Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else with a brand new car, but with less than 500miles on my new car, I have to get a windshield replacement, since the crack propagating is an inch longer than a dollar bill. I've looked in the previous generation forums, but figured I could start something here in the 10th generation forums for future reference.

I was unfortunate enough that a piece of debris hit my windshield yesterday... I was being passed by a truck so I wasn't even going that fast... like around 50mph, and it struck in the location of the lower passenger after I heard a noise hit. I have insurance from Geico, and they usually source work with Safelite in my state, but because this happened on the weekend, will have to wait until the next business day on Monday.

If anyone can please chime in to ease my stress, it would be greatly appreciated. I've had work done with Safelite in my past cars and the location here does excellent work. I am more concerned about the electronics. I've seen the disassembly of the housing for the camera and the rain sensor and it doesn't look too invasive, but at this point am not sure if I should go with OEM route windshield or not.

According to Safelite's website, the car is too new to even get a quote and so the 2018 Accord windshields are not even in their database. Will see how this plays out, but on my Accord, it's manufactured by AGC and hopefully it doesn't take too long for replacements to come in.

So my main question is this, due to the amount of OEM vs non-OEM replacements, I've been reading incompatibilities with past systems not working with non-OEM windshield replacements. In my mind, I think it's due to camera calibration issues, so after it is replaced, I will definitely have to take to the dealership to see what they can do for this process. Alternatively, I'm also thinking of maybe having the work done by the Honda Collision center here, and maybe they'll give me a loaner and also take care of the calibration in process, but am not sure of the quality of their work. Thoughts?

Stay safe out there!

Attachments

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that’s crazy. Such bad luck! Have you called your insurance company yet? They do a lot with windshields.
Yes it is, it's unfortunate but I'm not complaining, as anything could be a lot worse. I've already called Geico, and the claim is already in the process, they have to do a follow-up with me on Monday since everything is basically closed on the weekend. At this point, I'm leaning heavily on an OEM windshield. With the car being so new, I would have to think that 3rd-party/aftermarket glass are not available yet, but who knows...

I'm calling both Safelite and my local Honda Service/Collision center early on Monday to see what potential quotes are.

· 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
20 Posts
I feel your pain !!!! On Feb 1 I was following a tractor trailer and it kicked up a stone and hit my windshield in almost the same spot as yours. Safelite had no listing, so I went to my dealer. They don't do glass themselves, but they told me where to go and to make sure that original OEM Honda glass was going used. Otherwise, they said they would be unable to calibrate the camera that is used for LKAS and ACC and other safety features. So I had the windshield replaced and then took my car to the dealer and had the camera recalibrated. The place that replaced the glass charged my insurance company $1004, which included $800 for the Honda windshield, (but I think they actually paid about $550 to the dealer). Then it cost me $126 to have the camera recalibrated which is also covered by insurance. BTW, my car is a Sport 2.0T, so it doesn't have the rain sensing or HUD features. I'm not sure how much extra that windshield would cost.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel your pain !!!! On Feb 1 I was following a tractor trailer and it kicked up a stone and hit my windshield in almost the same spot as yours. Safelite had no listing, so I went to my dealer. They don't do glass themselves, but they told me where to go and to make sure that original OEM Honda glass was going used. Otherwise, they said they would be unable to calibrate the camera that is used for LKAS and ACC and other safety features. So I had the windshield replaced and then took my car to the dealer and had the camera recalibrated. The place that replaced the glass charged my insurance company $1004, which included $800 for the Honda windshield, (but I think they actually paid about $550 to the dealer). Then it cost me $126 to have the camera recalibrated which is also covered by insurance. BTW, my car is a Sport 2.0T, so it doesn't have the rain sensing or HUD features. I'm not sure how much extra that windshield would cost.
Thanks for the detailed info and pricing! Sorry that happened. Do you notice any other issues with noise, wind, etc... or the LKAS and ACC after you had it replaced?

I'm pretty sure that my dealership will outsource the windshield replacement work as well. There's this bulletin for others who want the reference, although I couldn't find anything more recent:

Honda-cautions-that-new-driver-assistsafety-systems-require-oe-parts-replacement

· Reverse Gear
1,193 Posts
This may vary from state to state, but when I had a claim with Geico, they told me that as long as my car was 2 years old or less, I was allowed to choose Honda Replacement glass. My claim was many years ago and their policies may have changed so let us know what you find.

· 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
20 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info and pricing! Sorry that happened. Do you notice any other issues with noise, wind, etc... or the LKAS and ACC after you had it replaced?

I'm pretty sure that my dealership will outsource the windshield replacement work as well. There's this bulletin for others who want the reference, although I couldn't find anything more recent:

Honda-cautions-that-new-driver-assistsafety-systems-require-oe-parts-replacement
No, no issues with anything after the windshield replacement. The place that replaced the glass also replaced the upper and lower windshield moldings, which cost about $60 and also was covered by insurance. After replacing the windshield, the ACC and LKAS still kinda worked, but not 100% until after the camera was recalibrated.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This may vary from state to state, but when I had a claim with Geico, they told me that as long as my car was 2 years old or less, I was allowed to choose Honda Replacement glass. My claim was many years ago and their policies may have changed so let us know what you find.
I will definitely keep track of the paper trail and quotes and report back here. Hopefully the physical replacements can be obtained within next week.

No, no issues with anything after the windshield replacement. The place that replaced the glass also replaced the upper and lower windshield moldings, which cost about $60 and also was covered by insurance. After replacing the windshield, the ACC and LKAS still kinda worked, but not 100% until after the camera was recalibrated.
That's good to know, yeah I had a feeling things would have to be recalibrated since there are inevitable variances in camera positions with the new windshield install. Any clue how long that calibration took at your dealership? Thanks! :smile

· 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
20 Posts
I will definitely keep track of the paper trail and quotes and report back here. Hopefully the physical replacements can be obtained within next week.

That's good to know, yeah I had a feeling things would have to be recalibrated since there are inevitable variances in camera positions with the new windshield install. Any clue how long that calibration took at your dealership? Thanks! :smile
The camera recalibration only took about one hour, but I got the impression that they have done it many times. Other dealers may have much less expierience doing this task. My brother works as a mechanic at a small Honda dealership in Virginia, and he told me that they have never had to do a camera realignment (yet).

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The camera recalibration only took about one hour, but I got the impression that they have done it many times. Other dealers may have much less expierience doing this task. My brother works as a mechanic at a small Honda dealership in Virginia, and he told me that they have never had to do a camera realignment (yet).
Thanks, that makes sense. Ever since I got my car in the middle of January, I haven't seen ANY 2018 Accords in my area, so maybe I might be the first, but I had some stuff done with my local service department and they are pretty good so far. Will see what happens.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
37 Posts
This just happen to me also. :-(

I was coming to a stop at about 25 MPH when the car in front of me happen to pick up a small rock and BAM!!!!!!!
seem that the glass of the 10th gen is more prone to damage.
I been hit in my 9th gen and hit HARD yet never exhibited any damage - don't get me wrong do see the very small mark size of a tip of a pen but that's it.

Here is a picture of my windshield damage and it grew about 3 inches every day till i got it replaced.
As you can see it is very similar to others here.

I have to share here in SoCal my cost was a bit more. (Repairs were done at Honda with Honda parts - but not labor)

Windshield
Molding
Clips & Seals
Calibration
Labor (outsourced)

Total = $1382.90

Attachments

· Registered
154 Posts
Definitely get the OEM replacement for the 2.0 Touring. I have Geico as well. I have had windshields replaced in the past and have always requested OEM. The touring models have to many gadgets that rely on the windshield and this is the only way to go. Not sure if you have to pay anything or not but in Florida windshield replacements through insurance are free and non deductible.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The camera recalibration only took about one hour, but I got the impression that they have done it many times.
This just happen to me also. :-(
Sorry to see that happen to you 332rick, and your impact happened at a much less speed than mine! And thanks for sharing the pic of the windshield with the serial, what model is your Accord? That's crazy... I do think that the edges are especially fragile for our 2018 Accords... Never had this happen on any of my older vehicles even on the edges, oh well. So both TCFenton1 and 332rick, about how long did you guys have to wait until the OEM windshield arrived, after talking to your insurance or third-party in terms of ordering?

Definitely get the OEM replacement for the 2.0 Touring. I have Geico as well.
I'm definitely getting the OEM replacement, and I don't even think it's possible at this early point in time for companies to do a third-party glass replacement, so that's kind of a relief. I can't edit the OP, but here's an update on my situation so far:

2/12/2018: In my state since I have comprehensive coverage, nothing should come out of my pocket, including camera recalibration as I have checked with Geico. I also called Honda and they outsource the labor in terms of the windshield replacement, so the dealership gave me the contact info for First Choice Auto Glass (FCAG). I called FCAG and with Geico on the line, and they got my VIN of the car as well but I stressed on OEM replacement. FCAG said they would call me back to confirm, but it's not the end of the week yet, so I'm assuming they have already put in the order for the windshield. Will see what the status is tomorrow on Friday.

As I suspected, the different model windshields will have different serials. I told them to basically order TVA-A3 (Touring Models). Thanks to 332rick, otherwise I wouldn't have known for certain that different windshields display a different serial number.

So here's what we have so far in terms of OEM Windshields:
  • TVA-A1 - has the camera, and ?
  • TVA-A2 - no confirmation from anyone yet, has the camera, and ?
  • TVA-A3 - Touring, has the camera and rain sensor

· Registered
37 Posts
@ ObsidianBlu2T mine is a Sport 2.0T

It took about 5 days

Dropped my car off @ Honda on a Thursday and it was done by mid day Monday but did not pick it up till Tuesday because of chance of rain so they kept inside for a day.

Here is a website if you like to search for parts
2018 are now listed, not like other dealer webpage that have not list all 2018 models just yet.

You can also search by VIN if you like. ------> OEM Honda Parts at up to 50% off MSRP | Welcome to the Honda Parts Network.

· Registered
44 Posts
Sorry this happened! Wow! I was driving on the interstate this past weekend and I watched in horror as something flew up and hit my windshield, but *thankfully* nothing chipped or cracked. I've had bad luck in the past with chipped and cracked windshields and wasn't looking forward to dealing with it again so soon on this one. I have GEICO as well (of course varying states and circumstances on the policy can vary how it all plays out but still) and so I'm curious what your final outcome will be for future reference.

· 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
20 Posts
Sorry to see that happen to you 332rick, and your impact happened at a much less speed than mine! And thanks for sharing the pic of the windshield with the serial, what model is your Accord? That's crazy... I do think that the edges are especially fragile for our 2018 Accords... Never had this happen on any of my older vehicles even on the edges, oh well. So both TCFenton1 and 332rick, about how long did you guys have to wait until the OEM windshield arrived, after talking to your insurance or third-party in terms of ordering?

The glass installer called the Honda dealer to order the windshield on Friday 2/2, and they called me Monday morning 2/5 to schedule the replacement, which was done that same afternoon. So either the dealer had the windshield in stock (doubtful) or they were able to get it real quick.

· Registered
52 Posts
I have one long crack across the top of my windshield and s all crack on the lower passenger side. Also about 5 tiny chips from rocks hitting it on the highway. All from my 160 mile commute to work everyday.
The glass on the 2018 Accord is definitely different than my other cars. I have driven the same highway since 2015 with 3 of my past cars and none of hem encountered these cracks and chips although I do hear rocks hitting them.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.