Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as to why my Honda dealer wants $350 to tint my accord sport but other local shops charge $100 or less what's special about the dealer doing it vs a car shop.... Should I pay the extra $250 or save it

·
Registered
481 Posts
My dealer has a local tint place do their tint but charge 100 dollars more then you going in there to the tint shop yourself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically you're saying what I'm thinking... I'm paying more for no other reason than the dealers overhead cost... Quality of work and window tint will be the same

·
Registered
481 Posts
Pretty much. I dont know of any dealer out here anyway that has tint professionals working there... they probably either A. Have someone independent person come to the dealer and do it or B. Take it to a tint shop..... ask the dealer what film they use and then call around to tint shops and see what they offer. I paid 100 bucks for my tint on a groupon special., I usually go to the tint shop my dealer uses but didnt want to pay 200..

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm just curious as to why my Honda dealer wants $350 to tint my accord sport but other local shops charge $100 or less what's special about the dealer doing it vs a car shop
Same reason dealers charge $200+ for FN mudguards...b/c many buyers pay it, no questions asked.

In my case, I just asked the dealer who they use, and went straight to them for a much lower price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Damn! I got mine free today at the Honda Dealer, I got my car 3 days ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Free!?! God, I opted for the Touring Edition and I couldn't get mats or a tint out of them! San Diego/So. Calif. are meccas for tint jobs; can anyone recommend one in particular?

·
Registered
199 Posts
free? It will cost me about $250 to get mine tinted here in the midwest and we are only allowed 50% tint by law.

·
@milmast
1,166 Posts
The quality of the shop and their attention to detail, the quality of the tint, and the warranty that comes with the tint all affect the price of the tint. I would rather pay someone a bit more for something better, than getting the cheapest option just to say I have it.
Just keep that in mind when you are getting your tint. Do your homework too :)

·
Acoustics BSEE
1,695 Posts

·
1-Etoe
46 Posts
I did paid the dealer about $300.00 and the only reason I did it, because of the life time warranty.

I could have done it locally, but what are the chances for the dealer to go out of business vs. a local small shop?

I am picking up my car in about an hour. I did pay only $60 more dlls for the tint guy to do my front windows.
I doing 5% in the back and 50% in the 2 front windows. I was going to do the 4-6" on the windshield, but I am gonna wait. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

They also installed splash guards.
2016 Sport. 500 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tint brand used

In my previous car, I paid $350.00 dollars for tint and I'm glad that I did. I picked Suntek CPX tint, which had good heat refraction and protected the interior very well. I'm glad I chose the more expensive film because my summer trips to AZ and NV were comfortable because the car cooled easily and I didn't burn my arm or face while driving. Also the color didn't fade or develop a purple hue. Any thoughts on 3M Crystalline? I'm looking to stay cool in my car this summer. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I paid $700.00 for a professional tint job using the best 3M tint film there is which is the crystalline. I know there are cheaper alternatives but, I wanted something of quality on my new car. Of course I could have done a $250.00 job but you get what you pay for.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
I paid $700.00 for a professional tint job using the best 3M tint film there is which is the crystalline. I know there are cheaper alternatives but, I wanted something of quality on my new car. Of course I could have done a $250.00 job but you get what you pay for.
There two components to any tint work, the material and the workmanship.

Is the 3M Crystalline that much better (and much more costly) and the shop's work worthwhile for the $700 total cost? If you are satisfied then that's all good.

I had a local shop install Pinnacle Formula One ceramic tint film on my car for cdn$400 a couple of years ago, this was probably 20% more than the going rate at typical local shops, however this shop had the reputation of being the best so I accepted the premium cost.

Perhaps the $700 is indicative of your location? Pasadena in L.A. can't be inexpensive as a general rule?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was quoted $700.00 as well for Crystalline. I wonder if the performance is comparable? I was relieved when I visited AZ and NV over the summer when I was in my previous car with the Suntek CPX tint. The interior was comfortable compared to the outside temps...

Any insight on comparing the two? Summer out here can hit 105+

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was quoted $700.00 as well for Crystalline. I wonder if the performance is comparable? I was relieved when I visited AZ and NV over the summer when I was in my previous car with the Suntek CPX tint. The interior was comfortable compared to the outside temps...

Any insight on comparing the two? Summer out here can hit 105+
I paid $330 for crystalline. I do like the protection of the film but need to take back due to purple hue. It is strange because film was put on just over a month ago. Lifetime warranty not to fade to purple. Hopefully I received a bad roll.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a side note, any work done by a dealership will have a markup! Always take whatever needs done to either a reputable mechanic or if it's something that you can do yourself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts