Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what everyone was using for the winter. Are you using your OEM wheels and all seasons, snow tires, steelies? Post up some pics and specs of what you're using during the colder months.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I actually have 16" tires for my winters on steelies. I got a real good deal on them so I figured may as well save the cash. I do however find them incredibly ugly.

I'd really like to get a nice set of 19's for summer use and use my factory 17" wheels for winter. Maybe next year, I just bought a new house and there's no room in the budget for wheels this year.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i just tested them out for a day and took the picture... i'll be raising up an inch or so.

oem wheels can be gotten on the cheap if you scout around. this setup ran me a little over $1300 (CL wheels, refinishing two of them, tpms, center caps, tires, road force balance). it's money wasted since my stock 17s would have served me just fine but i've gotten too vain for them lol.

·
Registered
243 Posts
General Altimax (no studs) on 16" steelies. Ugly but gets the job done. And nothing beets the feeling of passing SUVs stuck in the snow.

·
Banned
694 Posts
I'm going to see how my Accord does with just all seasons this year. 205/60 R16 Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids.

When I had my Pontiac Grand Am, I never had an issue in the snow with all seasons, ever. Even during the insane blizzard when my town got over 2.5 feet of snow, just tanked on through the white stuff.

I know how to handle driving in snow, it doesn't intimidate me. My Accord isn't as nose heavy as the Grand Am was, so it may not feel as planted...time will tell.

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,327 Posts
Running Dunlop wintersports on stockers, work great in snow and perform better in the dry than any other snow tire I've run.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To the people rocking the steelies, have you done anything to them to make them not look so bad/not rust?

·
Banned
694 Posts
To the people rocking the steelies, have you done anything to them to make them not look so bad/not rust?
When I had steelies on my Pontiac, I would clean them normally. To make them shine, I used tire gloss. Worked as a good protectant since mine never rusted. If anything, repaint them.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Seems like that would sling and cause a mess. Silicone on the paint is a pain to clean.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Seems like that would sling and cause a mess. Silicone on the paint is a pain to clean.
Never did. I always did wait at least an hour after cleaning the wheels. Also, having rally mudflaps helped as well. lol

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I had steelies on my Pontiac, I would clean them normally. To make them shine, I used tire gloss. Worked as a good protectant since mine never rusted. If anything, repaint them.
Mine started to rust so i decided to paint the fronts and rears of the steelies, while making them different than the regular black.

*On a side note, I want to make the winters flush with the body of the car, does anyone know what size wheel spacers/what's a good brand for my car? They're regular 16" steelies and I wanted to make them sit even the the flares

Attachments

·
Banned
694 Posts
I know the max most cars can have is 8mm to 10mm spacers before needing longer studs.

I'd buy two sets of 5mm spacers, see how they are with just 5mm, then add the other 5mm if its not pushed out enough.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know for the rear, i have to add a lot more than 5mm's because there is a lot of wheel gap that i want to fix. Make it look clean like this

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I know the max most cars can have is 8mm to 10mm spacers before needing longer studs.

I'd buy two sets of 5mm spacers, see how they are with just 5mm, then add the other 5mm if its not pushed out enough.
Or you could just measure for what you actually need lol

·
Banned
694 Posts
Or you could just measure for what you actually need lol
That's just the issue with factory steelies, they're all high offset. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts