for parts? (Edit: just saw you used Morimotos, I just learned how to read. lol)

PS: Lol @ your "dead cat zone" comment :lmao:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts