Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
2020 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid to get the windshield tinted. Had this done on our CR-V Hybrid and it made a world of difference on hot days... really happy with the performance! Shop I went to in OKC Metro area uses Llumar Air 80 film and it is crystal clear on the glass and really helps keep the heat out.

As for concerns regarding the HUD, the image projected is as bright and clear as it was before the windshield tint was installed. Really happy that I finally got it done... Highly recommend!

I know... Clear windshield tint, nothing to see. But she's sparkly clean and looks SO good! 馃榿

Registered
Nice looking tint!

Reactions: johudso7

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im thinking of tinting my touring windshield 50%. Do you think that would effect the HUD?
Can鈥檛 answer that question as I don鈥檛 have a dyed tint on mine. Depending on where you live I鈥檓 afraid you would also attract law enforcement with a tinted windshield that actually darkens the glass. This clear tint truly does an awesome job at cutting down on the heat that comes in through the windshield.

I understand that you might be wanting the look of the darker windshield, I personally don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 worth the trouble it might cause. However, if you do go down that road, please report back as I鈥檓 sure it would look pretty slick!

Registered
Im thinking of tinting my touring windshield 50%. Do you think that would effect the HUD?
I did not know any state that's not illegal so I looked it up. Apparently only in two states one can legally apply tint to the entire windshield, but the result (glass+tint assembly) has to be 70% vlt or higher. That pretty much rules out any color tint, only clear uv film. Btw a quality clear film helps keep your car cool, if solar heat gain is the concern, do it.

Registered
I had the Air 80 on my last car as the Florida sun was unbearable when it would hit your legs. Not as bad in this Accord compared to my last car, but there are some days when I wish I had it done.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the Air 80 on my last car as the Florida sun was unbearable when it would hit your legs. Not as bad in this Accord compared to my last car, but there are some days when I wish I had it done.
Yes!!! The burning of the legs is what pushed us to get it with our CR-V Hybrid. The sun on our legs would make a trip just unbearable on a hot day! Likely going to get it done to our 2021 Hyundai Palisade as well.... it just makes a world of difference!

Registered
Starting to get warm here again and its time to tint my windows. I saw this precut dealy anyone have any experience with them/this company. Thinking about trying the windshield myself.

Registered
Can鈥檛 answer that question as I don鈥檛 have a dyed tint on mine. Depending on where you live I鈥檓 afraid you would also attract law enforcement with a tinted windshield that actually darkens the glass. This clear tint truly does an awesome job at cutting down on the heat that comes in through the windshield.

I understand that you might be wanting the look of the darker windshield, I personally don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 worth the trouble it might cause. However, if you do go down that road, please report back as I鈥檓 sure it would look pretty slick!
Will do! Im in Florida so yes, absolutely illegal. :sneaky:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its illegal in all but three states and only 70% or greater in those states. Most states only allow the strip to the legal 5" mark.
Yes, even the clear is not legal. I'll try and get away with it as long as I can! 馃檪

Registered
Yes, even the clear is not legal. I'll try and get away with it as long as I can! 馃檪
Yeah although not sure how they could know about the clear because it doesn't effect light transmission. So when they put their tester up to it, would still come back as full light transmission.

Registered
Ordered the 35% strip from northern tint today. Was going to go with the 20% but looks like the car has something like a 90% it built into the factory glass. I'll update once I get it. Will get a professional for the rest and the front windshield clear. For the cost it really does not pay for me to do it myself. They have mobile places here that will do the entire car for about $140 and they come with all the pieces precut already.

Registered
Yeah although not sure how they could know about the clear because it doesn't effect light transmission. So when they put their tester up to it, would still come back as full light transmission.
Lumar Air 80 has a vlt of 77% and Lumar Air 90 has a vlt of 84% according to manufacturer published performance data, even though these are marketed as "clear".

Please be careful about spreading misinformation.

Cruising in Montana
When I had a CR-V, I thought about putting this 3M Crystalline film on the sunroof, for two reasons. To keep the car cooler, and to prevent me from getting a shower of crumbled glass when the sunroof glass shatters. Ultimately it did not get done, mostly because the only shop that handled 3M Crystalline film was 100 miles away, and wanted $150 to do the job - and that was with me bringing the glass to them! The CR-V was sold a few months later.

Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
Great job!

I did seriously look into window tinting last year when I got my hybrid EX-L new. Sunlight here in CT is also burning from June to August. I didn鈥檛 want darker but just blocking sunlight heat.

I finally gave up the idea after checking with a few dealers (redirected from 3M website as 鈥榗ertified dealers). One reason is of course $$$. I figured that money can last longer in refilling gasoline and using max a/c in summer. The other reason is that I was concerned that tinting needs a lot soapy water being used in glass inner side.

Finally I got a reflective windshield cover when parking in hot days.

Did you have to remove everything (EZpass, dash cam etc) when doing the tinting?

Registered
Lumar Air 80 has a vlt of 77% and Lumar Air 90 has a vlt of 84% according to manufacturer published performance data, even though these are marketed as "clear".

Please be careful about spreading misinformation.
Please read the and understand the words before making a statement. Im simply basing my post on the OP stating that "it is crystal clear on the glass". I said "not sure". Try quoting the op and correcting them because if its stopping light transmission it is not really crystal clear or transparent, it is translucent at that point. I am unfamiliar with the product until now. So if it does block some light then yes it would not pass a test, but if it looks clear, they would have no reason to test the front. You are still taking a gamble but probably way less likely to get caught.

Registered
I have Air 80 on my EX-L except on the windshield. Stock windows are tinted 75% from the factory + 77% for the Air80, the final light transmission is about 58%. I had Formula One Pinnacle 35% on my previous car but felt it was a little dark and could cause safety issues as pedestrians and cyclists would not be able to make eye contact with me at a stop sign. Air 80 is great because it cut down heat (43% Total Solar Energy Rejection) and blocks 99%+ Ultraviolet Protection (wavelengths 300- 380nm) without darkening the windows too much.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally I got a reflective windshield cover when parking in hot days.

Did you have to remove everything (EZpass, dash cam etc) when doing the tinting?
So I tinted the windshield because I haste messing with a sunshade. They are big, awkward, and obviously don't keep you cool while driving.

Yes, I did have to remove my dash cam from the glass, but I now have it attached to the rear view mirror with no issues. Doesn't shake or rattle. Really good solution. As far as my toll pass, I bought this product off of Amazon. Makes it so you can re-attach any kind of electronic toll pass or some states have registration stickers that belong on the glass. Product really is a lifesaver! Really slick solution! Even if you don't get your windshield tinted, I recommend the Sticker Shield!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts