Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, I think the stock offset for the Sport 19" wheels is +50. I found the specs here: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/specs-for-wheels-tires-brakes-check-here-first.540351/

I went with 7.5" wide wheels with a +55 offset. I think the wheels are the ones from the 8th Gen Accord V6 Sedan. I didn't want to go all the way down to 7" since the OEM wheels are already pretty wide at 8.5", and the 10th Gen EX/LX wheels are also 7.5". I think an offset anywhere between +40 and +55 should work. The aftermarket wheels offered on Tirerack are usually between +40 to +45. In my case, a lower offset probably would have been nicer, but I wanted to go with an OEM style Honda/Acura wheel so I wouldn't have to worry about hub centering rings and different lugnut styles.
I don't have a horse in this race, meaning that I live in central California and we don't deal with extremely cold and snowy winters here, but I own a 2019 Accord Sport and I do find wheel changing interesting. A good reason to go for smaller aftermarket wheels would be weight as those wheels tend to be lighter than stock wheels of the same size. Sure having to consider hub centric rings and corresponding lug nuts is something extra to deal with, but in my opinion I don't feel like it's too much more to deal with. To each their own on that I suppose. As for older generation Accord 17" wheels, my concern has been with the offset since they're usually +55. As Senser posted in a different thread after switching to 2013 Accord wheels of there being "less aerodynamic efficiency", makes me think with the wheels recessed in seems to have more of a drawback besides looks.

Taken from this thread
https://www.driveaccord.net/threads...they-fit-over-calipers-and-rotors-yes.537585/

Here's an update!

Just mounted some Blizzak WS80's at 215/55/R17 which in actual measurements were .18" smaller than the OE sport wheels and tires, I had scraped my front bumper coming out of the parking lot earlier right after the install :(
Discount Tire in my area had the best pricing on these excellent winter tires and I got the used 2013 Accord EX-L wheels for a great price from some local classifieds.

They clear the brake calipers and suspension just fine, except the wheels are definitely not as flush with the body as the sport wheels were. They do weigh significantly lighter than the sport wheels and tires, but the rolling resistance and less aerodynamic efficiency leaves me to guess that the mileage I'll get will probably be about the same.

Hahah I actually did the opposite! I went from an '07 Camry to a 2018 Accord.
Don't get me wrong, I do also like the idea of sticking with Honda wheels as I do see a benefit from not having to worry about hub centric rings as well as being able to use your existing lug nuts... And in going with that train of thought, I'm surprised hardly anyone (at least that I've seen) has considered just how good of a fit 3rd Gen Acura TL wheels are for our 10th Gen Accords. The '04 to '08 TL 17" wheels are 17x8 +45 offset. To me that should be good for both handling, comfortable ride and looks with regarding not recessing in the wheel well like older Accord wheels. Of course looks as far as wheel style are subjective and left to personal taste at that point. There were 3 styles of 3rd Gen TL wheels and so you would have a choice. I see old TL wheels for sale in local Craiglist or other marketplace posts, so they're somewhat easy to get. Forum member JusDina posted a pic of his Accord Sport with '04-'06 TL wheels in a different thread:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like the TL wheels on that car. When I put 17s on my 2.0 Sport (actually bought them for a 9th gen Sport) I went with a 225/55 tire. It's 1.1% taller than the oem 235/40/19. I think the extra diameter of the tire fills the wheel well up a little and makes the 17s look more natural on the 10 gen. The factory 225/50/17 tires are actually 1.9% smaller in diameter than the 19s.

18.4 lbs lighter per corner. Really like the way it drives. I think this would be a good size to consider for snow tires. Surprised the 225/50 17 is so much smaller in diameter than the 19 inch. Wonder if Honda re calibrates for this. If not this could account for some of the mileage difference? Odo would be recording +1.9% for the same amount of fuel burned. (circumference is also -1.9%) .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Odd question, but I'm also considering the swap

Would 17x7.5, 45mm offset fit on a 2019 Sport? Looking for a winter tire setup that I can run 215/55/17 on.

Yeah, I think the stock offset for the Sport 19" wheels is +50. I found the specs here: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/specs-for-wheels-tires-brakes-check-here-first.540351/

I went with 7.5" wide wheels with a +55 offset. I think the wheels are the ones from the 8th Gen Accord V6 Sedan. I didn't want to go all the way down to 7" since the OEM wheels are already pretty wide at 8.5", and the 10th Gen EX/LX wheels are also 7.5". I think an offset anywhere between +40 and +55 should work. The aftermarket wheels offered on Tirerack are usually between +40 to +45. In my case, a lower offset probably would have been nicer, but I wanted to go with an OEM style Honda/Acura wheel so I wouldn't have to worry about hub centering rings and different lugnut styles.
Wheel noobie here, how can I tell if I'd need hub centering rings/different lugnuts when wheel shopping?

In addition, just wanted to double check although your comment pretty much confirms it, but a 17x7.5 +45mm offset on 215/55/17 would work on an Accord Sport, correct?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wheel noobie here, how can I tell if I'd need hub centering rings/different lugnuts when wheel shopping?
If you're a wheel noobie I'd suggest buying from the Tirerack or Discounttire they should give you everything you will need as far as rings and lugs goes. Not sure what wheels might come in the same hub bore as Honda but you will need centering rings for almost any aftermarket wheel. If the wheels don't come witth rings you will have to find buy them seperately. Honda lug nuts are made for a ball seat so if you get wheels with conical holes you will need different nuts. Some wheels take a special nut like the Enkies I have. The recess in the face of the rim for the nut is narrow so there is a small splined nut with a special socket you need to install them.

In addition, just wanted to double check although your comment pretty much confirms it, but a 17x7.5 +45mm offset on 215/55/17 would work on an Accord Sport, correct?
That's the factory size for 17s for the 10th Gen Accord so yes those will fit fine. Finding a set of OEM 17s will make things simple.

Reactions: AllForgotten

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes. That's the size wheel on the 2.0T EX-L that has the same size brakes as the Sport.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sure having to consider hub centric rings and corresponding lug nuts is something extra to deal with, but in my opinion I don't feel like it's too much more to deal with. To each their own on that I suppose. As for older generation Accord 17" wheels, my concern has been with the offset since they're usually +55. As Senser posted in a different thread after switching to 2013 Accord wheels of there being "less aerodynamic efficiency", makes me think with the wheels recessed in seems to have more of a drawback besides looks.

Taken from this thread
https://www.driveaccord.net/threads...they-fit-over-calipers-and-rotors-yes.537585/

Don't get me wrong, I do also like the idea of sticking with Honda wheels as I do see a benefit from not having to worry about hub centric rings as well as being able to use your existing lug nuts...
If it were only me driving the car and doing all the maintenance, then sure, I could deal with the extra hardware. But it isn't the case. My wife has taken the car to the dealer for a winter wheel swap, and I wouldn't want to burden her with keeping track of all that extra stuff. And if she had to call roadside assistance for a tire issue (it has happened before), I'd like to keep things simple for whoever does the tire change.

Yeah, it looks like the +55 offset is what's pretty much available on some of the older style wheels. The 10th Gen 17" wheels are another viable option with their lower offset, but it seems like it would be harder to swing a good deal on them.

And in going with that train of thought, I'm surprised hardly anyone (at least that I've seen) has considered just how good of a fit 3rd Gen Acura TL wheels are for our 10th Gen Accords. The '04 to '08 TL 17" wheels are 17x8 +45 offset. To me that should be good for both handling, comfortable ride and looks with regarding not recessing in the wheel well like older Accord wheels. Of course looks as far as wheel style are subjective and left to personal taste at that point. There were 3 styles of 3rd Gen TL wheels and so you would have a choice. I see old TL wheels for sale in local Craiglist or other marketplace posts, so they're somewhat easy to get. Forum member JusDina posted a pic of his Accord Sport with '04-'06 TL wheels in a different thread:

View attachment 516407
Also keep in mind that the wheel width one chooses also depends on the tire size they want to use. Pretty much all the 215 width tires are supposed to be mounted on a rim between 6-7.5" wide, and the 225 width tires are supposed to mounted on a rim 6-8" wide. This wouldn't be the best option for those who do end up going with the narrower 215 width tire, but would be a great one for whoever gets a 225 width tire.

Those 3rd Gen TL wheels do look surprisingly nice though on the 10G Accord.(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes. That's the size wheel on the 2.0T EX-L that has the same size brakes as the Sport.
Thanks a lot! I tried shopping for 17" OEMs but I cant find any non scuffed ones on sale and aftermarket is a lot cheaper than brand new OEM, so I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the right size.

If you're a wheel noobie I'd suggest buying from the Tirerack or Discounttire they should give you everything you will need as far as rings and lugs goes. Not sure what wheels might come in the same hub bore as Honda but you will need centering rings for almost any aftermarket wheel. If the wheels don't come witth rings you will have to find buy them seperately. Honda lug nuts are made for a ball seat so if you get wheels with conical holes you will need different nuts. Some wheels take a special nut like the Enkies I have. The recess in the face of the rim for the nut is narrow so there is a small splined nut with a special socket you need to install them.

That's the factory size for 17s for the 10th Gen Accord so yes those will fit fine. Finding a set of OEM 17s will make things simple.
Thanks a lot Chad! I tried finding a set of OEM 17s but I couldn't find a decent set for sale that was cheap enough/not scuffed, and I didn't wanna throw steelies on it so I'm taking a look at aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like the TL wheels on that car. When I put 17s on my 2.0 Sport (actually bought them for a 9th gen Sport) I went with a 225/55 tire. It's 1.1% taller than the oem 235/40/19. I think the extra diameter of the tire fills the wheel well up a little and makes the 17s look more natural on the 10 gen. The factory 225/50/17 tires are actually 1.9% smaller in diameter than the 19s.

18.4 lbs lighter per corner. Really like the way it drives. I think this would be a good size to consider for snow tires. Surprised the 225/50 17 is so much smaller in diameter than the 19 inch. Wonder if Honda re calibrates for this. If not this could account for some of the mileage difference? Odo would be recording +1.9% for the same amount of fuel burned. (circumference is also -1.9%) .
Your wheels do look good. I see both sides of the argument for or 10th Gen Accords, where yeah I can see how one would say the car just needs bigger wheels to look right and also feel that 17" wheels can also look good as well. As for the size difference, I recall reading somewhere in this forum that the dealership has software to select the wheel size. What's also interesting is that the 10th Gen Accord in other markets like Asia have 18" versions of the Touring and Sport wheels.

If it were only me driving the car and doing all the maintenance, then sure, I could deal with the extra hardware. But it isn't the case. My wife has taken the car to the dealer for a winter wheel swap, and I wouldn't want to burden her with keeping track of all that extra stuff. And if she had to call roadside assistance for a tire issue (it has happened before), I'd like to keep things simple for whoever does the tire change.

Yeah, it looks like the +55 offset is what's pretty much available on some of the older style wheels. The 10th Gen 17" wheels are another viable option with their lower offset, but it seems like it would be harder to swing a good deal on them.

Also keep in mind that the wheel width one chooses also depends on the tire size they want to use. Pretty much all the 215 width tires are supposed to be mounted on a rim between 6-7.5" wide, and the 225 width tires are supposed to mounted on a rim 6-8" wide. This wouldn't be the best option for those who do end up going with the narrower 215 width tire, but would be a great one for whoever gets a 225 width tire.

Those 3rd Gen TL wheels do look surprisingly nice though on the 10G Accord.(y)
Totally understand, sometimes it's best to keep things as simple as possible if other people/family members are take into consideration. As for 225 width tire, yes a 7.5" wheel is probably ideal, but people have put 205 width tires on an 8" wheel before without problems. Guess it depends on preference and what you're comfortable with. Some tires do have thicker sidewalls than others, so this may be one of those "your mileage may vary" situations...

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey y'all, so I read through this thread for the most part and believe the answer is "yes," but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger: would this setup fit my 2.0T sport correctly? The blizzaks are on closeout so it's a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That package will work just fine. Blizzaks are great in the snow but be careful on dry pavement with the 2.0t. They wear really quickly on dry roads. Especially if you have a heavy foot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That package will work just fine. Blizzaks are great in the snow but be careful on dry pavement with the 2.0t. They wear really quickly on dry roads. Especially if you have a heavy foot.
Any recommendation for a winter tire that might be better? From my reading the WS80 seems to be the all-around best, but I live in NYC where the roads generally are plowed. But I also use the car mainly to drive out of the city where the conditions won't necessarily be the same.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any recommendation for a winter tire that might be better? From my reading the WS80 seems to be the all-around best, but I live in NYC where the roads generally are plowed. But I also use the car mainly to drive out of the city where the conditions won't necessarily be the same.
It’s not limited to the Blizzak. Any winter tire has softer rubber compounds which don’t harden until they reach much lower temperatures than freezing. Vs. an A/S or summer tire which quickly turn into hockey pucks below freezing.

FWIW I have the exact same package in my cart at tire rack right now. Just trying to see if I can move my old 16” set (curse the larger brakes on the 2019 hybrid vs the 2018 I nearly bought!!) to recoupe costs.

This will be my fourth set of Blizzak (four different cars) tires, and I still love them.

Hey y'all, so I read through this thread for the most part and believe the answer is "yes," but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger: would this setup fit my 2.0T sport correctly? The blizzaks are on closeout so it's a pretty good deal.
View attachment 516616
And crap, looks like they just sold out of that size. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any winter tire has softer rubber compounds which don’t harden until they reach much lower temperatures than freezing. Vs. an A/S or summer tire which quickly turn into hockey pucks below freezing.
Ahh I see. Well it's def below freezing in NY for the whole winter, so that should be fine for me.

And crap, looks like they just sold out of that size. :(
noooo hahaha I waited too long to pull the trigger ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ahh I see. Well it's def below freezing in NY for the whole winter, so that should be fine for me.

noooo hahaha I waited too long to pull the trigger ?
Sigh. Now it’s either find some on eBay/craigslist used, or shell out an additional $160 for the WS90’s. as far as I know the WS90 isn’t particularly more advanced than the WS80..... a little bit, but not much. Annoying all around.

Hey, I just chatted with Tire Rack. They actually DO have some 215/55r17 WS80’s left, but they’re in the west coast warehouse vs. the east coast one. If you’re on the east coast it won’t show them as available at all, and they have to get special permission to override it due to the increased cost of shipping cross country. In any case I just got my set of discounted closeout WS80’s ordered. Hit up their online chat and see if they can take care of you too....... and save $160.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, I just chatted with Tire Rack. They actually DO have some 215/55r17 WS80’s left, but they’re in the west coast warehouse vs. the east coast one. If you’re on the east coast it won’t show them as available at all, and they have to get special permission to override it due to the increased cost of shipping cross country. In any case I just got my set of discounted closeout WS80’s ordered. Hit up their online chat and see if they can take care of you too....... and save $160.
I just messaged them after seeing this, apparently they only have three left ?who was the one who purchased an odd amount of tires hahaha. Are you aware of what the next best setup might be for me? I guess I might have to go for the WS90s. Would it be a poor idea to do 2 ws80s and 2 ws90s? ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just messaged them after seeing this, apparently they only have three left ?who was the one who purchased an odd amount of tires hahaha. Are you aware of what the next best setup might be for me? I guess I might have to go for the WS90s. Would it be a poor idea to do 2 ws80s and 2 ws90s? ?
Well that’s lame. I’ve only bought mine in sets, but I guess if someone had a damaged tire it would make sense. I had to replace a wheel last season after finding an invisible pot hole and denting the wheel to the point it broke the bead seal.

As long as you keep the performance characteristics the same on the axle pair it should be fine. The biggest difference I’ve read about in the WS90 reviews from the beginning of the year was at extreme performance limit. It has slightly different silica compounds, and different siping grooves. The Ws90 is also available in more sizes than the WS80. If one assumes the WS90 is more grippy, then you’d just want to put those on the rear axle. Buying two of each will save you about $80, so it’s up to you waiting longer for the older model is worth that amount of money..

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T 6 MT
Winter Wheels - American Racing AR928 Gloss Black 17X7 +40
Winter Tires - 225/50R 17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL

They didn't have the steelie option when I ordered these but I think the wheels look pretty good on it for the winter season. Ordered from Tire Rack and it came with hub rings preinstalled and a lug adapter that lets you use the 19mm socket with the included lug nuts. Just put the adapater and 5 OEM lugs in the trunk for if you have a flat.

Winter Accord.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, another wheel noobie here. Is it possible to get 215/55/17 for 2019 EX-L with 17" OEM tires. I see a lot of discussion for sports and touring which has 19" OEM tires (maybe I might have missed the discussion for 17").

·
Registered
132 Posts
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T 6 MT
Winter Wheels - American Racing AR928 Gloss Black 17X7 +40
Winter Tires - 225/50R 17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL

They didn't have the steelie option when I ordered these but I think the wheels look pretty good on it for the winter season. Ordered from Tire Rack and it came with hub rings preinstalled and a lug adapter that lets you use the 19mm socket with the included lug nuts. Just put the adapater and 5 OEM lugs in the trunk for if you have a flat.

View attachment 516751
those look pretty sharp. I think they just started carrying the 17x6.5/17x7 steel wheels in the last month. I remember looking this summer after we bought our car and there weren’t any listed then.

121 - 140 of 179 Posts