Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an Accord Touring 2.0 as soon as the dealer gets around to getting them in stock. The next question is the snows/tires. I have an '11 EX-L and went the -1" option with 16 inch Blizzak WS70s and MSW Type 22's. The MSW's were close enough to the stock that they didn't stand out. The only difference with the new car will be should I go with -1 or -2" setup. Any opinions? I'm outside of NYC and leaning toward a 17 inch setup (-2).

·
Registered
933 Posts
Go with the 17". It's the smallest wheels that will fit the Touring and the tires are significantly less expensive. The 17" tires will be narrower too, which have better traction in snow. In addition, it gives you the most sidewall possible which will give you a more supple ride at a time when the roads are at their worst.

Reactions: v17 and vinuneuro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go with the 17". It's the smallest wheels that will fit the Touring and the tires are significantly less expensive. The 17" tires will be narrower too, which have better traction in snow. In addition, it gives you the most sidewall possible which will give you a more supple ride at a time when the roads are at their worst.
Thanks. What's weird is that the 50 series 17s are actually 46 cents more expensive than the 45 series 18s. (Tire choice: Blizzak WS80 @ tirerack) Still, I think the 17" approach makes most sense, and will make a *lot* more sense after that first pothole. THe tradeoff is that I'll give up a marginally bit of life with thinner tires. I'll make that trade for the traction every time.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Snow tires/wheels: -1" or -2"?

Thanks. What's weird is that the 50 series 17s are actually 46 cents more expensive than the 45 series 18s. (Tire choice: Blizzak WS80 @ tirerack) Still, I think the 17" approach makes most sense, and will make a *lot* more sense after that first pothole. THe tradeoff is that I'll give up a marginally bit of life with thinner tires. I'll make that trade for the traction every time.

Get 215/55-17, they’re $130/tire vs $153 for the 50 series. It’s narrower than the OEM size on the 10th gen (better for winter traction) and has more sidewall.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Curious, why do think narrow tires have less life than wider tires? I get the fact that a wider tire has a larger contact patch and therefore has less surface pressure per inch². In a straight line that might preserve the tread life very slightly. But I believe there is a much larger downside to wider tires. Every turn experiences more wear. The wider the tire, the greater the difference is between the inside and outside turn radius of the tire. As a consequence, part of the tire must skid with each turn of the wheel and literally rubs rubber off the tread, usually from the outside. Unless you do 95% straight line highway driving, turning will hurt tire life more than less surface pressure will help it. If anything I would think a 215 would last longer than a 225.

I also agree with @HondaGuy2 that a 215/55-17 may be the tire for your needs.

• According to the Tirerack, a set of Blizzak WS80’s in 225/50-17 costs $585 after rebate verses only $463 for the 215/55-17.
• In addition, the stock tire on a touring is a 235/40-19. A 225/50-17 is 2.1% smaller. A 215/55-17 is only .3% smaller. (The 225/50-17 is more than a .5” shorter verses less than .1” for the 215/55-17.) A 215/55-17 is a better match to the 235/40-19.

Reactions: v17

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks all.

Going with the 215/55-17 on Bridgestone WS80.

Now to just source a place. Tire Rack shipping to Canada sometimes kills the deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Curious, why do think narrow tires have less life than wider tires? I get the fact that a wider tire has a larger contact patch and therefore has less surface pressure per inch². In a straight line that might preserve the tread life very slightly. But I believe there is a much larger downside to wider tires. Every turn experiences more wear. The wider the tire, the greater the difference is between the inside and outside turn radius of the tire. As a consequence, part of the tire must skid with each turn of the wheel and literally rubs rubber off the tread, usually from the outside. Unless you do 95% straight line highway driving, turning will hurt tire life more than less surface pressure will help it. If anything I would think a 215 would last longer than a 225.

I also agree with @HondaGuy2 that a 215/55-17 may be the tire for your needs.

• According to the Tirerack, a set of Blizzak WS80’s in 225/50-17 costs $585 after rebate verses only $463 for the 215/55-17.
• In addition, the stock tire on a touring is a 235/40-19. A 225/50-17 is 2.1% smaller. A 215/55-17 is only .3% smaller. (The 225/50-17 is more than a .5” shorter verses less than .1” for the 215/55-17.) A 215/55-17 is a better match to the 235/40-19.
Thanks - it looks like 215/55 is the way to go. As for my original feelings on the wider vs. narrower, we're probably talking 6 of one half dozen of another so I'll save the $ :).

Get 215/55-17, they’re $130/tire vs $153 for the 50 series. It’s narrower than the OEM size on the 10th gen (better for winter traction) and has more sidewall.
Curious --- what wheels do you have for winter?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Thanks - it looks like 215/55 is the way to go. As for my original feelings on the wider vs. narrower, we're probably talking 6 of one half dozen of another so I'll save the $ :).
Agreed, the wear difference between a 215mm and even a 245mm is probably near zero, but the thought process is fun. It is also odd that the 2018 Accord LX/EX/EX-L all use a 225/50-17 tire but the Sport/Touring use a taller 235/40-19 tire. Given the 10AT gear ratios/final drive are identical on all models, I believe that implies a 2% speedometer error for one of them. Seems to me like the 225/50-17s should be 215/55-17s, but I guess that extra 10mm of width is important to Honda at the expense of a shorter tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
17” OEM Accord wheels.

Great setup! Both wheels looks great with the car. We have a condo with only a parking spot, so I actually have become quite speedy with the OEM jack using the ousted wheel as my "jack stand". I'm jealous of the jack, but the property taxes in Westchester county are brutal so I'll suck up the lack of a garage :). Thanks again for the tire size tips - kinda surprised that the tirerack suggested size was 225/50/17...but given that those are substantially more cash than the 215/55/17s
maybe I shouldn't be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, and to those who provided input.

I've been shopping around for a winter wheel and tire setup for my Sport. The potholes around here have started to show up a little early this year. With the nicer wheels and low profile tires, I don't want to damage them; I also want to keep them away from the road salt and grit that'll attack the finish.

I was already considering the minus 2 sizing. The suggestion of the 215 width was nice. I'm not looking to spend a lot, so I was thinking about going with some 8th Gen wheels. While they won't look as stylish, I wouldn't feel as bad subjecting them to the conditions that winter brings. I think they're 17x7.5, with a +55 offset. I haven't seen the offset spec for the 17 inch wheels on the 10th Gen, but I'd imagine that the 8th Gen wheels should be compatible with my car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, and to those who provided input.

I've been shopping around for a winter wheel and tire setup for my Sport. The potholes around here have started to show up a little early this year. With the nicer wheels and low profile tires, I don't want to damage them; I also want to keep them away from the road salt and grit that'll attack the finish.

I was already considering the minus 2 sizing. The suggestion of the 215 width was nice. I'm not looking to spend a lot, so I was thinking about going with some 8th Gen wheels. While they won't look as stylish, I wouldn't feel as bad subjecting them to the conditions that winter brings. I think they're 17x7.5, with a +55 offset. I haven't seen the offset spec for the 17 inch wheels on the 10th Gen, but I'd imagine that the 8th Gen wheels should be compatible with my car.
I just bought these wheels with Blizzak 225-45-18 WS-80 tires. Have yet to use them but mounted them on the car and the fit was perfect.

AFTERMARKET STEEL WHEEL,18X7,5-114.3,64.1,40P (X48515) Link from Ebay

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks, I think I found the right place: Just wanted to know what's the size of the 17" OEM wheels (tried to look but don't think the info. is readily available yet?) Looking to get a set of wheels for the winter tires before I get the car, thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi folks, I think I found the right place: Just wanted to know what's the size of the 17" OEM wheels (tried to look but don't think the info. is readily available yet?) Looking to get a set of wheels for the winter tires before I get the car, thanks!
According to the owners manual, they're 17 x 7.5. I haven't found the offset spec though.

I had my winter wheels installed the other day. 8th Gen Accord wheels 2008-2010, 7 spoke, 17 x 7.5, +55 offset. My tires are Toyo Celsius, 215/55R17. They do sit inward a tad when compared to my 19" Sport wheels, but other than that I have no issues with the fitment.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Winter wheels thread

I did a quick search and did not find a thread dedicated to winter wheels.

Platinum White 2.0T Touring.
Picked her up Friday, received the winter wheel set up yesterday, (Tirerack), threw them on last night. Andros R9 18x8 et45. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 225/45/18.
Sorry if the pics are massive. A couple before and after.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Man, that's a good looking car...:smile
I'd be interested to know how those tires perform, as we're about to get slammed, here, with the biggest storm of the season, tomorrow.
I've yet to add snow tires to my Accord, or any other vehicle, really... but I've been thinking about it...

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thank you.
Will do. I would recommend winter tires if your budget can accommodate them.

It was either these or the Blizzak WS80's. I've owned both Michelin and Bridgestone winter tires. The performance was pretty equal between the two based on the ratings on TR. For me the biggest factor was tread wear. Most of winter driving is on clear/dry roads, so I wanted something that would hold up better and not get chewed up in a just a few seasons.
I had X-Ice Xi2's on my GTi and they were fantastic. I had four winter seasons on them and were about to go through their fifth before I decided to trade her in for the Accord.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's my winter setup. Stock 18" Wheels with Dunlop Winter Maxx Tires.

The tires are great in the snow and ice. They are my first set of winter tires ever so I'm not speaking from experience but they handle terribly in normal conditions (dry or wet). Is this normal? I have needed to slow down my cornering for these tires. I am happy to run them though because the security of being able to drive in the snow and ice.

Can't wait to put on my new setup when winter is over!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did a quick search and did not find a thread dedicated to winter wheels.

Platinum White 2.0T Touring.

Picked her up Friday, received the winter wheel set up yesterday, (Tirerack), threw them on last night. Andros R9 18x8 et45. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 225/45/18.

Sorry if the pics are massive. A couple before and after.

Thinking about going to an 18’ wheel in general. Was wondering the driving difference from the 19s? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 179 Posts