Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 2.0 Sport. I purchased a heated steering wheel accessory and finally got around to installing it over the holiday. To me it was not a ‘minor’ change. Installed 2 wiring harnesses, control unit, relay. Replaced cable reel, steering wheel and removed the drivers airbag during the work. $288 for the kit and several hours work. I’m convinced I followed the 20+ pages of instructions very accurately but when done, what do I have? This thing is tepid at best. Warms up slightly, maybe like room temperature of a desk surface. So it is slightly noticeable if the temp outside is 45 or below but warm??? Far from it I think. I am very disappointed after the $ and work, and especially since I am sure the installation is correct. What is your impression of your heated steering wheels (factory installed or added later)? Do they get really ‘warm’? Thanks

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
Reactions: jkd77433 and enne

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,846 Posts
It only gets warm, but for me I find that it's a good enough range (cycles between 84-93 deg F, or 29-34 deg C). Parts of the wheel are warmer than others, typically at the 9&3 position. Note: I took readings using an inexpensive IR thermometer, so it may be off by about plus/minus 2%.
Is it possible you've got your hands on the wrong part of the steering wheel?

·
BriGuy5
196 Posts
2018 2.0 Sport. I purchased a heated steering wheel accessory and finally got around to installing it over the holiday. To me it was not a ‘minor’ change. Installed 2 wiring harnesses, control unit, relay. Replaced cable reel, steering wheel and removed the drivers airbag during the work. $288 for the kit and several hours work. I’m convinced I followed the 20+ pages of instructions very accurately but when done, what do I have? This thing is tepid at best. Warms up slightly, maybe like room temperature of a desk surface. So it is slightly noticeable if the temp outside is 45 or below but warm??? Far from it I think. I am very disappointed after the $ and work, and especially since I am sure the installation is correct. What is your impression of your heated steering wheels (factory installed or added later)? Do they get really ‘warm’? Thanks
It is better than no heated steering wheel. But I agree, at first I was a bit disappointed with how warm it got. My previous car actually got hot to the touch, it felt great, but would shut off after about 10 mins. I noticed the Honda wheel gets warm, but stays warm, and doesn't turn off. I also feel the more I use it, the warmer it feels, so not sure if there is a break in period (I know how ridiculous that sounds). I installed mine on 1/1. I still enjoy it nonetheless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I went to the dealer and had them check the lack of heat and they called the tech line to speak to....whoever it is on the other end of that line??? They said that because my steering wheel is an accessory it is designed for reduced power and therefore reduced heat. I had compared my 18 Odyssey with a factory heated wheel to my Accord accessory wheel and they said that because the heated wheel in my Accord shares a fuse panel location for all installed accessories it has to run at reduced power so it does not get overloaded. They called my Odyssey wheel a ‘100 degree wheel’ and my Accord accessory wheel an ‘80 degree wheel’. I call it misrepresentation! I put a good chunk of change into that expecting it to be like the Odyssey and nowhere is there mention that it will just be a little warm. I just want anyone who gets a heated wheel as an after purchase installation to know that it will not be very hot at all and nobody at Honda will tell you that up front!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a heated steering wheel put in at the dealership. I think I want to go back to the original wheel by doing it myself this time. My question is, would I need to do anything else beside installing the original one in?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I installed mine about 2 months ago sport 2.0t and it gets very warm. I read that some people it didn't get warm but honestly it gets warm to the point where I have to turn it off because of how hot it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts