Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chip on my Accord touring today while on the highway. Can I repair this with the windshield kits or go to safelite company for repair.

Or does this require replacement?

I don’t like the idea of changing the windshield simply due to the fact that some don’t take pride in their workmanship and I’m afraid of further damage. (I’ve had two bad experiences at dealerships)
And the fact that it won’t be like factory.

·
Turbocharged
938 Posts
The rainx repair kit from walmart will do wonders for chips like that if you use it properly.

Reactions: A1218

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
44 Posts

Reactions: A1218

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,674 Posts
Have Safelite fix it. That’s the best way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Check with your insurance company regarding your comprehensive coverage. This might be a zero-cost fix for you.

Reactions: jjpark

·
Registered
248 Posts
^^^ that. Before doing anything, check with your insurance.
Yep. Many insurance companies will pay for the $50-$75 hoping to avoid the cost of having to pay for a full replacement- which can run over $1000.

Reactions: jjpark

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had safelite repair mine and the results were not what I was told. I just got another big ass chip so I’ll be replacing the windshield soon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
As long as it's not a large crack, you can at least attempt a repair first and in most cases, insurance will cover it.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
If it didn't get into the laminate, they can usually repair it.
Have a pro look at it...they use UV lights to cure the epoxy.
That's nothing I'd ever attempt myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it is zero cost with the insurance. I made the appt today at safelite so I’ll share the results.

Worth a try if it’s free.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,646 Posts
Just keep in mind, the glue or what ever they use will eventually start breaking down. Is that a bad thing? NO.

I have had three of those marbles repaired on my windshield (Now at 82k+) and the next one I will be asking for a full replacement. I have enough road rash that visibility in a rising or setting sun is past my acceptable level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It came out pretty decent actually. Barley see a speck from outside if close and looking. And it’s smooth.

Only on the inside you can see the markings a little.

Before and after

·
Registered
422 Posts
I repaired my own when it happened on my F150. It's held up, but your repair is far better. Next time, I'll let the pros do it.

- Jack

·
Registered
30 Posts
An alternative to safelite is an independent windshield repair shop. Had one fix mine and their is no sign that there was ever a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts